PG Music Home
Posted By: Randy29 Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/24/13 09:28 PM
I am new to digital music and music software. Is anyone currently using Band in the Box 2013 for Windows with a Casio Privia PX-130?
Posted By: Rachael Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/24/13 10:33 PM
Rather than wait for a 'yes', what do you need help with?
Posted By: Randy29 Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/25/13 01:53 PM
I do not want to purchase the software only to find out that it does not work with my Casio Privia PX-130. I have no reason to believe that it will not work.
Posted By: Rachael Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/25/13 03:15 PM
A brief look at the Casio indicates it does not support GM midi commands. Although BIAB defaults to GM, patches are easily changed. In fact, there a number of patch maps available for Casio in the support area found HERE.
Posted By: Randy29 Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/26/13 12:55 AM
Thank you Rachael but I must confess I didn't understand much of what you provided. I do no expect everyone to educate me on what for me is a new music experience. At any rate, I think you told me that it is ok to purchase BinaB 2013 because I can download software that will make my Casio PX-130 useful. Is this correct?
Posted By: allis Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/26/13 01:46 AM
That Privia is not a complete "General MIDI" sound module, because it contains only a limited set of commonly-used keyboard sounds. It has no pretensions to the full set of 128 instruments that BiaB can use. It is, however a competent and unusually nice-feeling MIDI keyboard that can work with a program like BiaB. The chances are that you won't be relying on General MIDI sounds much anyway, since the BiaB Real Tracks replace them.

So, although the Privia may not be the perfect match with BiaB, it will do very well. If you ever need a more fully compatible MIDI sound module, you can add one later, after you figure out what all that means. Plunge on.

There's a fair amount to learn, but it will be fun to do.
Posted By: Brallan Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/26/13 02:02 AM
By the way, Randy... don't know if you have researched it yet, but there are several other Casio Privia keyboards that are very affordable, very light, sound good, and do have midi GM implacability suitable for use with BIAB or other computer software. The great thing about these keyboards, IMO, is that they feel really good to play, as Larry has pointed out.

I have a Privia PX-3 )now PX-3s, and currently being discounted), and I love it -- it does habe general midi compatibility. The main thing, as I see it, is to decide if you need speakers in the unit, or you want outboard speakers or an amp... the Px-3 doesn't have speakers, but is very easy to hook up flexibly in any number of ways.
Posted By: Mac Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/26/13 01:29 PM
Even though your CASIO piano does not contain the full 128 instrument General MIDI voice bank, you can still attach it to your computer and use it with Band in a Box.

Use of one of the *software* MIDI synths, such as the DXi or VSTi synths that are available, some of which are included free with Band in a Box, as the Output selection inside BB, plus selecting the CASIO as the Input selection will allow you to play the keyboard along with Band in a Box on the Thru track as BB plays the accompaniment tracks, using the software voices with the CASIO if so desired. You can also just use the CASIO's internal voices alternatively, by selecting the CASIO as MIDI output and play its great sounding piano voice, for instance, along with Band in a Box all Realtracks songs.

This all may seem formidable at first, as there are likely new terminologies and issues about MIDI that you will have to deal with, but the good news is that there are lots of us here to help you get it up and running once you have the marvelous Band in a Box software in hand and installed on your computer.

The CASIO Privia PX-130 WILL WORK FINE WITH BAND IN A BOX.

--Mac
Posted By: Randy29 Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/26/13 03:30 PM
Thank you all for the great information. I have copied and pasted it into a word processing document so that I can study it after I receive my purchased copy of BinaB.

The primary reason I purchased the Casio Privia PX-130 was for the excellent keyboard response. I honestly cannot feel any discernible difference from an acoustic.

Thanks again!
Posted By: Brallan Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 02/26/13 04:35 PM
I didn't realize you had already bought the 130 -- sorry. I am sure it's a great machine, and am glad you are as impressed with the "touch" as I have been. Mac is absolutely right, you can easily use it with BIAB and RealBand, using the softsynth option which is built in to the software and which works well... search our extensive forum files to see a lot of discussion about which softsynths sound best, which are free, where to get them, etc.

And if you ever need a peripheral that does General Midi, there are lots of good ones available.
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 04/25/13 03:02 AM
Randy 29: I'm curious to know how this worked out for you.

Also, to everyone on this thread:

My church owns this computer and wants to do sound replacement from a sequencer software and have it play out to the keyboard as an audio instrument sound (they basically don't like the factory installed sounds on the board). I'm skeptical that it's possible: 1) because the general midi language issue and 2) because the jack is a midi/usb port.

I've had one person at Casio tell me it's not possible to use a virtual instrument replacement on this board... as well as a expert at Sweetwater sound. Still, I'd be curious to know if, once you use the driver maps offered above, if it's possible to utilize sound replacement during performance. Note, that I'm not intending to "download" any sounds onto this board itself.

Based on the outputs of this keyboard and it's midi values... also considering the upload of new driver mapping... Can I replace the sound or not. I'd be looking at using EZ Keys.

Also, the "technical support" guy at Casio had no clue what actual midi values were used/other types of midi language. I'm not familiar with the older versions of midi, so if anyone knows the name of what actual midi set is used on this keyboard; I'd be greatly indebted to you.

Thanks for any help!

Vr,
Amy Elizabeth
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 04/25/13 03:04 AM
there is no audio out port other than the headphone jack, and it's hokey.
Posted By: Ian Ferrin Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 04/25/13 02:04 PM
Hi Amy,

Quote:

My church owns this computer and wants to do sound replacement from a sequencer software and have it play out to the keyboard as an audio instrument sound (they basically don't like the factory installed sounds on the board). I'm skeptical that it's possible:

You're right. It's not possible. You can't play virtual instruments like Kontakt thru a keyboard. You can however use a computer as the virtual 'guts' and use your keyboard for it's midi keyboard function, with all the sounds coming from the computer. Lot's of churches and pro keyboard players use a computer on stage for just this function. Your keyboard connects via midi to the computer and then the computer is hooked into the sound system. The computer must be equipped w/ audio and midi function. You CAN use the computer's built in soundcard for the audio, but it might not sound a good as a dedicated sound module.

If your keyboard doesn't have a midi output, it's a cheap keyboard and probably wouldn't be considered adequate by many for church use.

Peace,

Ian
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 04/25/13 07:06 PM
Hi Amy, let's try to clarify what you're trying to do here. First I'm assuming when you say EX Keys you're talking about the softsynth from Toontrack.

