PG Music Home
Posted By: joden Is there a way... (VSTi q) - 07/26/13 08:16 PM
To be able to actually play a VSTi before one starts the playback?

There are a few songs I want to do with a rubato or ad lib solo piano intro/verse prior to starting the "band", but so far I cannot find the way to accomplish this.
Posted By: seeker Re: Is there a way... (VSTi q) - 07/26/13 09:02 PM
Just an idea no $$ costs.

First making assumption you are playing the "Band" from BIAB.
Do pre-start then on sound immediately hit PAUSE. Seems as tho
from Second measure on the spacebar does instant start.

You could possibly insert 1 bar with only starting count.
Then the the PAUSE/spacebar would be real starting point
after you play your intro.

Spacebar on the 1rst measure start seems to work, but not instantly.
Posted By: joden Re: Is there a way... (VSTi q) - 07/26/13 10:27 PM
Thanks Seeker.

I had already tried the pause thing...too tight to get the timing right without a "sound stab" and in any case it just adds a physical task to the start of a tune.

I am also experimenting with freezing all parts, no count-in and trying just the space bar..

I guess it boils down to the VST host in BIAB not being a "true" host. It is interesting to note that once a song is actually started and then either stopped or paused, one can freely play the VSTi assigned, but this does not happen BEFORE the song is started.
Posted By: rharv Re: Is there a way... (VSTi q) - 07/26/13 11:55 PM
Maybe it's time to move the project to RB(?)
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Is there a way... (VSTi q) - 07/27/13 04:02 AM
Hi Joden, I'm no expert here but, how about if you create an intro with whatever amount of bars you need for your rubato and then mute all the instruments in the intro bars while you play the ad-lib or rubato, then un-mute all the instruments from there on?
Just a thought.

Mike B.
Posted By: joden Re: Is there a way... (VSTi q) - 07/27/13 04:34 AM
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi Joden, I'm no expert here but, how about if you create an intro with whatever amount of bars you need for your rubato and then mute all the instruments in the intro bars while you play the ad-lib or rubato, then un-mute all the instruments from there on?
Just a thought.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike - may have to do that smile although some of the parts are up to 32 bars long, but the principle is the same..the only hitch is keeping the timing spot-on over that many bars so that I can come in tight when BIAB starts. Yeah I know I can use the metronome, but that sorta kinda takes away the "ambience" if you get my meaning.

Dennis
Posted By: joden Re: Is there a way... (VSTi q) - 07/28/13 09:01 PM
I have decided to ditch BIAB for live play totally. I will convert all the songs over to MP3's and run them via a dedicated VST Hosting program (it also plays media files that can be saved alongside all needed VST's) . Solves the issue nicely, although not preferred. When PG get the VSTi hosting more in line with how standard hosts work, I might re-visit using it live again.

Thanks to those who gave some input smile

Cheers
© PG Music Forums