PG Music Home
Posted By: axeplayer Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/02/12 05:01 PM
Hi folks,

I would be grateful for any info on the following,

1 Is the sampletank that is included in biab 2013 the same sampletank that can be downloaded free from IK multimedia?

2 How easy is it to use as a synth compared to the ones we are used to in biab, do you have to pick a patch manually for each instrument, rather than load it like the TTS or the Forte or vsc dxi in biab?

Thanks
Axey
Posted By: jford Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/02/12 05:42 PM
In answer to your your questions:

1. Yes it is the same, but PGMusic also includes some of their own instruments which can be played by the SampleTank engine.

2. For the most part, you would use it for individual instruments, not for a whole style. It is not a General MIDI synth. If you use the same instruments for the same tracks, then you can set it up as your default. PGMusic has made it easier to select instruments, however, by providing .TGS files, which basically preload individual instruments and settings. But in general, you would use it more like you use a RealTrack in that you select the sound you want manually.

I hope that made sense.
Posted By: axeplayer Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/02/12 05:45 PM
Thanks a lot John for the very quick reply.

Axey
Posted By: filkertom Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/02/12 06:22 PM
I will point out that if you get the OmniSynth expansion, SampleTank is a General MIDI synth.
Posted By: Fifer Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/02/12 06:36 PM
There are enough instruments in ST Free to fill virtually all of the GM "slots", but it still doesn't function like Coyote or TTS-1 or other GM synths in the sense that you have to load the instruments manually. Some of us have been using ST in BAIB for several years (and Kontakt)- but Forte or TTS-1 have always been easier, because you just set the instrument in the BAIB window and off you go.

Brian
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/02/12 11:00 PM
Quote:

I will point out that if you get the OmniSynth expansion, SampleTank is a General MIDI synth.

Tom, can you expand on that a little? My understanding of it is yes the instruments are GM named so if you need the GM bass it's there but it still does not respond to program changes sent by Biab. That means it does not load the instruments automatically like a true GM synth does. Example, you play a song with a style that uses the GM acoustic piano you still have to put the GM acoustic piano in the channel slot inside ST. But, change to a style that uses a Rhodes patch and ST will not automatically change to a Rhodes. Am I wrong about that?

Bob
Posted By: LynB Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/03/12 11:10 AM
SampleTank uses GM Standards for the basic note descriptions and some Controllers, but does not provide a GM Bank Zero which contains 128 instrument sounds arranged in 16 generalised sections such as "Reed" with 8 instruments in each section, such as Flute, Clarinet etc. The synth does not respond to Program, Bank or LSB settings in BIAB/RealBand. Channel settings in Sample Tank are recognised.

You can set up your own collections of sounds and save them in SampleTank for future use. The settings used in specific BIAB files are saved in the file for future use.

A number of quality synths such as SampleTank, Sonik Synth, Miroslav, Kontact etc work in simular ways. I find that a GM Synth providing the Bank Zero sounds which are responsive to instrument selection from within BIAB most suitable for auditioning styles and song Demos. Plugins like Forte or an external Sound Module such as the Ketron SD2 can be installed rather than rely on the basic Micosoft option.

Once starting on the development stage, a switch to advanced Synths is recommended.

Filkertom - I haven't looked at the OmniSynth expansion for SampleTank, but thanks - it is worth examaining. VSampler bit the bullet some years ago and provided a Bank Zero using the PapelMedia Bank
Posted By: filkertom Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/03/12 12:35 PM
Here's the specs for OmniSynth 2 (a major update from OmniSynth 1, don't bother looking for it):
Quote:

For someone looking for an affordable multi-sampled instrument collection with a full General MIDI set of sounds, OmniSynth 2 delivers that and more! The follow up to Sonic Reality’s OmniSynth 1, this new version features a sound collection that is 4 times the size of the original! With over 1.3 gigabytes of sounds incuding the efficient General MIDI sound set from OmniSynth 1 this newly updated collection is un-matched in value for the money. Complete with a spectrum of beautiful pianos, guitars, basses, strings, pads, leads and more, OmniSynth 2 is a staple piece for any songwriter, composer or producer of any style of music.

Size: 1.32 GB
Number of Sounds: 246 Sample based sounds (parent)
255 Preset sounds (child)

IK Multimedia has it on the Xpansion Tank page of their site. Current price is $29.95.

Bob, LynB, I honestly haven't done enough with ST2 to tell how well it's going to work with BIAB. I know that it's pretty straightforward in both Acid Pro and Reaper -- click on one of the 16 instrument slots, double-click on the instrument in their picker, boom, ya got noise. Not as elegant as Aria, but not too much hassle. I suspect it may end up being a better fit with RealBand.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/03/12 04:32 PM
Yes, I understand all that guys I was looking for something new with the Omni Synth 2 and it looks like there isn't. Axey's question #2 is the focus of this thread.

Axey, there's two different things going on with Sampletank and Biab. The first is the regular use of ST. It's as described already, you have to pick each instrument manually inside ST plugin interface screen. You have 16 midi channels in the left pane and the instruments in the right. You can set up multiple default's inside ST to match the same midi channels and instruments being used in Biab. Therefore no, ST is not as simple as a true GM synth like the TTS-1 or the Forte Dxi. I use both of those too. The second way is exclusive to PG Music and Biab. It's the new Hi-Q instruments and it's very clever. First you do not have to have ST set as your default midi synth. You simply right click on any instrument like bass in the main Biab window and select Hi-Q instrument. That opens up a list and you pick the bass and that's it. ST is playing the bass and your default synth plays the other instruments. No need to open and go into the ST plugin window. But and this can be confusing, if you want to use the large pallet of IKM instruments then you do need to open the plugin window and set it all up.

Bob
Posted By: jford Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/03/12 06:20 PM
And once you go into ST, find and instrument you want, you can save it as a preset, so the next time you want that instrument, just open the .TGS (preset) file you saved and the instrument will be loaded.
Posted By: solidrock Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/04/12 01:34 AM
Hey All, I've been wondering if too install it or not after reading here: KONTAKT vs SampleTank
I'm using Kontakt at the moment.

Bob...
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Sampletank in Biab 2013. - 12/04/12 02:53 AM
It's not an either/or ... you can use both. No conflict, and you likely already have multiple soft synths installed... (Coyote, Forte, Kontact etc.) this is just another one.
© PG Music Forums