Second, when you say you want to use a software replacement and have it play out to the Casio...you have it backwards. Your Casio is a controller that is playing the software EZ Keys that is IN your computer so the Casio is sending midi OUT to the computer (NOT audio), the computer is generating the sound using EZ Keys. You use your audio outputs from the computer, the audio outs of the Casio are irrelevant.

Here's how all this works. The casio has a USB midi out. You take a USB cable and plug it from the Casio to your computer using any of your computers USB ports. The computer should now recognize the Casio by displaying the "Windows has found new hardware" window. You shouldn't have to do anything, now the Casio is recognized. That's step 1. Step 2 is to open your DAW, since this is PG's forum, I'll use Real Band. RB is known as a DAW or sequencer. EZ Keys is a plug in that requires a host or DAW. It might work without a DAW (in Standalone mode) but I'm not seeing that in the advertising but it could be there. Once EZ Keys is installed, RB should find it. That process can be a bit tricky, lets leave that for later if there's a problem.

Here's where the confusing part is. First is the computer a new powerful PC or is it a typical donated antique thing? If it's old and slow, this may not work. If it's newer and fairly powerful it'll work fine. Next is the interface. If you don't have a separate interface and you're just using the PC's internal soundcard you'll get unacceptable latency when you try to play the keyboard. Latency is a delay you hear when you hit a key. You hit the key and a half second later you hear the sound. You'll come screaming back here yelling I can't play this!! Help!! You need a good interface that has a good ASIO driver. Again, I'm not going into details about that right now, just look it up. ASIO will reduce the delay down to the point you won't notice it. A good interface will also have good audio output plugs and a good software mixer. Run the audio out from the interface to your house PA and you're good to go.

Final point going back to the top. In this scenario the Casio is merely a controller that is controlling whatever software synth you have selected inside whatever DAW you are running inside your computer. The internal sounds of the Casio and some possible conflict with general midi have nothing to do with it. You make sure the Casio is set to the same midi channel as your EZ Keys and everything will be fine.

Bob
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/01/13 09:58 PM
Hey Bob and Ian,

I have to apologize for saying "My church owns this computer".. I obviously meant.. that my church owns this keyboard. It was late and I was tired.
I am familiar with midi and how it works, but the church wanted to use the keyboard as the "thru".
When i said sound replacement, we were hoping to not be coming out of the computers out. And how would you do that anyway?
Headphone jacks out again?

I'm already not happy about the keyboards only actual feasible audio out being headphone jacks either. That loses some sound quality, as I understand it... to go all the way from 3.55mm to xlr. Yikes.

In our situation, we have the cpu (brand new computer mbp) at the back of the church and a decent 300 foot to the front of the church.... a usb cable that far will have latency. While midi use is advisable in these scenarios... we are still unsure about this particular keyboard as even the Casio technicians can't seem to tell us how many values sets that it does use, so as to use the proper map patches as needed. So frustrating.

In the end, the church has decided not to use this keyboard..... as work with any amps/speakers/outboxes will require the use of the headphone jacks as outs to those items... and the headphone outs are running an unbalanced pre-amp out of it in them...and puts noise on the line, even with a TRS connector. If we by-pass the unbalanced pre-amp to the headphone.. we lose volume. This particular keyboard is a menace.

Still, for my own knowledge, I'd like to know how all these bigger churches go from computer to speakers?

Sorry, I'm not a novice to midi, but using headphones as outs.. well, that's just not what I'm used to.... and I've never done sound replacement outside of a interface based studio.

Thanks for the help!
-Amy
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/01/13 10:42 PM
Ian,

What if the keyboard has neither midi or audio, but only one usb in/out? Just checking.

Also, It is my understanding that newer workstation and arranger keyboards and some stage pianos can use the midi in and out to "grab" a VSTi sound and uses the keyboard as the thru, so as to accomplish sound replacement....not that you are downloading, but you are using the intrument software to play a VSTi, and then because midi can go back to the keyboard, and some keyboards are actual interfaces themselves..that it can play out it's own RCA or 1/4 inch outs as if the keyboard is the "thru". Is that not right?
Posted By: Mac Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/01/13 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: amynelson

I'm already not happy about the keyboards only actual feasible audio out being headphone jacks either. That loses some sound quality, as I understand it... to go all the way from 3.55mm to xlr. Yikes.

With the properly wired adaptor, there would be no audible difference. Electrically, the headphone output is an unbalanced line level signal.

So that part is nothing to worry about, just rather inconvenient in hookup.

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/02/13 03:12 PM
It is my understanding that newer workstation and arranger keyboards and some stage pianos can use the midi in and out to "grab" a VSTi sound and uses the keyboard as the thru, so as to accomplish sound replacement....not that you are downloading, but you are using the intrument software to play a VSTi, and then because midi can go back to the keyboard, and some keyboards are actual interfaces themselves..that it can play out it's own RCA or 1/4 inch outs as if the keyboard is the "thru". Is that not right?

Amy, your understanding is kinda, sorta almost there. A keyboard doesn't "grab" anything and I have to go back to Bob's basic mantra: "Midi is not audio, audio is not midi, oommmm".

Midi is computer commands telling a synthesizer what to play. It's the synth that is generating the audio so therefore where do you plug in your audio cables to go to your PA? The audio cables go from the synth. The next question then is where is the synth? It could be the internal synth inside your keyboard, it could be a hardware synth module or it could be a software synth inside a computer. If it's software inside your computer then where do you plug in your audio cables? Obviously the audio has to come from your computer. Do you want to use those stupid little mini plugs coming from your motherboard on the back? No you don't, you use a separate audio/midi interface that has proper 1/4' audio output jacks just like any other piece of stage equipment. Yes, some keyboards do act as interfaces but most of those are not appropriate for what you need.

You need a standard audio/midi interface that plugs into the computer using USB. So that means the Casio plugs into a USB port and the interface plugs into another USB port. The computer sees the Casio as a midi device (controller) and it also sees the interface. You play the Casio's keys only NOT it's internal synth, the computer generates the sound using a software VSTi through the interface and the audio cables go from the interface to your PA. Simple. Forget these words "grabbing", "thru", "downloading". They're confusing the issue. The Casio's internal sounds or lack of audio output plugs are completely irrelevant.

