PG Music Home
Posted By: tributeman sound card - 04/13/14 06:12 PM
Hi All,My son has just upgraded my PC from XP to Wndows7 Ultimate as Microsoft will no longer be covering any of its security essentials.. but now I have to get a new sound card as my old sound blaster platinum live card no longer works.I would appreciate any advice on the next sound card I should get.cheers Frankie
Posted By: MikeK Re: sound card - 04/13/14 10:52 PM
WOW... you'll get about 50 different choices on that question. LOL!

I recently bought this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akai-professional-eie-pro-24-bit-audio-midi-interface-with-usb-hub

It's even compatible with Win 8.1 64 bit. So, Win 7 should not be an issue either.

Good luck laugh
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: sound card - 04/13/14 11:37 PM
Mike, that's a really good bargain on that, with the free headphones if you order in the next two days.

Tributeman, it's been many years since I used a SoundBlaster card, but I think there may still be a way to use it. Someone else will know better, but there are third-party drivers that are supposed to be good and may work with newer versions of Windows. I think the name was KVR?
Posted By: rharv Re: sound card - 04/14/14 12:33 AM
I think it's the 'kx' drivers that some have had success with (KVR is a site with lots of VST links).

http://afsawaf.blogspot.com/2014/01/creative-sound-blaster-live-51-driver.html

That would be a starting point, although I've also heard of people having success using the SBLive in Win7 using the XP 64 bit drivers package from Creative. This driver only uses 2 gig of RAM, from what I can recall, but if it is an XP machine that upgraded the OS only, it may work.
http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx

If it was me I'd switch to a used m-audio 1010 or 1010lt (since the board likely supports PCI still).
Better convertor stability, driver stability and support, etc.
Just my thoughts.
Posted By: MikeK Re: sound card - 04/14/14 02:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Mike, that's a really good bargain on that, with the free headphones if you order in the next two days.

Indeed, Matt. And I'm really happy with the quality this little interface produces.
Posted By: tributeman Re: sound card - 04/14/14 11:47 AM
Hi Everyone,thanks for your input..my son did try the KX drivers but just didnt work.Ive got sound now using the onboard one but will get my son to look at the other advice youve given eg 64bit xp drivers.. if not then its a new one might look at the M-audio 1010 or the Audigy se pci which Ive also been told though its cheap in price those who use it seem quite satisfied with the sound
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: sound card - 04/14/14 11:53 AM
Bummer... I ran into that very thing many years back when I needed to upgrade my OS for the business software on it. After the upgrade the sound card for my studio no longer worked. A call to the manufacturer later informed me that they were not providing the driver upgrade to the newest OS..... so there I was, without a functional studio. I was out of the home recording thing for a few years as a result. I did my homework the second time before I bought new gear.

So.....

The name brand doesn't matter.... that's up to you.

However, you do want to look for these features:

Connects via USB port
Has minimum of 2 inputs and 2 outputs (most do)
Has 1/4" and XLR inputs (high & low impedance inputs)
Uses NATIVE ASIO drivers (not codecs and asio wrappers)
Has phantom power for condenser mics
Has built in audio pre-amps on the inputs.

With those 6 features in your "must have" list, you can't go wrong.

Roland, Focusrite, Presonus, M-Audio and a bunch of others tend to meet those requirements. There are a number of interfaces that, while they work OK, are "less better" than others, so do your homework before you lay the money down or be sure there is at least a 30day no-fault return policy.

With the external USB interfaces, you have the option to move that interface to other computers as you upgrade the computer. My Focusrite Saffire ( firewire connected) has migrated from the laptop I started with to the custom built machine I use in my studio now.
Posted By: Takamine Re: sound card - 04/15/14 03:10 AM
Great advice on this. I went with the Presonus and have been very satisfied. My decision was based on the quality of the unit as well as the included software. (Which may or may not be of interest to you.)
© PG Music Forums