PG Music Home
Hi guys any ideas how to covert biab midi styles to use in a Ketron sound module ? ( model MS 40 )
I'm don't know hardly anything about midi, but wouldn't the patch have to be in the Ketron banks? I have no clue how to add to the existing patches that are "in" the hardware.

Stan
Check this Sound on Sound article about the good old (90s?) MS40:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/may95/soltonms40.html

The synth has a GM bank, recommend using that with BB at first. Then the dropdown instrument patch selector will be the same as any other GM synth you are used to using, but with likely better sounds.

I think the GM bank is accessed via a separate dedicated GM Input receptacle. So you could have your accordian, say, plugged into the Solo input and your computer and bb into the GM input. neat.

To access the higher banks, then you will need to have the documentation for the synth that shows the Patches delineated by Bank and Patch number and generate a Patch Map for your synth. Then, once that text file is placed in the bb folder and selected as your Patch map, you can use that to select the Patches for your songs rather than the bb standard GM dropdown slots. (The + to the right of the GM dropdown).

The MANUAL for that particular Ketron is needed.

If you don't have one, check out the Ketron US or Ketron Italy sites to see if they have published a .pdf manual for it, or contact Ketron via email and ask if they can provide.

Don't overlook the bb Patch Map Wizard that allows us to locate a Cakewalk/Sonar Patchmap for a particular synth out there on the web, download it and convert it to work with bb in one mouseclick!

--Mac
With the GM Input you should not have to convert styles or songs that are already playing in bb, you would just have to hook up the GM synth and tell bb to address it at the MIDI output instead.
Quote:

Hi guys any ideas how to covert biab midi styles to use in a Ketron sound module ? ( model MS 40 )

If you are thinking that you could use bb Style files as autoaccompaniment files in the Ketron, forget it.

No way.

--Mac
OK Thanks for your invaluable help Mac. I've got a manual so will try & fathom it out

Quote:

Check this Sound on Sound article about the good old (90s?) MS40:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/may95/soltonms40.html

The synth has a GM bank, recommend using that with BB at first. Then the dropdown instrument patch selector will be the same as any other GM synth you are used to using, but with likely better sounds.

I think the GM bank is accessed via a separate dedicated GM Input receptacle. So you could have your accordian, say, plugged into the Solo input and your computer and bb into the GM input. neat.

To access the higher banks, then you will need to have the documentation for the synth that shows the Patches delineated by Bank and Patch number and generate a Patch Map for your synth. Then, once that text file is placed in the bb folder and selected as your Patch map, you can use that to select the Patches for your songs rather than the bb standard GM dropdown slots. (The + to the right of the GM dropdown).

The MANUAL for that particular Ketron is needed.

If you don't have one, check out the Ketron US or Ketron Italy sites to see if they have published a .pdf manual for it, or contact Ketron via email and ask if they can provide.

Don't overlook the bb Patch Map Wizard that allows us to locate a Cakewalk/Sonar Patchmap for a particular synth out there on the web, download it and convert it to work with bb in one mouseclick!

--Mac

Graham, I have an MS100 and a MS20. I have factoty manuals for both. The Ms100 has a hard drive and superceeded the MS50. The MS50 was the keyboard version of your MS40. The Ms20 was the sound modual only version of the MS50 and MS40. If I can help as in copying what ever you need from either manual, let me know. Leon
Hi, maybe I've misunderstood,
are you actually trying to convert BIAB styles to MS 40 styles, or are you wanting to use MS40 as a midi player or sound module for BIAB?

If you're trying to convert styles to MS40, there's probably only one piece of software that may do it, EMC's style conversion software with the add on BIAB option.

Rather pricey and results are not always useable..

Quote:

© PG Music Forums