If the computer you're talking about is 300 feet from the stage then no, that is not going to work. IF you want to use VSTi's for your sound then you need a laptop right there on stage with you next to the keyboard. If using a laptop on stage is not possible then your only option is to use a hardware synth module that you control from the Casio and the audio output goes from that to your PA or you need another keyboard that has the sounds you like.

Bob
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/06/13 01:28 PM
While I am not interested to argue just for arguements sake, but I believe headphones are similarly either unbalanced or balanced based on the amt of rings on the jack. For ex: a TRS (tip+ring+sleeve) is balanced and a TS (tip+sleeve) is unbalanced. Just like on guitar cords (unbalanced 1/4 outs with TS) vs typical speaker 1/4 outs that are TRS. And, of course, a TRRS is also unbalanced. yada yada yada...
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/06/13 01:32 PM
Why would buying a keyboard that *is* an interface, not be appropriate as a stage piano? It seems to me, that this is becoming more and more the way to go... and yes, I've considered an interface (actually in our case) between the cpu and the board... Though I appreciate the clarification about the interface outboard of the cpu outs. I figured that was the case. We want to stay away from a computer rig on stage, due to small stage and no booth near the stage.. Ours is the traditional, in the back of the house, booth. smirk This keyboard does not have a midi out. So usb latency out is an issue.. as it's a live performance.
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/06/13 01:44 PM
I was going to respond to this, but I felt defensive, as I had been pretty clear and was using typical midi jargon("thru")... other than the "grabbing"... which was confusing. So,.. anyway. Thanks for your help! and we will see where to go from here.
Posted By: Mac Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/06/13 01:49 PM
While I am not interested to argue just for arguements sake, but I believe headphones are similarly either unbalanced or balanced based on the amt of rings on the jack. For ex: a TRS (tip+ring+sleeve) is balanced and a TS (tip+sleeve) is unbalanced. Just like on guitar cords (unbalanced 1/4 outs with TS) vs typical speaker 1/4 outs that are TRS. And, of course, a TRRS is also unbalanced. yada yada yada...

The mistake you are making, easy to make, is that you are thinking that the same type of connector will always be wired for the same type of output. This is not the case.

I have never encountered a Balanced headphone output in over 40 years of servicing and playing music equipments.

The TRS on a headphone jack is there so that both the L and R channel outputs, UNbalanced, can be present. The Sleeve serves as the shared ground or - terminal for both of those unbalanced channels.

When presented with proper adaptor connections to a Line Level Unbalanced Input, the Headphone output will be at the right AC signal voltage to drive that input exactly the same as when an output made for unbalanced line level is available, provided that you have turned the Volume Control on the keyboard up high enough.

As far AS "arguments" go, this is not an argument. The above is simply a fact.

--Mac
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/06/13 01:56 PM
It seems that without a keyboard with a balance out anyway (our has a preamp in the headphone out that is also unbalanced).. that it's all a moot point anyway. Still, it's good to learn more about the headphone issues from your viewpoint... Still, I've heard it differently, even recently, from an electrical engineer who stated to me that they are the same conductors as 1/4 outs.... and the TRS headphones are indeed balanced.
I guess that's where I was mentioning arguement. I am no electrical engineer though, so I will stop this here. There's nothing more that I can offer on those more technical points. My only observation, on my own, is that they rarely seat very well and the static on line can sometimes come from the posts not actually being properly seated. Hmmmmm
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/07/13 03:20 PM
Amy, what about all the rest of the things I posted about?
Especially the part about using the Casio as a controller?

You keep fixating on the headphone audio outs. I have said twice now that is irrelevant if you're using the Casio to play a VST like EZ Keys.

What about that?

Also, Mac is right.

Bob
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/12/13 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Amy, what about all the rest of the things I posted about?
Especially the part about using the Casio as a controller?

You keep fixating on the headphone audio outs. I have said twice now that is irrelevant if you're using the Casio to play a VST like EZ Keys.

What about that?

Also, Mac is right.

Bob

Bob_ I am not sure why you are seemingly annoyed. I've addressed the issue with regard to the Casio as a controller. It is a USB only keyboard. USB latency to the back of the house would mean that we can't play live, without being out of the rhythm. (unless we buy an interface).

Fixating... sure. I am frustrated with this keyboard as I'm sure you might be if you were in my situation. But, since most ppl will not have to use this "board"... well, that's probably a good thing.

About Mac being right about a topic,.. Great!! It would just be nice if you mention the part that you believe he is correct on:.... so that I can learn, and not assume you are frustrated or being controversial...as you seem angry.
Posted By: rharv Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/13/13 01:10 AM
I'm not an electrical engineer either (I just make the interwebs work)

But to my knowledge every word in Mac's post is spot on, so there is no 'part' he is correct on. It was all correct.

Think of TRS as the way a wire is made (configured). It' just a jack .. it can make a difference on how those connections inside it are used by the device they plug in to.
So while a headphone wire looks like TRS (the jack part), how the wires are connected inside of it, and how they are used by the connected device, can be different.

Welcome to the forums. You can learn a lot here. I have.
Posted By: Mac Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/13/13 11:28 AM
...USB latency to the back of the house would mean that we can't play live, without being out of the rhythm. (unless we buy an interface)...

The USB port would not be the latency bottleneck there.

Use of USB plus ASIO sound drivers can work very well in realtime to play VSTi or DXi software synthesizers.

I would not try to run USB "to back of house" and can't see why anyone would even desire to do it that way.

I would keep the laptop that hosts the VSTi/DXi synth selections and host program right on the stage with me and the keyboard, for reasons of usability. Sometimes you may have to be able to get at that laptop and keep those things working, for one reason.

With today's laptops, no external sound device is needed, either. The playback audio of today's internal sound devices is very good indeed, this is because of the heavy consumer interest in being able to play back audio and video.

ASIO can be utilized by simply downloading and installing the free ASIO4ALL sound drivers. This will indeed provide low latency, sometimes can get it "all the way down" to 2mS round trip.

And, yes, I do so all the time.

And at that point, the USB connect need only be long enough to go from keyboard to laptop.

Audio out from the laptop is all that need go to back of house and again, I use the earphone out jack of the laptop to drive Line Level to PA systems all the time.

But I think the difference is that I WANT to make the thing work.

Sounds to me like what amy wants is a new keyboard...

So get one.

