PG Music Home
Posted By: stratavinsky setting up a midi controller - 12/22/08 11:59 PM
Where can I find some information on how to set up my MIDI controller? I Have a M-audio "ProjectMix I/O" and would love to use its faders and knobs to control bb track volume, verb, and chorus. Any suggestions?
-stratavinsky
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: setting up a midi controller - 12/23/08 08:47 AM
AFAIK the only controller that works with Biab is the Frontier Tranzport and I don't know if that allows the type of control you're looking for. You can set up a keyboard controller to work with the Conductor feature but that doesn't control track volume or anything like that. The conductor lets you jump from one section of your song to another, loop, start/stop and related stuff.

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: setting up a midi controller - 12/23/08 03:11 PM
I agree with Bob.

BIAB is not programmed to respond to the common MIDI commands for Transport control (Play, Stop, etc.) nor for Vol or Pan commands.

This is something that has appeared on the BIAB wishlist consistently, suggest you add your wish there, for we might get attention about it in numbers as time goes by.

--Mac
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: setting up a midi controller - 12/23/08 11:07 PM
Good point. We'll work on that .
Posted By: Mac Re: setting up a midi controller - 12/24/08 12:11 AM
Quote:

Good point. We'll work on that .

YAS, oh YAS, please!

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: setting up a midi controller - 12/24/08 04:39 PM
Most newer keyboard controllers have a whole slew of sliders, knobs and buttons to control music software. If I could use my Evolution controller to change those parameters live, that would be way cool. All the new features especially the Real stuff has taken Biab to a whole new level and really represents a new cutting edge in music making. However, to not have the ability to access those parameters when virtually every other music software does, makes Biab seem like an antique. You've allowed us to happily ignore that Peter, because the new stuff is so awesome but how great would it be if you could upgrade some of that basic functionality?

Bob
Posted By: Sean Chang Re: setting up a midi controller - 03/24/09 06:18 PM
Now that we have Peter’s attention on this, here is what I found working rather nicely for me in the mean time.

Conductor feature allows you to control live performance through either computer keyboard or MIDI controller.
Currently, BiaB does not respond to MIDI CC messages. Only to MIDI Note messages such as F4 for Play or F#4 for Stop.
With that knowledge, I bought M-Audio Axiom 61 and put tapes on all over the keys that tell me which key is for Play, Stop or Jump to sections.

Only last week, I found that you can actually program Axiom 61 with Enigma v1.2 software so that certain buttons and pads send MIDI note messages. Here is what you do.

When you start Enigma (you can download it from http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.drivers&f=768), it shows the picture of my Axiom 61. I can assign MIDI note messages to transport buttons, push buttons and pads. I cannot do that to sliders and rotary buttons because they insist upon sending only CC messages.

1. Click one of 6 transport buttons, 9 push buttons and 8 pads. A window opens for that button or pad.
2. Enter 147 to “MIDI CC”. The windows changes so that you can now enter “On Velocity”, “Off Velocity” and “Note”.
3. Enter 127 in “On Velocity”.
4. Enter 0 in “Off Velocity”.
5. Enter MIDI note number on “Note”.

For example, F4 is Play and F#4 is Stop according to Conductor window->Show MIDI notes…. However, you can’t just put F4 in “Note” field. You have to enter MIDI note number for F4. You can find these MIDI number from http://www.harmony-central.com/MIDI/Doc/table2.html. In that table, you see MIDI note number for F4 is 65. So you enter 65 on “Note” field.

After you program all the buttons and pads you want (you can have 20 different settings), upload the setting to Axiom 61 by hitting upload button in Enigma. This will cause Enigma to upload all 20 available settings to Axiom 61.
Next thing you need to do is to select which setting to use out of 20 settings. You can do that with numeric key pads on the top left, right above “transpose” button.

For example, if you programmed BiaB setting on slot 1, then you hit 1 on the numeric key pads (well, I programmed only one setting in slot 1 because I only use BiaB). This action will load BiaB settings you programmed into the active memory in the MIDI controller. After that, hitting those programmed buttons will send MIDI note number that BiaB understands.

Enjoy.
Posted By: Wim Van Aelst Re: setting up a midi controller - 05/02/16 01:05 PM
Dear,

Can we already control the different volume parts of biab with a simple controller like the Arturia minilab for example ?

thanks
Wim
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: setting up a midi controller - 05/02/16 05:13 PM
Welcome to the forum.

This is an old thread, but to my knowledge, there has been no change. I have put requests in the Wishlist Forum on this site, as have others. My current hope is for BIAB to adopt the Mackie Control Surface protocol. I have a Behringer X-Touch, a reasonably-priced control surface. I'm not familiar with the Arturia Minilab; I'll check that out.
© PG Music Forums