PG Music Home
I've only had my Yamaha DGX640 for a few weeks and am finally getting around to optimally configuring BIAB with it.

In the MIDI/Audio Driver Set-Up window, there's a dropdown list for Synthesizer/Soundcard. Do I need to make a specific selection here? If so, which one? (DGX640 isn't listed). What about some of the other settings like "Patch/Drum Kit" and "GM2 Support"?

Thanks!
To access the better sounds of your Yamaha keyboard, you will need to select it as the MIDI Output device and also select a Patch file (.PAT). There is a built-in .PAT file for the Yamaha DGX 203/205 that is installed with BIAB. Chances are that this file is similar to what you need, and probably has a subset of the sounds on your keyboard. You would have to look at the manual for both devices and compare the list of available sounds to know for sure.

To select a .Pat file in BIAB, click on the little plus sign icon just to the left of the Volume setting. Make sure you are in the /BB folder and you should be able to select the Yamaha DGX 203 .Pat file when you are asked to load one. Then, you will be able to click on a radio button for each instrument, and then click on the plus sign icon, and select a patch (sound) for that instrument.

You can select the GM2 sounds, but be sure NOT to check the DXi box.

It's also possible you would want to go to the GM menu on the main screen, Send MIDI message, Send XG On setting if you find that the instruments are changing but seem to be playing the wrong instrument.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Give it a try and report back with your questions.

Also, if the patch file for that other model Yamaha is not right, Google for a Cakewalk .INS file for your keyboard. If you find one, BIAB can convert it and use it.
Quote:

To access the better sounds of your Yamaha keyboard, you will need to select it as the MIDI Output device and also select a Patch file (.PAT). There is a built-in .PAT file for the Yamaha DGX 203/205 that is installed with BIAB. Chances are that this file is similar to what you need, and probably has a subset of the sounds on your keyboard. You would have to look at the manual for both devices and compare the list of available sounds to know for sure.

To select a .Pat file in BIAB, click on the little plus sign icon just to the left of the Volume setting. Make sure you are in the /BB folder and you should be able to select the Yamaha DGX 203 .Pat file when you are asked to load one. Then, you will be able to click on a radio button for each instrument, and then click on the plus sign icon, and select a patch (sound) for that instrument.

You can select the GM2 sounds, but be sure NOT to check the DXi box.

It's also possible you would want to go to the GM menu on the main screen, Send MIDI message, Send XG On setting if you find that the instruments are changing but seem to be playing the wrong instrument.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Give it a try and report back with your questions.

Also, if the patch file for that other model Yamaha is not right, Google for a Cakewalk .INS file for your keyboard. If you find one, BIAB can convert it and use it.

Thanks, Matt! I'll give these things a try.

But, if it totally screws things up, How do I undo everything (ie - incompatible patch file; Undo-ing "Send XG On at Startup"; etc)?

Thanks!
Selecting the Patchmap file is only selecting a text listing of what matches your synth's instrument patches. It does nothing else. If you select a patch map and it isn't the right one, just select another.

To change the Send XG On command back just select Send GM instead.

Don't be timid, there's nothing you can really do that is not reversible in some way.

--Mac
Right, and there is always Opt,. Return to Factory Settings. Give it a try.

ps What's your definition of Upstate New York? As you can see, I'm in the Mid-Hudson Valley. New York City calls us upstate, and the rest of the state calls us downstate.
Quote:

Right, and there is always Opt,. Return to Factory Settings. Give it a try.

ps What's your definition of Upstate New York? As you can see, I'm in the Mid-Hudson Valley. New York City calls us upstate, and the rest of the state calls us downstate.

You're downstate to me. I'm in Glens Falls.
Either way you're closer to the Bully Hill vineyards than I am anymore...

Enjoy.

--Mac
I also live part-time on Lake George, so you are upstate and downstate both!
© PG Music Forums