PG Music Home
Posted By: RedFooDog Coyote Forte DXi - 12/05/13 10:33 PM
Just installed BIAB 2014 on a clean SSD. Forte was installed and activated in the 2013 BIAB which is on another now removed drive. Forte DXi appears in the midi/audio setup options window and also in the DXi synth settings window. Do I need to reactivate it or otherwise install anything or has BIAB 2014 automatically found it and set it up?
Posted By: Mac Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 12/05/13 11:03 PM
Forte DXi installs to the System on the system drive such that it is always there to be used by any program that can access DXi plugins.

If you have the Use DXi checked inside the Options->MIDI/Audio... window in that copy of BB, and if the Forte synth is selected, it should play just as always.

Watch out for those Foo Fighters up there, and CheckSix,

--Mac
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 12/05/13 11:53 PM
It's possible that you will need to paste in your activation code after the 30 day demo period. This is a separate Forte code, not the Biab one. That happened to me when I changed computers two years ago. Of course I couldn't find it (I had written it down and put it "somewhere") so I called Support and they emailed it to me right away.

Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 12/06/13 12:30 AM
Good catch, Bob.

Yes, starting over from scratch with new SSD for System, if you didn't mirror the system to the SSD, you likely will have to install Forte DXi and authorize again.

But if you successfully mirrored the original drive, it should just work authorized as before.

--Mac
Posted By: Mac Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 12/06/13 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: RedFooDog
Just installed BIAB 2014 on a clean SSD.

Ouch.

Band in a Box does a lot of writing to disk, SSD drives don't really like that, the amount of writes is limited as compared to a spinning disk drive.

Of course, the SSD mfrs are improving that all the time, so check your specs carefully.
Posted By: RedFooDog Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 12/06/13 01:41 AM
Thanks everyone. I'll remove and reinstall it.

While on the subject: Coyote Electronics shows Forte version number 1.3. Control panel shows my Forte as version number 1.6. Any idea what the current version is and is Forte an updateable? program or do you need to buy a more current version if available?
Posted By: jonel Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 07:45 AM
Hi All,
I have been following this thread because I wanted to use CoyoteWT in Sonar. I was not aware that Coyote Forte was installed with BIAB (not on my machine) or is Coyote Forte and CoyoteWT the same? When I added it from the DXi list I got the message that it 'Failed to insert the soft synth. It may not be properly installed'.
I assumed that this was because it was only registered for used with BIAB. The synth works fine in BIAB. Then I realised that I was using Sonar X3 x64 whereas BIAB is only 32 bit. When I used X3 x32 there was no problem.

My question is this: Since Coyote is only 32 bit, is there a 64 bit VST version (or equivalent)?

I am aware of the criticisms of this synth with regard to quality of sound, but it is a really valuable synth because of it's multi timbral capability and so I can get a midi file up and running for audition within Sonar or Ableton without having to insert lots of different instruments (much in the same way that RealBand routes all channels to the default VST)

Thanks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 08:33 AM
From earlier discussions, we understood that Forte DXi would be upgraded to 64 bit, bit this has not eventuated to my knowledge.

I also contacted the makers (Coyote Electronics) but never received a response.

There is more discussion here

PS: Interesting to see a thread from 2013 revived here.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 08:59 AM
Originally Posted By: jonel
Hi All,
I have been following this thread because I wanted to use CoyoteWT in Sonar. I was not aware that Coyote Forte was installed with BIAB (not on my machine) or is Coyote Forte and CoyoteWT the same? When I added it from the DXi list I got the message that it 'Failed to insert the soft synth. It may not be properly installed'.
I assumed that this was because it was only registered for used with BIAB. The synth works fine in BIAB. Then I realised that I was using Sonar X3 x64 whereas BIAB is only 32 bit. When I used X3 x32 there was no problem.

My question is this: Since Coyote is only 32 bit, is there a 64 bit VST version (or equivalent)?

I am aware of the criticisms of this synth with regard to quality of sound, but it is a really valuable synth because of it's multi timbral capability and so I can get a midi file up and running for audition within Sonar or Ableton without having to insert lots of different instruments (much in the same way that RealBand routes all channels to the default VST)

Thanks

You have Sonar so you have 64 bit GM in TTS-1. This comes with Sonar and is better than Coyote IMHO.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 09:46 AM
<< Coyote Forte has been converted into a GM sf2 which will load in the 64 synth which uses the sf2 formats. It can be available for the asking... >>

wink Where does one ask for this?

Asking for a friend. wink wink
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 10:31 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
However, some folks have found a workaround. Coyote Forte has been converted into a GM sf2 which will load in the 64 synth which uses the sf2 formats. It can be available for the asking...

Dan, some are asking for a friend smile however, my curious mind wants to know for me too grin grin
Do tell.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 10:46 AM
Hi All,---
I was not aware that Coyote Forte was installed with BIAB (not on my machine) - - -
Thanks

AFIAK its not. You BUY Forte ( or used to be able to) via our PG website for a few dollars. WT is the installed freebie.
For the little that I use midi I find Forte to be acceptable.
HTH
Ian
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 10:58 AM
Coyote Forte is a 32 bit sound module that you must purchase. The reason why you must purchase it is because Forte includes unique instrument patches.

