PG Music Home
Posted By: pwarren VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/23/13 06:09 PM
Here's a link to the 0.9 beta version of my VSTi to midi redirector . Those of you who want to try sending midi to a hardware device from BiaB while using software synths via the use DXi check box may wish to download this. Make sure you read the included text file for installation and limitations (most important it's 32bit only).

You can post results here or contact me directly by pm or e-mail.

I think you may really like this. I was personally blown away by how good the Ketron piano sounded mixed with a bunch of RTs and software generated midi voices. The ability to add HW voices really adds to BiaBs potential.

Hope you find it useful and enjoy.

Paul
Posted By: DrDan Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/23/13 08:53 PM
Quote:

Those of you who want to try sending midi to a hardware device from BiaB while using software synths via the use DXi check box may wish to download this.

Well I do believe this is exactly what we tried so hard to do about a year and a half ago when we were trying to send a midi track to drive a vocal harmonizer (VLT). Concluded at that time there was no easy way to do this.

Is this intended to work with "OutputCh" from the BIAB Perferences Menu? or must we route one of the BIAB instrument tracks? Either way, cool idea, hope to give it a try soon. I have been very ill for the past weeks but hopefully finally on the mend.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/23/13 09:08 PM
Quote:

Well I do believe this is exactly what we tried so hard to do about a year and a half ago when we were trying to send a midi track to drive a vocal harmonizer (VLT). Concluded at that time there was no easy way to do this.

That's part of the motivation to do this. That and to use my SD2 at the same time as soft synths.

Quote:

Is this intended to work with "OutputCh" from the BIAB Perferences Menu? or must we route one of the BIAB instrument tracks?

It's made to work with one of the BIAB instrument tracks. It works well sending midi to my SD2. But so far I can't get my vocal processor to receive the midi.

The channel routing for sending to a vocal processor or harmonizer may be somewhat convoluted. My Voiceworks Plus listens on channel 9 but when I send midi data via the VSTi it isn't usually on channel 9. I tried a force midi channel to 9 but that didn't have the desired result. I'm going to look into it some more as I get the time. Maybe I'll need to add a channel filter to the VSTi. We'll see.

If you give it a try remember you won't hear the channel you redirect unless you have a hardware synth chained to the harmonizer. If you don't you'll need to duplicate the track you are redirecting.

Paul
Posted By: popboy Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/24/13 08:42 AM

Thank You very much for the nice and useful plugin
Midi ReDirect. Works pretty well!

Greetings,
popboy
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/24/13 04:06 PM
Quote:

Thank You very much for the nice and useful plugin
Midi ReDirect. Works pretty well!

Greetings,
popboy

Thanks. Glad to hear it works well for you. It's always good to hear when it works on other systems as well as the one's I tested it on. I'll update the interface for a release version.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 12:00 AM
While I still consider it a beta version I have changed the UI. The color is nicer IMO. Feel free to re-download this VSTi if you want the nicer look.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 04:08 AM
Hi Paul,

I just Downloaded and installed the most recent version. Here are my results:

1) I have a midisport 2X2. No matter which port I picked, MIDI went to both of them. (the MIDI activity lights blinked on the devices hooked to both ports)

2)after swapping cables, the hardware synth played fine no matter which port's cable was plugged into it.

3) even though the voiceworks was clearly getting MIDI, whatever it was getting wasn't enough to change the chords in a chordal harmony patch. It also would not change the patch if I sent a patch change CC to it.

4) however the patch change CCs WOULD change patches on the hardware synth

5) I tried all the different MIDI settings in the voiceworks, but nothing changed in my results

but I gotta say, it is very cool to have use of my rack synth while soft synths are also playing. That's a MAJOR accomplishment! Way to go!
Posted By: silvertones Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 01:59 PM
I'm going to chime in here . I hope I have this right. Paul's tool is sort of like a wrapper for a HW synth. If you insert it as the chosen VSTi say for the BASS track, and assume Bass is on channel 2 still, it's only going to pass channel 2 info out to the midi port. Now being that you CAN use a soft synth in the default slot and on individual tracks try rethinking the application. Use Paul's tool as the DEFAULT synth. This will now pass all of the info out the the midi port.Set your HW synths/harmony units to the appropriate channel. Now if you want a soft synth on say the bass insert it as a track specific VSTi.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 04:22 PM
Quote:

I'm going to chime in here . I hope I have this right. Paul's tool is sort of like a wrapper for a HW synth. If you insert it as the chosen VSTi say for the BASS track, and assume Bass is on channel 2 still, it's only going to pass channel 2 info out to the midi port.

That's correct. My midi redirector will pass any midi data it receives from BiaB (the host). If it's inserted in the bass slot it will only pass channel 2 data (assuming that's what BiaB passes to it, and I've no reason to doubt that).

