PG Music Home
Hi,

I recently purchased BIAB 2012 Pro, and would like to use it for generating backing accompanyments for guitar practice (so my note choices better reflect the chord progressions). I've also recently purchased Scuffman S-Gear VST amp sim, and would like to use this on my guitar input, but I'm having some problems making this all work together. My setup is pretty capable: I've got BB 2012, a bunch of VST plugins, Reaper, and for computer hardware it's an RME 9652 connected to an SSL Alphalink AD/DA.

Is it possible to monitor live input in BIAB through a plugin? When I hit 'record' on the audio source I see the meters move, but don't hear anything until I playback. Obviously this is useless for practice...

Is there an option to use something like re-wire with BIAB so I can route it's output to Reaper? I didn't see anything, and when I tried to use Rea-route as my ASIO driver it did not result in any audio being transferred to Reaper. Interstingly enough Rea-Route worked somewhat with RealBand...but had occassional crackles and pops.

I tried assigning BIAB a separate output on my RME 9652 via it's ASIO driver, and then hard-patched that analog output over to another analog input (which I then monitored in Reaper). This seemed promising initially, as I was able to hear the BIAB output monitored through reaper (and could use my control surface to adjust volume), but when I tried to monitor my guitar live input through reaper and with an amp-sim plugin the BIAB signal became fuzzy and distorted. If I bypass the guitar input plugin it would work...I heard my guitar and undistorted BIAB backing, but without the lovely S-gear amp sim.

Perhaps I'm overcomplicating things...it seems to me like this would be a pretty typical application for BB (i.e. guitar practice through an amp-sim plugin). Any help that experienced BB users may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Kris
You can't do it "through" BIAB, bu tyou can run you amp sim (Ampitube v3) in standalone mode using the ASIO drivrs adn then have BIAB playign with the WDM drivers. Works fine here.

Or, drag and drop BAIB tracks over to Reaper and the sky is the limit.
But it can be done in RealBand.
Hi Kris and welcome.

The best way, IMHO, to do this is to use the plug in mode of BiaB to move all of your backing tracks into Reaper. Then you can play them back and record your guitar with no problems. I do this all the time with Sonar. That was what John was referring to in his response. With RealBand you do not have to use the plug in mode, as it will read BiaB files.

I hope this helps and good luck. If you need more information feel free to ask.
Quote:

You can't do it "through" BIAB, bu tyou can run you amp sim (Ampitube v3) in standalone mode using the ASIO drivrs adn then have BIAB playign with the WDM drivers. Works fine here.

Or, drag and drop BAIB tracks over to Reaper and the sky is the limit.

I'd rather not drag & drop at this time. That's fine for practicing entire tunes, but I was thinking it would be fun to be able to quickly change styles & tempos for simple 1 or 2 chord vamps for practicing over.

When you say using ASIO for the amp-sim, and WDB for BIAB, are you using the same audio interface(sound card), and same channels? I would have thought the drivers would prevent you from working in both modes simultaneously.

I'll try it though....

Cheers

Kris
Thanks for your help. As I explained to jazzmandan, drag and drop is not my preferred way to operate for a basic practice session...I'd rather maintain the freedom to change chords, tempo, and style on a whim.

If I can't figure it out I might buy a separate audio interface for BIAB and hard-wire that over to my RME. Not my first choice, but I suspect that will work...

Cheers

Kris
Quote:

I'd rather not drag & drop at this time. That's fine for practicing entire tunes, but I was thinking it would be fun to be able to quickly change styles & tempos for simple 1 or 2 chord vamps for practicing over.

Perfectly understandalble.

Quote:

When you say using ASIO for the amp-sim, and WMD for BIAB, are you using the same audio interface(sound card), and same channels? I would have thought the drivers would prevent you from working in both modes simultaneously. I'll try it though....

Cheers

Kris

Yes, I use the same Audio device (M-Aduio PCI Card), works great. But when I use my my TC-Helicaon VLT as teh sound device it just will not route both signals at the same time, so try what you got and see how it goes.
Quote:

Thanks for your help. As I explained to jazzmandan, drag and drop is not my preferred way to operate for a basic practice session...I'd rather maintain the freedom to change chords, tempo, and style on a whim.

If I can't figure it out I might buy a separate audio interface for BIAB and hard-wire that over to my RME. Not my first choice, but I suspect that will work...

Cheers

Kris

I didn't say drag & drop. RealBand does everything BIAB does & more.Same chord sheet,same styles same everything except you can do what you're asking to do.
Good God, I need to get a spell checker...
Quote:

I didn't say drag & drop. RealBand does everything BIAB does & more.Same chord sheet,same styles same everything except you can do what you're asking to do.

Sorry John, my response was to MarioD (who recommended drag and drop as his preferred method).

Are you saying that RealBand will let me monitor my live input with a plug in active, while I play BIAB files, and will still let me change tempos, styles, etc? If so, then I need to experiment with it some more.

Cheers

Kris
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry John, my response was to MarioD (who recommended drag and drop as his preferred method).

Are you saying that RealBand will let me monitor my live input with a plug in active, while I play BIAB files, and will still let me change tempos, styles, etc? If so, then I need to experiment with it some more.

Cheers

Kris

yes
Quote:

Have you tried the right button? Hover over the word you misspelled and click with right mouse. If you look you can even set it up for American or Austrian spellings. I use it all the time.
Quote:

Quote:

Have you tried the right button? Hover over the word you misspelled and click with right mouse. If you look you can even set it up for American or Austrian spellings. I use it all the time.

No such features available to me in this forum. Certainly in MS-Word I would have this feature, but not here. What gives am I the only one?

Actually, it may be more a problem with my typing and my vision.
Jazzmandan,

Like Kirby, when I type up something in these forums, I get words underlined in a red squiggly line that are misspelt. I can then right-click on that word and select the correct one from the list that pops up. I didn't set anything to get this working. As far as I'm aware, it's part of the forum software.

Regards,
Noel
Quote:

As far as I'm aware, it's part of the forum software.

Nope. It's a part of Firefox, though, and not IE.
Quote:

Quote:

As far as I'm aware, it's part of the forum software.

Nope. It's a part of Firefox, though, and not IE.

Correct.
Live and learn! Seems like another good reason for Firefox
Guys, I am old school on this, never tried anything but IE. Is it time to try somehing new??
Yes! A Mac!lol
© PG Music Forums