PG Music Home
Posted By: mal12345 Updating to BB2013 from USB Hard drive - 12/03/12 09:39 PM
I am currently running BB2012 Everything pak and have thousands songs I have compiled over the years. In the past I have updated each year from the DVD's but this year am thinking of purchasing the 2013 USB hard drive. I would keep the hard drive as a backup, including all of my BB songs on it, and still run the program from my "C" drive
I'm trying to work out the easiest way to achieve this. If I manually copy all the songs to the USB drive, then overwrite my BB folder on my PC is how I thought I may try it?? Would be very time consuming highlighting and copying each BB song individually though...

Any other thoughts or ideas of the best way to achieve this ?

thanks
Mal
Hi Mal,

If getting the USB drive, you can either run the program from the hard drive, or install the whole thing to your c:\ drive (65GB is the size of the whole thing).

If you've got your existing songs inside your c:\bb folder, it would be a good idea to make a backup of those songs, or move them out of the BB folder. The normal installation from USB drive to c:\bb folder wouldn't wipe out anything, and wouldn't wipe out your songs, but it would be safe to make a backup of them in any case.
Posted By: Mac Re: Updating to BB2013 from USB Hard drive - 12/03/12 10:57 PM
Not a problem at all.

Simply use the Installer file that comes on the USB drive and install right overtop of your existing bb folder.

It will not overwrite any of your stored songs at all.

I've done it this way for more than ten years now, never lost a single songfile.

Even your current Settings should stay the same as you had them set in the older version, for the most part, transferring to the new one.

(And have no fear, if ever necessary, there is a handy backup feature in the bb folder that does indeed allow for reverting to a previous version. In all these years I've never had to use it, at least not because of the new version not working correctly or anything like that. Occasionally I've used it to check out a forum user's report about a preceding version or the likes, but most users won't even ever have to deal with that either.)

--Mac
Posted By: Mac Re: Updating to BB2013 from USB Hard drive - 12/03/12 10:59 PM
Peter's advice about backing up your songfiles should be heeded.

I back them up periodically to another drive as a matter of routine, just in case something should ever happen to the hard drive they live on, don't want to have to start all that work over from scratch.

--Mac
Posted By: mal12345 Re: Updating to BB2013 from USB Hard drive - 12/04/12 08:17 PM
Thanks Mac and Peter...I have just ordered the USB 2013 Everything Pak :-)
I'll install to my C:\ drive , then copy all my songs/favorites, back to the USB drive as a backup
© PG Music Forums