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/13/13 03:46 PM
Amy, not angry but yes a little annoyed. I spelled out exactly how to do what you want but you're not addressing those points. I said the same thing Mac just said, you have to put a laptop on stage right next to you and all will be good. You didn't comment on that at all, you just reiterated what you said earlier about having a computer in the back of the church. Then I specifically told you about how to use the USB connection but you ignored that as well, simply saying it won't work.

Now Mac just gave you specific instructions as well.

You don't know what you're talking about Amy so I've given you plenty of info to at least start a dialog about how to do what you want but you're not responding to those specific points so yes, that's annoying.

Bob
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/13/13 08:57 PM
Ian- Thanks for your listening and confirmation, as well as advice and information.

Thanks Rhary! Not sure why my friend wasn't being clear about that then, but I get what you are saying here: ie, the 2 conductors + 1 ground , do not necessarily a balance make. Thanks!

Mac - Unfortunately, it's *not* what I want that matters. It's the churches money and they are attempting to keep the budget as low as possible. We do not have the luxury of doing what we want. It would be nice though, ...on either account, certainly a stage rig at the keyboard is ideal, if you have the funds and ppl trained in how to fix issues on the spot.. another of many problems for our situation as well. I am not trying to usurp what is best for the church, so that I can play on a different piano. I think a lot of ppl take for granted how much a producer or musician spends on his/her equipment and how much effort goes into keeping that item up-to-date, maintained, properly licenced, cost of vst software, router, adapters, sequencer and more. We are doing what's best for our *church's* needs.

Mac and Bob- I mentioned that we don't own a computer for the stage and it's not our intention to purchase one. I was glad, though, to hear about how it's done as I was curious.. but you all greatfully were fully clear early on about how to use the computer to soundboard. Thanks again. Our present computer *must* remain where it is for projection and movie reasons. We'd have to buy a second one. We can't afford it.

Bob- Either by your implicit impatience or by your explicit statement that *you think* that I don't know what I'm talking about.... It's just rude. I stated (on page 2)that we are not intending to do a computer set-up on stage... and one of the many reasons why. If you are not going to read my posts, in their entirety, then why would I respond to your every question? Had you just said "Amy, you mentioned that you don't want to put a computer on stage because there's not enough room and there's not a booth in the back. Well, why is that a problem?"... Well, I would have answered that for ya and explained our unique set of circumstances as to why, as well as the financial and logistical issues to doing a rig on stage, for many reasons.

For the help I've received Thank you ... again. As for the environment of this thread... either I've been completely unclear or this is just not the best place to have this conversation.

Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 04:58 AM
Re-reading of the whole thread here's my understanding:

1. The church already decided against using the PX-130. Good.
2. The rest of the discussion is just for personal interest on how to use stage keyboards as a sound source when there are long runs to the FOH mixer.
3. The perception of this not being a good place to ask questions is based on several misuses of technical terminology.

a. PX-130 being referred to as a computer; quickly resolved.
b. Grabbing VSTi by a keyboard - I'm still confused by this one, although I think what Amy meant is that keyboards with synth engines on board, can play out audio output in response to MIDI; still not resolved. Amy, any MIDI device that has a 'Thru' connection merely means that the MIDI 'train' doesn't stop at that station nor get modified by that particular device in the chain. In this case, the keyboard that you would want to make sound, must be set to respond to the incoming MIDI data. If you set it as a 'thru' device, then it will sit there silently.
c. Misunderstanding and insistence that TRS connections connote that whatever device attached to them are balanced, when balanced audio merely implies the transmission mechanism.

To answer your curiosity from point 2 above, here is how large churches have typically sent audio to the FOH mixer:

Keyboard has it's own sound engine on board, that was desired in the first place-->analog audio 'snake'-->FOH Mixer somewhere mid to rear of the room.

Many setups now replace the analog audio snake with a digital audio snake, with the A/D happening close to the stage.

Setups with a more modern sound have one or more laptops (and lately iOS devices) on stage as sound sources or even orchestration/timing devices. One worship band that I mix uses Reason software to time their set - they don't have a keyboard player many times, but pads and click track are provided by Reason; pads go to FOH mix, click track to the drummer. This is for a church where most attending don't have church songs known by heart - they are curious about church - and the worship set is pre-planned from a timing standpoint.

I'm curious as to what the church ended up deciding on for the keyboard. If you want flexibility, get one with proper MIDI In/Out connectors(thru is almost never needed for a fairly simple MIDI setup like in most churches these days).

-Scott
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 01:06 PM
Yay!! oh my Goodness.. Scott... THANK YOU!

If I didn't want to learn, I would *not* have been curious about other people's contemporary church set-ups and/or even asked any questions about my own situation. So.. the comments were/are very helpful and you also happen to seem to understand what's happened on the rabbit trails of this thread as well.

I apologize if I was in any way rude, to anyone. It may not be helpful in the repetition of post comments or the insistance that I *do* it their way, but I did want to hear about the set-up just in case we were ever able to accomplish it later.

Scott-Warning! Inside these subsequent brackets contain a lot of hoopla. smile Warning! We are not intending to do this.. I'm just hypothetically pondering different ways to jimmy-rig a set-up.... and attempting to make sure my MIDI understanding is correct now. I have other music endeavors occuring.. so to truely understand this, is far better than just fixing the issues at the church, but to get it right in my mind would fix both situations.
{{{{About point "b." : I understand, like yourself, and believe it to be the case that the keyboard would not change the actual sound of the midi signal as it does it's thru either. Here's how my mind was working: The keyboard plays the midi signal the first time --> goes to the cpu --> can get changed by software (ie- asking the computer to change the sound to another instrument) and then --> back to the keyboard midi in ...thru the keyboard --> out the keyboard. Because MIDI is so compressed and fast, this happens almost completely instantaneously. Because, we'd buy a keyboard with actual MIDI ports.. we theoretically run midi lines to the sound board without latency, since we don't have a digital snake of sorts....just analog xlr. Does that make sense? Again.. THAt is crazy hypothetical.. Someone at Sweetwater stated that this works, but truely, it's only based on having a keyboard with a sound engine and a few cords. }}}} As you said.. keeping it simple and not using the keyboard as a thru is the way to go. When you get on a limited budget, you'll run softwares off computers with old ports and ports already being used by other objects as well. This isn't ideal in anyway, but understanding it can get you a long way on a lower budget sometimes. I'm not sure that I may not have to actually use this for something else that I'm doing right now. Ha! and Yikes.