Quote:

Now being that you CAN use a soft synth in the default slot and on individual tracks try rethinking the application. Use Paul's tool as the DEFAULT synth. This will now pass all of the info out the the midi port.Set your HW synths/harmony units to the appropriate channel. Now if you want a soft synth on say the bass insert it as a track specific VSTi.

That's an interesting idea. One I certainly didn't think of.

In theory that should work. I wish we had a map of BiaBs internel midi (and audio) routing. Then we'd know for sure what data will be passed. I also wish I knew more about the function of Sysex data. That might be the key to getting VW to function. I will be looking into this more as I find time.

Getting back to your suggestion, I'll give it a try ASAP.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 04:37 PM
Quote:

I just Downloaded and installed the most recent version. Here are my results:

1) I have a midisport 2X2. No matter which port I picked, MIDI went to both of them. (the MIDI activity lights blinked on the devices hooked to both ports)

2)after swapping cables, the hardware synth played fine no matter which port's cable was plugged into it.

To make sure I have this correct you see both ports in the combo box and they have different names right?

If it distinguishes at the enumeration level I'd have thought it should distinguish at the send level. If it doesn't I'll have to assume something else, like Sysex data for example, sets the port at that level. If so it'll be hard for me to code since I don't have a hardware device with multiple midi ports. I'd nned to work with you directly on that. Would you be willing?

Anyway, I'm glad you find the ability to use hard and soft synths together a useful fuction.

Quote:

3) even though the voiceworks was clearly getting MIDI, whatever it was getting wasn't enough to change the chords in a chordal harmony patch. It also would not change the patch if I sent a patch change CC to it.

4) however the patch change CCs WOULD change patches on the hardware synth

5) I tried all the different MIDI settings in the voiceworks, but nothing changed in my results

Well you've got better results from Voiceworks than I have so far. I haven't been able to get it to receive midi at all. I was going to try some other things this weekend.

As to the patch change cc's, I get the same results. My SD2 changes patches as expected. I wonder if it 'eats' the patch change data. Is your hardware synth ahead of the VWs in the chain? Mine is and I was going to remove it and try the VWs alone. That wil tell me a lot about what's going on.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 05:31 PM
As far as I can tell the VWs harmonizer should not require any SysEx data to work. That's used only for setting the unit up and reading the presets etc. That can, and probably should, be done first with either the front panel or the software editor.

If anyone has a different understanding of this please let me know. Thanks.
Posted By: silvertones Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 06:24 PM
Two types of midi data:
1.Sysex= System exclusive.Although it's cool to be able to control the exclusive parameters of a HW device it's not at all necessary.
2. System Common data+ that data that is common to ALL midi devices:
A. note on/off
B. program change
C. etc.
If you insert a VSTi into a slot of BIAB, Biab is sending all the normal system common data for that channel.Just look in the midi monitor.So Paul if you've coded your VSTi correctly it will pass all the system common data.If you insert it into the DEFAULT slot it'll pass all system common data from all channels.BTW BIAB does not send any System Exclusive stuff.RB can be set to though as long as you program it in.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 07:43 PM
Quote:

Two types of midi data:
1.Sysex= System exclusive.Although it's cool to be able to control the exclusive parameters of a HW device it's not at all necessary.
2. System Common data+ that data that is common to ALL midi devices:
A. note on/off
B. program change
C. etc.
If you insert a VSTi into a slot of BIAB, Biab is sending all the normal system common data for that channel.Just look in the midi monitor.So Paul if you've coded your VSTi correctly it will pass all the system common data.If you insert it into the DEFAULT slot it'll pass all system common data from all channels.BTW BIAB does not send any System Exclusive stuff.RB can be set to though as long as you program it in.

Thanks. That's basically what I thought. Nice to have confirmation.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 07:49 PM
Ok everyone. I found and fixed my first dumbass mistake.

During development I set the max number of ports to two, the number on my development PC. And of course I forgot to re-code it to set max to the number on the system it's being used on. So you could only access the first two ports even though they were all displayed.

I've fixed that so please download the new version. Sorry for that.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/25/13 07:54 PM
With regard to sending data to VW, Using 'Force MIDI Channel' to 9 (or whatever channel your VW is using) doesn't work. You must change the channel that the VSTi is on to 9 in Prefs|Channels. For example, if you want to send the melody set it to channel 9 and insert the Redirector.