Coyote WT is also 32 bit but it uses the standard Windows instrument patches.

Edit (Andrew - PG Music): there is also a 64-bit Coyote WT.

PG Music packages two midi sound modules with Band-in-a-Box (2019), the Coyote WT (64 bit and 32 bit), and 64 bit VST Synthfont 64. +++ HERE +++ is the blurb copied from the 2019 BiaB for Windows new features webpage.
Quote:
VSTSynthFont64 Included

The 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box® allows you to use the VSTSynthFont64 as the General MIDI (GM) synth. With the VSTSynthFont64, you can specify any GM soundfont or DLS files, including larger ones over 2 GB.

Also, Peter Gannon +++ RECOMMENDS +++ downloading the free daw, +++ Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) +++, to use the included 64 bit midi sound module, TTS-1.

+++ HERE +++ is a hyperlink to the Coyote Forte webpage. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the webpage you will notice the page was last updated September, 2006.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 11:02 AM
Ya, the sf2 file format of the Coyote Forte works great in 64 bit BIAB with the 64 bit VST Synthfont 64.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 11:08 AM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Ya, the sf2 file format of the Coyote Forte works great in 64 bit BIAB with the 64 bit VST Synthfont 64.
Unfortunately the SF2 file is likely a hack and therefore not available through the Coyote Electronics website to the general public.
Posted By: jford Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 11:20 AM
Coyote WT uses the internal MIDI sounds that comes with Windows (which I understand has its roots in a very old Roland General MIDI small sound library, hence the quality...or lack thereof...of the sounds).

Coyote Forte uses Giga format samples (I remember when Mac tried to substitute some of his Giga samples to get better sounds, but apparently there were some size limitations within the interface that prevented this from being successful...he was hoping that Forte could have been a nice Giga player). I suspect that SF2 version mentioned is merely the Giga format samples converted to SF2 format.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/10/19 12:00 PM
There are other GM sounds in the SF2 format that are excellent. Many are free. Google gm in sf2 format.
Posted By: jonel Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/11/19 05:40 AM
Hi Mario,
Yes,I do have TTS-1 but that I can't use this in Ableton (where I really wanted it). I was looking for a VST version and 64bit.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/11/19 06:46 AM
another vote for the TTS 1 - I have both that and the Forte dxi and the TTS 1 sounds better to my ears
Posted By: MarioD Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/11/19 11:24 AM
Hi Mario,
Yes,I do have TTS-1 but that I can't use this in Ableton (where I really wanted it). I was looking for a VST version and 64bit.

Google GM soundfont players and you will find some 64 bit players. There are a number of free soundfont GM sets available.

Good luck.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/11/19 11:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Calver
another vote for the TTS 1 - I have both that and the Forte dxi and the TTS 1 sounds better to my ears

TTS-1 is a DXi and Ableton along with some other DAWs to not accept DXi.
Posted By: jonel Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/11/19 11:35 AM
Hi Mario,
I understand, but that is why I was looking for a VST equivalent of this type of instrument. Really just for quick and dirty auditioning of midi files within the DAW. Since Ableton now only exists in x64 bit version then I need it to be x64bit if possible (to avoid jbridege)

John
Posted By: MarioD Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/11/19 01:17 PM
Hi Mario,
I understand, but that is why I was looking for a VST equivalent of this type of instrument. Really just for quick and dirty auditioning of midi files within the DAW. Since Ableton now only exists in x64 bit version then I need it to be x64bit if possible (to avoid jbridege)

John

For my occasional GM use I have an old Kawai GMega tone generator. I picked this up a few years ago for very little money. You might want to search Ebay and other places for a GM tone generator.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/11/19 03:44 PM
jonel,

PG Music included +++ Synthfont64 +++ for use with the 64 bit version of Band-in-a-Box. The version of the program PG Music provides has a built-in 16 channel midi player and automatically loads GM patches but that version only works correctly with Band-in-a-Box. However, the hyperlink points to both free and paid versions that are unlocked. Both require the user to manually load instrument patches.

Another program PG Music has used in the past is +++ Sforzando +++. When PG Music used the program it was available only in 32 bit but is now available in both 32 and 64 bit versions. The player is created and maintained by the same developers that created Rapture for Cakewalk Sonar. Again you must manually load instrument patches. The website linked above has a wealth of instrument patches to choose from.
Posted By: jford Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/12/19 12:12 AM
It's not free, but I like using Halion Sonic as my GM multi-timbral VST now.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/12/19 07:29 PM
my version of the TTS1 is the edirol hypercanvas which comes in both dxi and vst on my installation disc

maybe there is an option on the free download with cakewalk?

mind you its 32 bit............(I think!)
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/12/19 09:39 PM
Cakewalk by BandLab includes the 64 bit TTS-1 in the download and installation. +++ HERE +++ is Peter Gannon's recommendation.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/13/19 10:41 AM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Cakewalk by BandLab includes the 64 bit TTS-1 in the download and installation. +++ HERE +++ is Peter Gannon's recommendation.

