PG Music Home
Posted By: Jimmylh Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/19/14 04:34 PM
When ever I try to export a song as an mp3, it comes up with an error about the drivers cannot perform the conversion. This happens in both BIAB and Real Band. I can export as m4a's with no problem. Any ideas why? I have the BIAB 2014 audiophile edition. I don't use it with the usb drive plugged in. I'm running an Alienware pc with Win 7.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/19/14 04:58 PM
I use another program to convert my .WAV files to .MP3, so someone who does use BIAB to make an .MP3 may know better...

It is my understanding that creation of an .MP3 is a Windows issue, not a BIAB one; a codec is required. The LAME encoder, free and available through the Internet in several forms, is one way to do this. Once installed, it should be accessible from BIAB. If this is not correct, someone please advise.
Posted By: soolan Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/19/14 06:54 PM
Try using FREEMAKE Audio Converter(s) -- it's free www.freemake.com
Posted By: rharv Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/20/14 01:34 AM
That is correct; once Lame is installed 'on the operating system' it is available. However it is becoming harder and harder to accomplish this as Windows marches on.

Many times installing a third party app is a simpler solution than attempting to get the actual Lame download installed on the OS.

Your main point is valid though; as long as there is a windows mp3 codec installed BiaB and RB and PT can use it. But it has to be installed on the OS so windows sees it.

There are MediaPlayer hacks out there, and other codec packages that work, but keeping up with which is free and not a risk can become time consuming.

I bought the Fraunhofer codec and still have the install files, and also seem to be able to always find a way to get LAME installed, but for some users it isn't easy, and installing the codec in a round-about way (like by installing other software) is often easier. LAME is getting to the point where getting the actual LAME codec installed on the OS can be troublesome.

Some find using a (separate) third party app to make the conversion easier .. some find just installing said third party app makes the MP3 conversion possible in BiaB, RB and PT. Depends on the install method.
Posted By: Jimmylh Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/20/14 08:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. At least now I know it's not a BIAB problem. Sounds like getting drivers is more of a pain than it's worth to me. I have no problems with anything playing m4a's so it's no big deal. Thanks again.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/20/14 08:47 PM
Always export the project as a wave..... then convert it outside in an MP3/Wave editor.
Posted By: rharv Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/20/14 10:42 PM
Or convert to WMA, works well and always works.
Posted By: SILVERBACK Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/20/14 10:53 PM
I export my BIAB stuff as a .wav file; then take the .wav file into Audacity (free download - just Google it), where there are many mp3 conversion options to choose from...

Good luck!
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 06/20/14 11:14 PM
Audacity also uses the LAME MP3 encoder and a link to the encoder is available on the Audacity website.

HERE is a link for LAME and other plug-ins Audacity can use.
Posted By: rsmith2904 Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 12/21/14 05:16 PM
I just installed the Lame encoder and it says that the .SGU file is not recognized. I also have Audacity and it doesn't recognize the file. It seems to me that the .SGU file, which is native to BIAB is the issue.

The strange part of all of this is that I just converted my windows OS from XP to 7. In XP I could export as a .mp3 file all day, everyday but I cant do it at all on W7
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 12/21/14 06:39 PM
rsmith,

The SGU file format will only load into BIAB/RB. Once in these programs, a WAV file can be created. Lame will recognise that WAV file.

These days, I tend to use WMA as my preferred compressed file format. AS rharv said above, that always works. It's also the format the PG Music prefer for their Realtracks.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: Error exporting as an mp3 - 12/22/14 04:30 PM
You need an MP3 encoder correctly configured. In Windows XP, that used to work our of the box (but by default with poor bit rate). In 64bit Windows 7, it didn't work our of the box. By tweaking the registry and correctly register the Fraunhofer Professional MP3 encoder, it now works like a charm for me.

See http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276026#Post276026 for information on how to register the encoder.

Good luck!

/Björn
© PG Music Forums