I still don't know yet if VW will respond but this is the absolute least you must do. I'll pass on more info as I get it.

paul
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 01:11 AM
Quote:

Is your hardware synth ahead of the VWs in the chain? Mine is and I was going to remove it and try the VWs alone. That wil tell me a lot about what's going on.

separate chains.. that's why I bought a 2x2

but... I *WAS* using the "force channel to..." the channel of my device toward the end. I'll test some more with the new version, being careful to use the other method of specifying receiving channel

You're gonna get this to work, Paul! even at this early stage of development you've achieved phenomenal success! It took Edison over 600 tries before he found a process for making light bulbs that worked.

You're only on iteration 10, and with huge payoff already!
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 02:54 AM
I've figured out why the VWorks isn't receiving data. I'm losing the channels somehow. Everything is on channel 1. So this version will only work for a single channel at a time. You can't put it on the default slot yet unless you want some very surprising effects and you can't use multiple instances.

However, if you want to try using VWorks set the unit to receive on channel 1 and you can send data. hopefully I can get the channel data included soon. Maybe Monday with luck.

Thanks all for bearing with me through the development cycles.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 02:57 AM
Hi Pat. See my above post for why this isn't working quite right yet. I'll have it worked out soon. Just some minor teething troubles. It'll be worth it in the long run. Thanks for your help and support.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 01:46 PM
Paul, here are my results from your most recent
release:

1) the MIDI no longer goes to both ports. Now it goes to A port only. Port B shows up in the dropdown menu, but if I select it, then exit and return, the port is reset to A

2) if I change the VW receive channel to 1, it now accepts patch changes, but it still doesn't change chords based on the notes that appear to be getting through (MIDI light still shows activity every time a chord is played)
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 08:04 PM
The good news is I found why the channel data was being lost. I had left a bit mask on the midi msg resulting in only the status info being transfered. Removing the bit mask allowed all data to be transfered.

With that fix I was able to get my VWorks Plus to operate under midi control.

The bad news is I can't upload the dll until later. It'll be Monday at the latest. Stay tuned.

Oh, and Pat, can you wait until the new version is uploaded to address the port issue? We'll see if the change I made has an affect on that problem.

Paul
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 08:17 PM
Just wanted to write to say I'm following this thread with interest. Paul, thanks for what you are making!
Posted By: DrDan Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 08:25 PM
ditto
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 08:55 PM
ditto their dittos!!

Also you have NO NEED to apologize with things like… "I found and fixed my first dumbass mistake." Until folks start sending you money for you time, talent and hard work and even then they don’t need to KNOW it was a mistake (call it a feature you decided to remove )

Larry
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 11:47 PM
Quote:

Until folks start sending you money for you time, talent and hard work and even then they don’t need to KNOW it was a mistake (call it a feature you decided to remove )

Larry

yeah, Paul.. I hope you plan to charge for this, because it's worth paying for!
Let me know the price and I'll send you a check as soon as you get it to the point where you feel satisfied with it.

Maybe Notes Norton would market it for you since he already has a system set up for online shopping. And your target audience is the same as his.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 11:54 PM
Quote:

Let me know the price and I'll send you a check as soon as you get it to the point where you feel satisfied with it.

Thanks Pat but I never charge for software I release. I do it because I enjoy it and to charge would make me feel like it's a job. So it's going to be unrestricted freeware as always.

Besides, the people on this forum have been helpful and this is an opportunity for me to give back.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/26/13 11:57 PM
Quote:

Just wanted to write to say I'm following this thread with interest. Paul, thanks for what you are making!

You're welcome Matt. I always wanted to use my SD2 and VWorks with BiaB and this little program has accomplished that. Now I just hope others will get the same fun out of it.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/27/13 03:06 AM
Paul, I've had Roland hardware synths for so many years that I really fell behind on software synths. I still love my Roland Fantom XR but would love to be able to access a software bass, for example, along with it. That's why I'm not a good beta tester for you but may well become a devoted user of your utility.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/27/13 03:26 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Pat but I never charge for software I release. I do it because I enjoy it and to charge would make me feel like it's a job. So it's going to be unrestricted freeware as always.

Besides, the people on this forum have been helpful and this is an opportunity for me to give back.

Paul,
my hat is off to you! Making a utility that's this useful freely available is a very gracious and unselfish thing to do! I'm sure a lot of us will derive great benefit from your gesture of good will... people all over the world no doubt, given the scope of PGMusic's customer base
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/27/13 02:57 PM
Paul, this is great news. If I understand correctly what you are creating, I would be able to use soft synths as well as hard synths and vocal processors from within BIAB...is this right?

I typically don't use BIAB but instead use RB for just this very reason...I want to work with both hard and soft synths. Your work here will open up a whole new world to those of us that want to use all of our toys in BIAB!
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/27/13 05:25 PM
Quote:

Paul, this is great news. If I understand correctly what you are creating, I would be able to use soft synths as well as hard synths and vocal processors from within BIAB...is this right?