Hi Jim,

TTS-1 is a DXi and Ableton along with some other DAWs to not accept DXi. John is looking for a GM VSTi to use in Ableton.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/13/19 03:02 PM
Hi Mario,

I went off track from the discussion and answered Bob Calver's post right above mine.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/13/19 04:45 PM
OK I see now. Sorry if this caused and confusion.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/13/19 06:10 PM
A couple of posts by Mac. Nice.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/13/19 07:05 PM
I've created a post in +++ Tips & Tricks +++ about how to use DX and DXI plug-ins in DAWs like Ableton Live that don't recognize those plug-ins.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/13/19 09:22 PM
Xpand!2 multi-timbrel midi sound module by Air Music Technology is on sale at PlugIn Boutique for $14.99 US.

+++ Xpand!2 +++

+++ PlugIn Boutique +++
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/13/19 11:26 PM
I like Xpand!2 but just a note to OTHERS, not you Jim you already know this: XPand!2 is NOT GM compliant, it is not a GM module. Although selecting XPand!2 patches, per BIAB part, is not orbital mechanics either.

Xpand!2 at $15 you get a lot of very good usable sounds - so it is a good deal but it might get even cheaper at Holidays (it was last few years).

Another AIR program that's on sale right now is Structure 2 - $29, that is also very good deal, at either Don't Crack or Plugin Boutique. It is has same AIR sounds/samples as Xpand!2 only more of them - 37 GB's. Again it is NOT GM and is not as straight forward to use as Xpand!2 but is is more complex and flexible than Xpand!2.

LATE EDIT by the DUMMY, ME!

Its the other way around XPAND!2, for use in BIAB is a LOT LESS intuitive than STRUCTURE

END EDIT

http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info.php?products_id=2552&osCsid=981a40bfa0f2af358624ff0bc2e98357

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/5-Sampler/1551-Structure-2

Larry

Yes you will go broke buying "deals" - happens every year

Posted By: beatmaster Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/14/19 07:23 AM
Xpand 2

How does it work in BIAB ,I just d/loaded the trial version do I put it as a plugin on the individual track in the mixer as I am getting no sound ?>
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/14/19 09:01 AM
Originally Posted By: jford
It's not free, but I like using Halion Sonic as my GM multi-timbral VST now.

Not intending to hijack the thread, but John, how do you find Halion Sonic, say on a scale out of 10? I am exploring it also - with an intention to possibly invest.
Posted By: jford Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/15/19 12:00 PM
Hi, Trevor,

I find it on par with Coyote Forte or the TTS-1, and some of the sounds even better. I actually own the full Halion 6, and you get Halion Sonic with it (as a sort of light weight Halion for when you are just trying things out). But of course, you can buy Halion Sonic separately, as well.

I know there are a few other Halion Sonic users here as well, so hopefully they'll also chime in.

I have the Steinberg eLicenser (dongle) so I can install and use it on multiple computers, so I don't know if you can also do software authentication/authorization on a single computer. Someoneelse can answer that.

When you use it, you have to open the interface and set it to GM mode for it to work seamlessly in BIAB, but it seems to remember that setting from session to session. I did find a couple of basses playing an octave too low, but that's easily fixed in BIAB.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/15/19 03:22 PM
+++ HERE +++ an even better deal on Xpand!2.

$9.99 US at JRRShop.com with $1.60 discount if you use the coupon "GROUP" at checkout.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/15/19 07:01 PM
Excellent, John.
Thanks for going to so much detail. Appreciated.
Regards, Trevor
Posted By: jonel Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/16/19 07:22 AM
Thanks Jim, a lovely vst and well the price. However, I only get those lovely sounds when I use it with Ableton (which is OK because that is mainly where I will use it) but no sound when used in Sonar X3 or RealBand which I thought was odd.

The manual does not mention this though.

Jonel
Posted By: jford Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/16/19 12:27 PM
In another thread, DeaconBlues posted this regarding getting sound from the XPand!2 VSTi:

"Had this same issue which frustrated me to no end until I finally figured it out.

Basically, you need to open the drop-down list immediately above where the VST displays.

Change "MIDI channel: all" to "Forced: Channel 1."

P.S. I'm writing this from my mobile while traveling on vacation with my wife, so unfortunately I cannot attach a screenshot. :-(

Maybe one of the other wonderful folks here can attach one in case my directions weren't clear?

Hope this helps!"
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/16/19 07:50 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
Basically, you need to open the drop-down list immediately above where the VST displays.

Change "MIDI channel: all" to "Forced: Channel 1."

This?

Attached picture 2019-10-17_09-48-14.jpg
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Coyote Forte DXi - 10/16/19 08:59 PM
Well,

With help from reading this thread and direction through a private message with Larry Kehl I was able to get Xpand!2 to work with Band-in-a-Box.

Description: Installing Xpand!2 VSTi to Melody track & Forced MIDI Chan = 1 Selected Les Paul guitar preset in channel A
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg

Description: Mixer shows VSTi loaded.
Attached picture Clipboard02.jpg
© PG Music Forums