About "C.": I did not consider that headphones might Always be unbalanced, until Mac stated his experience. I was (as you have suggested here) assuming the conductor made the difference, but obviously it's something else that makes the difference, for which I hope to learn more about someday. Thank you for that. smile Since a gentleman in the profession stated otherwise to me or I *thought* he was stating so.... I will go back and clear up my own falacies with him, but with more knowledge. To further,.. my understanding was Also that a balance has to do with the port *and* the connector being both balanced, to keep noise off of a long line, too. We continue to have noise from the keyboard.. which I assume is the pre-amp. The adapters work as a headphone jack-> headphone to RCA adapater cable->converter box that converts RCA to XLR-> xlr to snake. The cables are all brand new as well as the converter box and analog snake.

smile Boy a digital/analog hybrid of a snake would make this all so much better! Thank you for letting me know about that. Wow. Huge difference that that would make, in the short term and long term.

"Keyboard has it's own sound engine on board, that was desired in the first place-->analog audio 'snake'-->FOH Mixer somewhere mid to rear of the room."
Exactly what the current plan is, for the short-term.
Long-term all of this will change more to a stage rig set-up. We are researching sequencers/vst software programs for the long-run. Thanks for the suggestion for Reason. That's what we were thinking too, or Reaper and Komplete (whichever edition of Komplete is up at that point). All of this to watch the budget.

I was "tasked" with this, because I run a SaphirePro40/Reaper set-up and keys at home.. but obviously, that does not make me an expert on stage set-ups. I am just the only one in church doing any form of digital work right now... but again... this does not necessarily make me reliable, just learning even more. This information, from everyone, is all good stuff. It's All good.

I'm researching keys at this point and will take suggestions from ya, if you have some that you love. It certainly will have to have actual MIDI, that's for sure... and hopefully a nice set of ports, in general. Certainly 1/4 outs and/or RCA outs. It just seems that all of the professional keyboards have all of this. This privia had a lot of promotions that tauted it as a professional peice of gear and that is just not true.

Thanks for your patience as you re-read through this entire post. The thread has been helpful, if not easy, and you've been kind enough not to take the time to sort through it all and discern, as well as to teach what was needed. Thank you so much.

Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 01:40 PM
Amy,

Here is where you still have some misunderstanding:

"he keyboard plays the midi signal the first time --> goes to the cpu --> can get changed by software (ie- asking the computer to change the sound to another instrument) and then --> back to the keyboard midi in ...thru the keyboard --> out the keyboard. Because MIDI is so compressed and fast, this happens almost completely instantaneously."

MIDI is not audio data. Period. All that it consists of is commands, when and how someone pushed buttons on some midi device, how fast they pushed, perhaps how hard and for how long. Commands. Like in a Word document, a record of what letters were pushed, but not the actual font details - which are stored outside of Word.

The CPU and Word combine the details about which letters were typed, which font was used, and combine them together to shoot to the screen - where you see what appears to be a simple document - the analog output of the combination of letters and fonts. You can make an analog hard-copy on the printer.

The computer CPU in the music sense - this is where the sound conversion from digital to analog will happen if you are using the computer as the sound source. The analog data DOES NOT travel with MIDI back to the keyboard. All that the keyboard can do, specifically this PX-130 is the following:

1. Output analog of one of the 16 types of sounds through it's jack; which in this case is a TRS jack for either headphones or to split out to L/R (which will be fine - just take Mac's advice)

2. It can connect to a computer that interprets MIDI commands over USB, then the computer is used as the sound source. Here it is a special kind of controller keyboard. Many controller keyboards also include the physical MIDI in/out jacks (and a few still have thru- but that's less common these days).

3. It MAY (and I use that cautiously) be able to control sounds for a box like the Muse Receptor/MuseBox - but don't take my word for it - those boxes would need to be able to interpret MIDI over USB, which they may not. They are really PCs with audio interfaces built in and a specialized Linux OS to do just this one thing.

That is all. There's no way to make analog audio or even digital audio travel over MIDI. So, your idea to send audio back to the stage over MIDI - sorry, that is not how it works.

MIDI is actually a serial data bus carrying only 'event' type information, no audio. Nada. Zilch. etc.

Even with the digital snake scenario I described above, the only sounds that will ever come out of the Privia PX 130 are the built in sounds. That's it. Some of the higher end Privias have great sound sets. This one is designed to be very basic. That said, for piano and electric piano, it's probably great.

My advice would be: DO NOT go towards Reason, Reaper, etc. until you have a little better understanding of what is at play with how midi works, how sound synthesis works inside a keyboard, inside a PC, etc. I merely mentioned the use of Reason by the Brian Davis band because it's a clever way for them to keep their 'show' organized and sounding full, with mostly live players (sans a keyboard player), etc.

What again is the main goal for the church? Are you trying to play accompaniment tracks live? If so, then you can do this from the back of the church without much issue. You just need a way to trigger the songs from the stage or with a helper at the FOH mixer.

Don't toss that Privia yet. I think your fear of going from 1/8 inch to XLR is that you are worried of doing this all on the jack itself. Do this: 1/8th stereo to 2x 1/4", then plug those 1/4" into either a stereo direct box to XLR, or 2 different direct boxes. You will be fine this way. You could even stand to do a little 1/8" stereo splitter out of the headphone jack on the Privia - take one to some headphones, and the other with the cable combo listed immediately above - to give you ability to monitor what's coming out of the Privia.
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 02:44 PM
Midi Talk:
Knew about the midi (computer [[0/1/x]] events) vs the audio.. hence discussing the value sets of this board (Keyboard) not being general midi language. I knew that I was not discussing audio frequency, when i brought it up to the initial poster. Hence also discussing driver mapping. Thankfully, it sounds like the sequencers have the option to change the event numbers, within them. Where I'm confused, is where the conversion between midi and audio occurs...which I call the actual "interface", just because that makes sense to me to use that jargon.

Hypothetical:
"The computer CPU in the music sense - this is where the sound conversion from digital to analog will happen if you are using the computer as the sound source. The analog data DOES NOT travel with MIDI back to the keyboard."
Ok.. so.. I'm going to try to clear up the confusion here. Does the computer have to change it to audio there? Can't it continue on a *midi* path, all the way back to the keys and then change it at the sound machine interface *inside* the keyboard? Again, this is hypothetical for the sake of learning midi vs audio, etc, under the understanding that you'd be using a newer keyboard that has an actual midi to audio interface within them now. I'm under the impression that that is how keyboards are being made now. You don't need computers anymore and can run the entire digital portions of the band off the keyboard, as it is now the actual rig.