Yes, that's correct. You wil be able to send a single midi track to a hardware synth, harmoniser, vocal processor or any other hardware midi device. Depending on your setup you may or may not also hear the output (there must be a synth in the chain somewhere to hear it).

Quote:

I typically don't use BIAB but instead use RB for just this very reason...I want to work with both hard and soft synths. Your work here will open up a whole new world to those of us that want to use all of our toys in BIAB!

That's the exact motivation that got me looking into this. I have a Ketron SD2 which has some really nice voices which I can never use in BiaB since I prefer soft synths for guitars. Now I can use both.

I do realize RB can do this but it isn't the same for just jamming along with. BiaB is so much friendlier for accompaniment.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/27/13 08:43 PM
Wow...this is fantastic! Just what myself and I'm sure many others need to bring us back to BIAB. I've pretty much walked away from it and use RB exclusively but really miss the BIAB song creation and accompaniment functions.

I'll keep checking in to follow your successes. If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know.

Jeff
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 12:15 AM
Here is the final (I hope) beta version 0.92b. If there are no more big issues I'll rename it as version 1.0 and move on to another project. I have another idea I think you will all like if I can make it work.

Meanwhile here's the low down on the redirector.

You can only access an unused midi port so you can't have multiple instances on different tracks unless they are accessing different ports. Should you want to send more than one track to your hardware synth you can put the redirector on the default slot and put software synths on the slots you DON'T want to send to your hardware synth. I tested this and it does work.

To get your VoiceWorks or VW Plus working decide which track you are going to use and put the redirector on that slot. Set midi force channel = 9 (or whatever your unit uses). Set your unit to use midi notes for harmony or correction. It should work. I got mine functioning.

Now in chord mode I think it should work as above but to get true chord output I think you'd need a midi style that does chords only. Since the midi is being redirected you won't hear any output if VWs is the only device on the hardware port. If you daisy chain a hardware synth as well you will hear the midi as well as power the VWs.

So enjoy and keep me informed how things work for you.

Paul
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 03:49 AM
Paul,

I'm disappointed to report that now it doesn't work here at all, not even the hardware synth

and sometimes when I pick a port from your drop down menu, it says the port is not active (green light doesn't come on)
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 03:59 AM
Quote:

Paul,

I'm disappointed to report that now it doesn't work here at all, not even the hardware synth

and sometimes when I pick a port from your drop down menu, it says the port is not active (green light doesn't come on)

That's really strange. It's working completely fine for me. Can you check the file date on the dll? It should be 1/27/2013. If not then there is some issue with the zip file. I check into it tomorrow.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 04:17 AM
actually more experimentation got it to work with the hardware synth, but on a completely different port. I have 3 ports, midisport 2x2 (ports A and B) A=roland synth, B=voiceworks

I also have an M-Audio Ozone keyboard with a MIDI out port. Tonight IT works, but ports A and B don't

But even when hard wiring that port to the voiceworks, still no luck

what other settings could be different?

1) In MIDI options, under "USE VSTi/DXi synth" do you have the "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" checked?

2) is your audio driver ASIO or something else?
Posted By: popboy Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 08:05 AM
Hi pwarren and "million" thanks for the fantastic plugin!
It works exactly as you told.

You can only access an unused midi port so you can't have multiple instances on different tracks unless they are accessing different ports. Should you want to send more than one track to your hardware synth you can put the redirector on the default slot and put software synths on the slots you DON'T want to send to your hardware synth. I tested this and it does work.

To get your VoiceWorks or VW Plus working decide which track you are going to use and put the redirector on that slot. Set midi force channel = 9 (or whatever your unit uses). Set your unit to use midi notes for harmony or correction. It should work. I got mine functioning.

Greetings,
popboy
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 04:35 PM
Quote:

what other settings could be different?

1) In MIDI options, under "USE VSTi/DXi synth" do you have the "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" checked?

2) is your audio driver ASIO or something else?

I'll start here. I have "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" checked and I use the ASIO driver from Focusrite. The "route MIDI thru to MIDI driver" shouldn't have any effect because of the ASIO driver. And ASIO vs MME shouldn't affect the routing of midi.

Quote:

actually more experimentation got it to work with the hardware synth, but on a completely different port. I have 3 ports, midisport 2x2 (ports A and B) A=roland synth, B=voiceworks

I also have an M-Audio Ozone keyboard with a MIDI out port. Tonight IT works, but ports A and B don't.

That's something at least. I think that's saying something is different about how your midi ports are installed and used.

The first thing you should check is whether BiaB is using any of the ports. Under "Opt|Midi/Audio Driver Setup" make sure "<No mid/sound output" is selected in the "Midi Output Driver" list. Or alternatively the "Microsoft GS Wavetable". This way we can be sure BiaB doesn't hold your hardware ports open. Also check that any other programs aren't accessing these ports either. I would suggest making sure your controller is off for the time being too.

