PG Music Home
Posted By: rms BIAB crashes while "counting candidate plugins" - 02/24/13 12:28 PM
I am having the same problem as 2 previous posters.
Win 7 pro 64bit, BIAB 2013 full installation to C: drive.

All the suggestions on the previous posts have not worked. there is obviously a plugin causing the problem but I do not know where to go from here.

All was well untill I downloaded some demo .wav to midi conversion programs, they were all deleted but the next day BIAB crashed with "counting candidate plugins" message.

BIAB, Realband and Powertracks pro are all affected. Have uninstalled - reinstalled, nothing will work.

Any further suggestions ?

Erol Richardson
Hi rms,

This is probably best sorted out by the PG Music folk. I'd contact Support on their toll-free line. Contact information is found under the "Support" link at the top of the page.

A question, When you re-installed BIAB, did you install over the existing files in the existing directory? If so, it would be worthwhile deleting the whole \bb and \Realband folders and then reinstalling. The reason I mention this is because if you re-installed over the top of an existing installation, there may well have been some configuration files that were preserved.

Regards,
Noel
Thanks Noel

I will email support at PG
I am in Oz, so it is a bit harder to ring them

When I reinstalled, I had un-installed through control panel and checked that the directory was gone.

Erol
If you are willing, another approach would be to uninstall all your plugins. Then test BIAB and, if it works, reinstall the plugins one by one, testing BIAB after each one. Terribly tedious, but it might work.
I have this problem as well. . I use this work-around.

If you go into the Band-in-a-Box directory and look for a file called,

PluginScanLog.log

Open it with Windows notepad and look for a line that says,

... 131 candidate plugins were counted.

Note that your number will most likely be different then mine. Make a note of the number and close NotePad.

Now, in the Band-in-a-Box directory, look for a file called,

DXPluginList.ini

And open it with NotePad. Scroll down to the very bottom of the file and change the entry 'RawPlugCount' equal to the number noted earlier.

Do the same thing with another file called,

DXiPluginList.ini

This works for me and I hope it helps. It doesn't actually fix the problem, but it prevents Band-in-a-Box from doing a plugin scan when you start it and at least gets you into the program.
if you know the problem started when you DL the other program, it may have changed some settings before you deleted it from your computer.

Have you tried using system restore to go back to the day before you downloaded the rogue program? That should put all your settings back where they were.
Thanks for the help guy's
I could not identify the plugin causing the problem.....So I "bit the bullet" and did a format and fresh Win 7x64 install.

All is well again
© PG Music Forums