Now, back to the Privia and our church: _________________________
I believe the USB transfers both midi and audio seperately, but on the one USB line... Some of the line's bandwith (a tiny amt) is used for midi, and the rest is used for audio. This is where the USB ports make for frustrating conversations. USB is also supposed to transfer midi and audio in *both* directions. This Privia user's manual states that the keyboard sends both, but receives only midi. Totally confounding as to why that would be the case. In the end, as USB ports change (we are moving into USB 3 "age" quickly here).. and as our budget would hopefully cover expenditures today that would last over at least a 10 year period...one would think that the older drivers will become extant for this keyboard and other USB2 only keyboards. Also, a major factor in our decision to go ahead with another Keyboard. Since MIDI is standard and doesn't use drivers, this is a must for our new keys.

Your suggestions:
As to your numbers (helpful, btw):
to number 1: check.
to number 2: check, but not interested due to budget and other reasons.
to number 3: sounds far too out of my zone of knowledge

Another Option:
We were considering (for the Privia), a Roland SD-50, since it is a USB interface outbox with sounds that we like.

For Now:
"Don't toss that Privia yet. I think your fear of going from 1/8 inch to XLR is that you are worried of doing this all on the jack itself. Do this: 1/8th stereo to 2x 1/4", then plug those 1/4" into either a stereo direct box to XLR, or 2 different direct boxes. You will be fine this way."

This is our current set-up.. and we are not tossing the Privia for that reason. It's still has noise on the line, but I've read that I need to by-pass the pre-amp to get rid of it. smirk

"You could even stand to do a little 1/8" stereo splitter out of the headphone jack on the Privia - take one to some headphones, and the other with the cable combo listed immediately above - to give you ability to monitor what's coming out of the Privia. "

Exactly what we do, to get by, in the meantime. The Privia has two headphone jacks and we use the second one in my ears, for playing, during our worship time.

While the noise is on the line, we can get by with it because it's not awful, but truely.. for the future, it needs to end... sooner than later. As well, as for podcasting, which we do of the sermon, but not the music because of this.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 04:50 PM
Amy you wrote:

"Hypothetical:
"The computer CPU in the music sense - this is where the sound conversion from digital to analog will happen if you are using the computer as the sound source. The analog data DOES NOT travel with MIDI back to the keyboard."
Ok.. so.. I'm going to try to clear up the confusion here. Does the computer have to change it to audio there? Can't it continue on a *midi* path, all the way back to the keys and then change it at the sound machine interface *inside* the keyboard? Again, this is hypothetical for the sake of learning midi vs audio, etc, under the understanding that you'd be using a newer keyboard that has an actual midi to audio interface within them now. I'm under the impression that that is how keyboards are being made now. You don't need computers anymore and can run the entire digital portions of the band off the keyboard, as it is now the actual rig."

THIS IS NOT TRUE - THE USB FROM THE PRIVIA IS MIDI ONLY. It is not an audio interface that communicates digital audio on the USB.

You also wrote:

"Now, back to the Privia and our church: _________________________
I believe the USB transfers both midi and audio seperately, but on the one USB line... Some of the line's bandwith (a tiny amt) is used for midi, and the rest is used for audio. This is where the USB ports make for frustrating conversations. USB is also supposed to transfer midi and audio in *both* directions. This Privia user's manual states that the keyboard sends both, but receives only midi. Totally confounding as to why that would be the case. In the end, as USB ports change (we are moving into USB 3 "age" quickly here).. and as our budget would hopefully cover expenditures today that would last over at least a 10 year period...one would think that the older drivers will become extant for this keyboard and other USB2 only keyboards. Also, a major factor in our decision to go ahead with another Keyboard. Since MIDI is standard and doesn't use drivers, this is a must for our new keys. "

Again the misunderstanding here is the the USB is carrying both MIDI and audio. Not true for this Privia, but true for your audio interface that you use at home. True for the Tascam US-800 interface that I use at home. However, that is not the case with this keyboard, nor most keyboards that use USB. This is the fundamental misunderstanding that you have with your whole premise.

The PX-130 is NOT a full USB audio and MIDI interface. It purely is a MIDI interface, and it may only be one direction; that being out of the keyboard.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 04:54 PM
Amy, you wrote that the Privia manual states that both audio and midi travel on the USB midi. This is not the case. Here is the manual: http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_PX130E1B.pdf

It is MIDI only. See page 24 and on from there in the manual.
Very typical for USB connections on music keyboards. Very few actually communicate audio on the USB as well.

-Scott
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 06:55 PM
Bob- Either by your implicit impatience or by your explicit statement that *you think* that I don't know what I'm talking about.... It's just rude.

Amy, this is just an internet forum so there's not that regular face to face interaction where you can tell from body language and tone of voice what's being said in addition to just the simple words. Words look very blunt in a forum because we're all trying to avoid writing a book here.

I'm being very friendly when I say this I'm even grinning, see <grin>. You don't know what you're talking about. The truth is not rude, an attitude can be and that is not my intention I'm simply speaking the truth as I see it.

This is a classic example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. You know just enough to completely and totally confuse yourself.

Scott is one of our very best guru's here. Listen to him very carefully. If you haven't completely driven Mac away, listen to him as well.

I will bow out now, you're in good hands.

Bob
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 09:17 PM
I'm sure *all* of us can learn *something* new every day... even here. Thanks for the response. smile
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Amy you wrote:

"Hypothetical:
Ok.. so.. I'm going to try to clear up the confusion here. Does the computer have to change it to audio there? Can't it continue on a *midi* path, all the way back to the keys and then change it at the sound machine interface *inside* the keyboard? Again, this is hypothetical for the sake of learning midi vs audio, etc, under the understanding that you'd be using a newer keyboard that has an actual midi to audio interface within them now. I'm under the impression that that is how keyboards are being made now. You don't need computers anymore and can run the entire digital portions of the band off the keyboard, as it is now the actual rig."

THIS IS NOT TRUE - THE USB FROM THE PRIVIA IS MIDI ONLY. It is not an audio interface that communicates digital audio on the USB.