Now I would try opening a song with midi on the melody track and insert the midi redirector on the melody channel with 'force midi to channel 9" (or whatever port your VWs supports). Make sure you select the correct midi port even if it is highlighted in the VSTi. It's the process of selection that opens the port for use. If the green status light doesn't come on it's telling you there's some reason it can't open the port (usually in use by some other program including other instances of the VSTi redirector.

I would also suggest you download and install MidiOx and MidiYoke. You can then use MidiOx to monitor the oputput from BiaB. Int that case you'd send your midi to a MidiYoke port and connect MidiOx to route the chosen MidiYoke port to your desired hardware port. Then you can see the BiaB output and capture a file of data that I could look at for analysis.

I hope this helps for now.

Paul
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 04:51 PM
Quote:

Hi pwarren and "million" thanks for the fantastic plugin!
It works exactly as you told.

I'm glad it works for you and you like it. It looks like there'll be at least one more development cycle to help Pat get it working so, if you can, please check this thread and try any new beta versions so I can know it works for other people as well. Thanks.

Paul
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 07:12 PM
A real issue with this VSTi is the fact that midi ports are volatile. They may not always be installed on your system. For example a USB midi port may be powered down. In addition, midi ports might not always load in the same order. Example; a USB port is powered up after bootup.

Because of this if you save a song with the midi redirector on a track it might not point to the same port you hooked it up to. In fact it may not point to a valid port at all.

Now there's no way, under the VST specs, to save the ports ProductName. Only long integer sized numbers can be stored.

So you'll need to treat this VSTi differently than you might others. If you save a song with the redirector on a track you'll need to check that it's connected to a valid port. A pain in the rump I know but unfortunately unavoidable as far as I can see.

Now if your system has limited numbers of ports, like mine, and they are always connected prior to bootup then this probably won't be an issue for you. I hope this doesn't make the VSTi useless to you. It is still pretty cool for my purposes.
Posted By: Mac Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 10:46 PM
Something else about some USB MIDI devices that I've noticed, with some programs, I have to attach the USB device to the port and let the OS recognize the device before opening or starting that program.

Some programs will even look like they "see" the USB device in their connection listing, but choosing it won't work if the device has not been recognized by the system first.

This can be confusing, for there are some programs out there that will recognize said device "on the fly" - allowing us to plug it in while the program is still running, yet the program must have a routine to be able to use the device that way.

Band in a Box is one of those programs where the USB device, whether MIDI or Audio or both, must be plugged in and recognized by your OS before starting up BB.

--Mac
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/28/13 11:18 PM
Quote:

Something else about some USB MIDI devices that I've noticed, with some programs, I have to attach the USB device to the port and let the OS recognize the device before opening or starting that program.

Some programs will even look like they "see" the USB device in their connection listing, but choosing it won't work if the device has not been recognized by the system first.

This can be confusing, for there are some programs out there that will recognize said device "on the fly" - allowing us to plug it in while the program is still running, yet the program must have a routine to be able to use the device that way.

Band in a Box is one of those programs where the USB device, whether MIDI or Audio or both, must be plugged in and recognized by your OS before starting up BB.

--Mac

A very good point Mac. There's a chance that this behaviour is causing some of the problems Pat is reporting with regard to ports that work intermittantly.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 01/30/13 11:45 PM
Does anyone else have any comments, questions or performance reports? If not I'm going to package this VSTi as a non-beta version and put it on the BiaB wiki for download.

Everything is working well for me. I can play my SD2 and use my VoiceWorks Plus which is a great additional feature.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 12:43 AM
Paul, took a look at BAIB Wiki via your link but don't see the VSTi tool yet. Have you posted the final? Where will you post it? In the Downloads section? Would it be possible to include a setup dialog to help us first timers get it up and running properly?

Do have a question: If I have multiple external midi modules and a midi patch bay with multiple ports, could I use your VSTi and access internal VSTi's, external modules and my vocal processor all at the same time....similiar to what I do in RB?

Many thanks, looking forward to opening a new chapter of BIAB use with your utility,
Jeff
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 03:18 AM
Quote:

Paul, took a look at BAIB Wiki via your link but don't see the VSTi tool yet. Have you posted the final? Where will you post it? In the Downloads section?

\

I'm hoping to post the release version tomorrow. I do intend to put it in the downloads section of the wiki.

Quote:

Would it be possible to include a setup dialog to help us first timers get it up and running properly?

I won't be adding a setup utility. It's too easy to install to need it. There will be written instructions, however, for both setup and use.

Quote:

Do have a question: If I have multiple external midi modules and a midi patch bay with multiple ports, could I use your VSTi and access internal VSTi's, external modules and my vocal processor all at the same time....similiar to what I do in RB?

To a limited extent, yes. You can only access one port with one instance of the VSTi. If you have two external ports, and assuming they aren't both addressed together, you can have two instances of the VSTi accessing each port on two different tracks.

You can't use an internal VSTi on the same track as the redirector but you can have internal VSTi's on other tracks. However, I don't expect this utility to make BiaB do the same things as RB. It's really just intended to extent BiaB slightly for those of us with external gear who want to use soft synths primarily but want to add the odd track of external synths.

Quote:

Many thanks, looking forward to opening a new chapter of BIAB use with your utility,
Jeff

Your welcome Jeff. I hope you like it.

Paul
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 01:52 PM
Thanks Paul, appreciate your response and very much looking forward to using this great tool!

It goes without saying that your ability to program this has helped a great many of us to realize more of the potential of BIAB and our systems. It's funny that without the ability to use soft and hard synths at the same time in BIAB, I've been using RB to do this. So in effect, I've been using the "free" program to do what the program I bought couldn't do. This has caused quite a dilemma for me; realizing all of what a great program like BIAB can do but not be able to use the way I want on the system that I have. You have solved the great quandary! I am very grateful for your work and anxious to give it a go!

Jeff
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 04:09 PM
Quote:

It goes without saying that your ability to program this has helped a great many of us to realize more of the potential of BIAB and our systems. It's funny that without the ability to use soft and hard synths at the same time in BIAB, I've been using RB to do this. So in effect, I've been using the "free" program to do what the program I bought couldn't do. This has caused quite a dilemma for me; realizing all of what a great program like BIAB can do but not be able to use the way I want on the system that I have. You have solved the great quandary! I am very grateful for your work and anxious to give it a go!

To me BiaB did so much already that the inability to use my SD2 and VoiceWorks wasn't a deal breaker. Soft synths with FX sounded so much better than plain midi that I could live without the SD2. But I always did think it a shame to have a $400 item sit unused, especially knowing how good some of the keyboard voices sounded. Hence the redirector idea.

I should point out though it does have some limitations as I've mentioned before. And, unfortunately I don't know how it'll work with your multiple midi ports. I hope it'll do what you expect but it won't make BiaB as versatile as RB in the area of mixing sound modules.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 05:27 PM
The release version is ready for download here on the BiaB wiki. There are detailed instructions for installation and use on the indicated page. Enjoy.

paul
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 06:17 PM
Paul, once again, many thanks for this great effort.

Before I run into a possible brick wall trying this out, could you tell me what are the ramifications of this statement in the Wiki: "This VSTi is strictly 32 bit."

Explanation: I have Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Of course it runs 32-bit software including BIAB. When I use a 64-bit software (like SONAR as I installed it), that's when I run into problems with some plugins that are 32-bit (requiring things like J-bridge or bit-bridge and the like). Has anyone tested VSTi to MIDI on a 64-bit Windows, using an external MIDI synth that runs on 64-bit drivers (like my Roland Fantom XR)?

Thanks!

matt
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 08:41 PM
Quote:

Before I run into a possible brick wall trying this out, could you tell me what are the ramifications of this statement in the Wiki: "This VSTi is strictly 32 bit."

It will not run in a native 64bit environment. However, as far as I know neither will BiaB. So I would expect it to run in BiaB but would not expect it to run in a 64bit DAW. It won't do any harm to your system so why not give it a try and let me know how it works.

Quote:

Has anyone tested VSTi to MIDI on a 64-bit Windows, using an external MIDI synth that runs on 64-bit drivers (like my Roland Fantom XR)?

I haven't, that's for sure. I don't own a 64bit system. However, as the worst that could happen is it would lock up the system and require a reboot I'd say give it a try. I'm assuming you mean within 32bit BiaB of course. I can guarantee it won't run under a 64bit DAW.

As for those 64bit midi drivers, I'd guess that won't be a problem if BiaB accesses them. The data passed to the midi port is independent of the driver.

Paul
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 09:00 PM
Yes, that last statement makes good sense in this case. OK, I'll find some time to try it out. Thanks.
Posted By: MarioD Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 09:30 PM
Quote:

I haven't, that's for sure. I don't own a 64bit system. However, as the worst that could happen is it would lock up the system and require a reboot I'd say give it a try. I'm assuming you mean within 32bit BiaB of course. I can guarantee it won't run under a 64bit DAW.

As for those 64bit midi drivers, I'd guess that won't be a problem if BiaB accesses them. The data passed to the midi port is independent of the driver.