Yes, I was discussing a board that would *be* an interface, not the Privia. The fourth-to-the-last line of this section states that.
Under, *THOSE* circumstance (of a keyboard that is an interface)... then, as you state it will go both ways. In *that* scenario, can't the midi go the cpu and back, *then* get converted to audio.. and go out the audio outs... and work?"

Gosh, this is a harder question to communicate then I thought. I make the assumption that because you state the Tascam can do that, that it *can* work??

You also wrote:

I believe the USB transfers both midi and audio seperately, but on the one USB line... Some of the line's bandwith (a tiny amt) is used for midi, and the rest is used for audio. This is where the USB ports make for frustrating conversations. USB is also supposed to transfer midi and audio in *both* directions. This Privia user's manual states that the keyboard sends both, but receives only midi. Totally confounding as to why that would be the case. In the end, as USB ports change (we are moving into USB 3 "age" quickly here).. and as our budget would hopefully cover expenditures today that would last over at least a 10 year period...one would think that the older drivers will become extant for this keyboard and other USB2 only keyboards. Also, a major factor in our decision to go ahead with another Keyboard. Since MIDI is standard and doesn't use drivers, this is a must for our new keys. "

Again the misunderstanding here is the the USB is carrying both MIDI and audio. Not true for this Privia, but true for your audio interface that you use at home. True for the Tascam US-800 interface that I use at home. However, that is not the case with this keyboard, nor most keyboards that use USB. This is the fundamental misunderstanding that you have with your whole premise. AH!! Here it is. The answer. !! You stated "most", meaning, I assume, that *some* USB keyboards may do this. Do you know which ones? I have some ideas that I'd like to see getting done, in my home studio and I'd really like to look into the purchase of one such keyboard, for myself. Any chance that you know what that type of keyboard is called?

The PX-130 is NOT a full USB audio and MIDI interface. It purely is a MIDI interface, and it may only be one direction; that being out of the keyboard. Yep.
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 09:34 PM
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Amy, you wrote that the Privia manual states that both audio and midi travel on the USB midi. This is not the case. Here is the manual: http://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_PX130E1B.pdf

It is MIDI only. See page 24 and on from there in the manual.
Very typical for USB connections on music keyboards. Very few actually communicate audio on the USB as well.

-Scott

Yep. The hypothetical idea is not my speaking of the Privia. I did, however, share that page with our church music leader last month and showed him how we had to use a cpu on the stage, purchase software, etc, or buy a different keyboard and we are not in the budget for an entire new rig set-up. This is how I've come to attempt to move past these offers, on the board herein, and get right down to what gaps of knowledge that I need to fill. One is the question about my own set-up at home.

The Privia is being used to the extent that *we* can use it, unless someone here on the board wants to donate the funds for a cpu, some software, an interface, some wires and maybe a belkin type of converter box too, since we only have an analog snake. {shrug} That has been clearly confirmed to me, by your clarifications.... and your comments have been most helpful about that. Thank you!

Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/14/13 10:12 PM
Amy,

You wrote:

Note that in there you stated that the manual for this particular Privia stated that it's says that it sends 'both'. The manual does not state that. Only midi.

I think that what has you confused is that in your home setup, yes, USB is used to communicate both audio and MIDI data. Not so with this keyboard, and not so with nearly every other keyboard on the market. I can only think of a few keyboards that do this, there was one from Line6, but it was unweighted and a 37 key controller and M-Audio had an audio interface built into one of their series, if I recall correctly.

This is actually a moot point. You can't easily/cheaply send USB data 300' to/from the stage to FOH mixer location where the computer is located. You would be better to spend the money it would take to have a keyboard with audio I/O that communicates over USB, on either a laptop to put on stage and run ASIO4ALL like Mac suggested (with the same type of cabling/direct box setup I suggested), or a keyboard that has a broader sound set on-board.

Let's get right down to a solution that will work - what sounds are you needing, apart from what this PX-130 can provide, which are necessary for your worship experience at your church?

I've done some looking online for audio demos of the PX-130. Here's one to watch with some great playing and demos at least one of the acoustic piano, one electric piano and a piano/string layer. Based on this audio demo, IMO, the PX-130 has killer acoustic piano and certainly servicable electric piano and layered piano string sounds.

Here's another that shows that the PX-130 is actually a decent stage keyboard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJDK4DW__1Q

Note that the audio quality you hear in each of these had to have come from one of the headphone jacks.

Lots of other demos on YouTube for this particular keyboard.

What sounds are you looking for that it doesn't already provide?

Don't let the headphone out only cause you to think that it can't be used. Your church almost certainly has some direct boxes that you could split the output from one of the headphone jacks to a L/R 1/4" plugs to go into two different direct boxes to feed the analog snake. However, I have to say that 300' is a long run; that's a heckuva long distance - a whole football field.

-Scott
Posted By: den_spain Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/17/13 01:34 AM
Well, I have read through this with an amused smile on my face. All I can add is....forget it guys, the lady really already knows what she has to do (or so she thinks), and you are wasting your time trying to educate her....she already knows it all.

Amy, no disrespect to you, but read back through this thread and evaluate your own comments. There is no point in seeking and asking for help, if you are not prepared to listen.

good luck

Den
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/22/13 01:58 PM
Originally Posted By: denspain
Well, I have read through this with an amused smile on my face. All I can add is....forget it guys, the lady really already knows what she has to do (or so she thinks), and you are wasting your time trying to educate her....she already knows it all.

Amy, no disrespect to you, but read back through this thread and evaluate your own comments. There is no point in seeking and asking for help, if you are not prepared to listen.

good luck

Den

Dear Den,
Oh, the things that many ppl would say to you by now... {ponders off into ridiculous forms of vitriol involving harsh language and ppl who attempt to use the internet to share signs of violent behaviors and no forms of self-control or restraint.}. Obviously, when you say "no disrespect", ... you are about to show disrespect; but it seems you don't care about that. I mean, who are we kidding here by you saying "no disrespect to you"? smirk If you truely want to pick an arguement here and get me riled up?,.. well here's the best that I can do for ya. Anger, about to ensue....just letting you know.