Paul

Hi Paul,

FYI – BiaB runs just fine on my 64 bit win 7 Pro. It is still a 32 bit program though. Consequently BiaB will not address any 64 bit VSTis. It does however address 32 bit VSTis with no problem, that is as far as I know.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 09:45 PM
Mario, what was your choice for the location of the DLL? It's different on a 64-bit OS than the instructions say.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 10:18 PM
Paul, this is amazing! I'm playing a tune in BIAB. I'm using a RealDrum track, using a Roland TTS-1 for guitar, a Roland Fantom XR with your MidiReDirector for the piano track, a trumpet melody using another MidiReDirector to a Yamaha Motif XS Rack and I have a solo set up on another VSTi using a MusicLab RealGuitar. It works great!!

This is an excellent piece of work Paul. I don't know how you did it but you've opened up a whole new world for BIAB users....quite an accomplishment!

Matt, you won't have any problems with your Fantom and the ReDirect in BIAB. I'm running Win 7x64 too.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 10:50 PM
Where did you put the DLL?
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 10:54 PM
Quote:

Mario, what was your choice for the location of the DLL? It's different on a 64-bit OS than the instructions say.

Matt

Anywhere you want to put the .dll - if you are a stickler for MS protocol (I'm not) then I guess C:\Program files (x86)\VST or C:\…\VST Plugins

I'm runngin BIAB now on Win 7 64 and I've put mine on my D:\MUSIC\Cakewalk\VStPlugins (which is where 90% of my 32 bit VSTs/VSTi go) and I just make everything look there. Long story - but it's because MY first use of VST's and VSTi's were using Cakewalk DAW. And when additional and newer stuff come along I didn't want to be chasing this stuff over multiple drives and directories (I end have having to anyway since some things have a mind of their own no matter what you tell installer)

I really need to install my version of SONAR 64 bit one of these days ( I haven't yet because I actually have NO 64 bit plug ins expect a few things that came with Sonar and other apps)

larry
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 10:55 PM
After I downloaded it from Paul's site, I extracted it to my Program Files(86) VSTi folder where I keep my 32 bit .dll's.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 10:57 PM
PG Music (Peter)

You NEED to work a deal with Paul to INCLUDE this with NEXT release of BIAB with a built-in install and instructions and ….

Also give Paul his next update for FREE!!
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 11:31 PM
Quote:

Paul, this is amazing! I'm playing a tune in BIAB. I'm using a RealDrum track, using a Roland TTS-1 for guitar, a Roland Fantom XR with your MidiReDirector for the piano track, a trumpet melody using another MidiReDirector to a Yamaha Motif XS Rack and I have a solo set up on another VSTi using a MusicLab RealGuitar. It works great!!

This is an excellent piece of work Paul. I don't know how you did it but you've opened up a whole new world for BIAB users....quite an accomplishment!

Matt, you won't have any problems with your Fantom and the ReDirect in BIAB. I'm running Win 7x64 too.

Wow! I wouldn't have predicted it would run multiple midi outs. Mainly because I have no idea how those might be addressed within windows. Of course I'm happy it does work.

One caveat though. Midi ports are volatile so they may not always load in the same order. Especially if they get unplugged (in the cse of USB ports) and er-plugged. In that case the tracks you have loaded the Redirectors on might connect to a different port when you reopen a song. Keep an eye out for this.

There's unfortunately no way to save the port NAME which would eliminate that possible problem.
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 11:35 PM
Quote:

PG Music (Peter)

You NEED to work a deal with Paul to INCLUDE this with NEXT release of BIAB with a built-in install and instructions and ….

Also give Paul his next update for FREE!!

hahaha

No deal necessary. I'd happily make it available free if they felt like including it. The only thing that makes me worry is knowing that midi ports aren't always in the same order, or even there at all for that matter, and I suspect that could cause users some frustration.

Of course if some of the midi gurus at PGM wanted to help further develop it I'd be up for that too.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/01/13 11:49 PM
You're right about the midi ports Paul.

I tried to save the song I referenced above, then opened another song without any ReDirect in it. Then went back to the referenced song and opened it. None of the redirect parts (piano and trumpet from the ReDirect) AND none of the VSTi assignments were making a sound.

When I hit the "SYNTH" VSTi button in BIAB all of the assignments for the ReDirector, as well as the VSTi's, are all there but there is no sound on those tracks. If I click on each one, momentarily change it to another port and then go back to the original port; all is well and they all sound as they did originally.

Was not expecting this as I pretty much have my system hardwired in that I never make any changes to USB's, cables, audio or midi interfaces or synth setups.

Do you think that this is the problem you mentioned with port volitility or do I have some other issue going on?
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/02/13 01:39 AM
Quote:

You're right about the midi ports Paul.

I tried to save the song I referenced above, then opened another song without any ReDirect in it. Then went back to the referenced song and opened it. None of the redirect parts (piano and trumpet from the ReDirect) AND none of the VSTi assignments were making a sound.

When I hit the "SYNTH" VSTi button in BIAB all of the assignments for the ReDirector, as well as the VSTi's, are all there but there is no sound on those tracks. If I click on each one, momentarily change it to another port and then go back to the original port; all is well and they all sound as they did originally.

Was not expecting this as I pretty much have my system hardwired in that I never make any changes to USB's, cables, audio or midi interfaces or synth setups.

Do you think that this is the problem you mentioned with port volitility or do I have some other issue going on?

I think I know what might be causing this. You can't set the number of ports until the VSTi has loaded but unfortunately by that time it has trued to set the port(s). So the port number can be higher than the apparent number of ports. I think I have a workaround for this. I set the max number of ports to ten during creation of the VSTi then set to max ports later. That way it should work. hopefully.

Anyway, download this version and give it a try. If it works I'll update the zip file.

MidiRedirect.dll
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/02/13 03:23 PM
OK, sounds good Paul. Give me a few hours on the new .dll as I want to play with the original a bit here this morning to see if I can duplicate the issues I was having last night. Actually, just need a few more cups of 'joe so I can think through this and not mess it up!!
Posted By: rharv Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/02/13 04:20 PM
Very cool initiative pwarren
I appreciate your efforts.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/02/13 05:39 PM
OK, Paul here is what I'm finding out:

1. Using the original .dll and trying to duplicate the situation from last night:
a. I can still run multiple instances of the ReDirect and send data out to multiple different hardware synths as well as using internal VSTi's. In this case, I am using the Roland TTS-1 selected from the "Default Synth/Plugins" pulldown and in the Midi/Audio driver setup window, I have the "Use VST/DXi Synth" checked as well as having the "Route Midi Thru to Midi Driver" checked. With the ReDirect, I am sending the piano track to the Yamaha Motif Rack XS and sending the Bass track to the Roland Fantom XR. No problems with this setup...all play and sound normal.
b. Whether I save as "Save As" or "Save +", when I reopen the song all of the ReDirects produce no sound. To get sound, all I have to do is to open the "VSTi/Synth" button, go to the track that has the ReDirect and double click on the ports associated with each redirect. Note that I have to open the ReDirect ports to click on the port, I cannot click on the port that is showing in the window "Select a Midi Port"...I have to actually open the window and reselct the same port that the window shows.

2. Using the new .dll referenced in your Friday Feb 1st posting above:
a. Wow...you did it Paul! The new .dll is able to save the midi ports whether I use "Save As" or "Save +". If I go to a completely different song, play it or regenerate it, and then go back to the song with the multiple hardsyhths and VSTi; the midi ports are correctly called up and dead on...sound perfect!

Great job Paul...don't know how you do it but you've got it....redirects to multiple hardware synths, multiple VSTi's...all at the same time....and saves it all...it's a winner!

Many, many thanks for all of your hard work and efforts.

I sure hope Dr Gannon and crew are following this post!
Jeff
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/02/13 11:08 PM
Quote:

2. Using the new .dll referenced in your Friday Feb 1st posting above:
a. Wow...you did it Paul! The new .dll is able to save the midi ports whether I use "Save As" or "Save +". If I go to a completely different song, play it or regenerate it, and then go back to the song with the multiple hardsyhths and VSTi; the midi ports are correctly called up and dead on...sound perfect!

Great job Paul...don't know how you do it but you've got it....redirects to multiple hardware synths, multiple VSTi's...all at the same time....and saves it all...it's a winner!

\

Well that's great news Jeff. I'll have to package the dll ASAP. Monday most likely. Meanwhile anyone that wants can download the upakaged dll from the link above. Anyway, thanks for your help testing it.

Paul
Posted By: pwarren Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/03/13 08:19 PM
Just to inform you all, the wiki is updated to version 1.01 which should have all the fixes. Just be sure to check the zip file is VSTiToMidi v101.zip and that the included text file has the appropriate Last Modified statement. My ISPs server caches files and sometimes it's possible to get an old version, although it's unlikely in this case.

Paul
Posted By: jt3 Re: VSTi to Midi v0.9b is here - 02/22/13 05:17 PM
Hi there Mac sent me your way. wanting to send a midi signal from biab to a pc light controller. Looks like this might work. I'm trying this on my old pc first with vista I beleive is 32 bit. this one is still running biab 2012 which if I understand right will stillo work not 2013 ver. Will this midi track still be heard if I export out of biab? I was thinking of using the bass track. also could I run say the strings track also to another lighting channel for some really cool efect?
thanks for your time
John
© PG Music Forums