[For the few who were truely attempting to help or being helpful..... Thanks. smile Not everyone here is going to meet the criterion that I will subsequently speak after this set of colons to follow. smile ]::::::

Den, It seems that the *real* "know-it-alls" here (cause you know a website that says your a "veteran" *must* inevitably mean that you are a *true* expert" {tongue-in-cheek} ) are so stuck on using the CPU as an "outbox" of the keyboard and If a visitor-to-this-thread's circumstance can't fit that typical set-up, then you can't think critically about the matter and find another way. And if anyone knows digital music in the technical age, there are *many* ways to skin-that-cat, as it were. But, since you Clearly read all the comments in their Full entirety, I guess I don't need to tell you that that was the point of my questions. Sincerely, Amy

Note to any Newcomers to this website. Beware... You're NOT necesarily getting experts on this website if that's what you're looking for; nor always and evidently so, actual readers; and from the looks of it,.... nor any extremely great deal of ppl who truely want to help, it seems. You are getting a lot of guys who want to show off for you. That does not an "expert" make. I'll stick to the more seasoned customer support techs at Sweetwater, from now on. At least I know they are vetted properly before they get their jobs, or a shot at my question.

Take Care.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/22/13 02:48 PM
Hmmmm...

I'll stick with the technical experts on this forum. I continue to find the support and technical knowledge here to be of extremely high standard. People work tirelessly to support and resolve others problems. Thanks to everyone who contributes and shares their outstanding knowledge with others. And of course, good luck with the customer support at Sweetwater, Amy.

VideoTrack

Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/22/13 03:40 PM
Note to any Newcomers to this website. Beware... You're NOT necesarily getting experts on this website if that's what you're looking for; nor always and evidently so, actual readers; and from the looks of it,.... nor any extremely great deal of ppl who truely want to help, it seems. You are getting a lot of guys who want to show off for you. That does not an "expert" make.

Take Care.

Wow. All I can say Amy is yes the people at Sweetwater know what they're doing. But, after they've got you sorted out, come back to this thread and compare what they told you to what we've told you here.

Bob
Posted By: den_spain Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/22/13 03:41 PM
....and there you have it....wonderful....
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/22/13 03:45 PM
And, Amy we're trying to do it keeping in mind you said the church is on very limited budget. Sweetwater is perfectly capable of setting you up just great but no way will you like the cost.

Bob
Posted By: amynelson Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/22/13 04:15 PM
Someone at Sweetwater stated that this works, but truely, it's only based on having a keyboard with a sound engine and a few cords.

This is a quote from earlier in the conversation, where I mentioned my speaking with SWS already.....and their response. smh
I can honestly say that I was wrong to keep the conversation going, at all. Wearily, Bye.

Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Casio Privia PX-130 compatibility - 05/22/13 06:14 PM
Amy,

This will be my last post in this thread for whatever that is worth to you.

Your comments that 'experts' here don't know what they are talking about is entirely unfounded.

Your claims about what Sweetwater experts told you is very hard to believe taken on technical claims to begin with.

Sweetwater Music is likely the best source of over-the-phone assistance as it pertains to music gear recommendation and sales. However, what they tell you and what we 'experts' type here is only as good as the information you provided. If you provide them misinformation, then they will respond in-kind. As does any expert. When they question a claim that you make, you will have to eat humble pie and admit you don't know with certainty about the capabilities.

You have shown time and again through this thread that you have misunderstandings about the various technology aspects for which you have questions and claims of expertise of those not in this typed thread; whether it is the electrical engineer that you referred to or the Sweetwater salesperson which you referred to.

Your misunderstandings and outright claims that others from off of this forum back up your misunderstandings have centered on the following - at least these are those that I can recall:

1. The USB capability of the PX-130 as being bi-direction with both MIDI and Audio, when in fact it is MIDI only, and for that matter, appears to be uni-directional MIDI.

2. Your idea that the audio passes via MIDI (this was way back when you talked about the keyboard 'grabbing' VSTi sounds, and further confirmed with your misunderstanding of what a digital snake would do for your church's situation).

3. The preconception that a digital audio snake will solve your issues - which it will not - it will not pass audio back to the PX-130, but only back to an outlet on the snake, to be used by some digital to audio conversion.

4. Balanced audio as being the technology present in any audio connection with a TRS type connector on a plug.

All of this stated, I was truly trying to help you out. Some of that helping out is pointing out clear contradictions of your claims and results which come from advising on the claims. I never claimed expertise. I do have decades of experience with audio and MIDI as well as a cheapskate approach to getting the maximum value out of any level of gear that I'm presented with.

As jazzmammal pointed out, it is difficult to read body language through the internet or through any asynchronous communication.

I am through with helping you here. You can send me a PM and I can provide you with the name of the salesperson that I have used at Sweetwater music since 1993. His tenure goes back longer than that.

Here is what you will have to be prepared for in dealing with Sweetwater or any other legitimate music and audio equipment sales company: You will have to stop claiming things that simply are not true, it will only exasperate them as it has done with several persons here - adding my name to the list. They can only help them if you let them and part of that is stating in the most clear terms the gear involved so far, and your desired future state. Then get out of the way. Put the hypothetical arguments aside. When you claim that a manual states one thing, when it is basically the opposite - don't expect to get informed answers. I took the time to go download the specific Privia manual and pointed out your absolutely wrong claim of what the capabilities were. Don't expect the Sweetwater folks to be as extravagant with their time. If you tell them that the USB on a piece of gear is both Audio and MIDI - they have no reason to argue with you and they will end up selling you something that doesn't work as a result.

I was hoping to help you avoid that. Hours were spent trying to clearly understand your situation and desired end goal and typing out thoughtful, and informed answers without getting into the name calling.

As you go forward with Sweetwater, keep these FACTS in mind:

1. The USB capability of the Privia PX-130 is MIDI only via USB. It has no DIN MIDI ports. This severely limits it's ability to communicate with dedicated hardware sound modules that only have DIN MIDI connections.
2. If you are unhappy with the sounds of the Privia PX-130, you will need some other sound generating device; whether it's a different keyboard, a PC functioning as a sound module, a hardware sound module that can communicate MIDI over USB, etc. You will not get any other audio directly out of the Privia PX-130. Period. That said, I think some of it's sounds are perfectly fine - but you've not stated what is wrong with the sounds of the keyboard, other than you don't think the headphone output will be sufficient to deliver a quality sound.
3. Digital audio snakes will not feed the PX-130 with the swapped out sound. Period.
4. If you insist that a piece of gear has a certain capability that it doesn't have, you will get the wrong answer for what to connect to it, replace it, etc.

Best wishes.
© PG Music Forums