PG Music Home
Posted By: receder BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/20/14 03:51 PM
I was trying to save a song I was creating as an mp3 when I found that it would create the intermediate WAV file but not the Mp3.

You get a yellow message box stating that the mp3 is being created and then the "select a format" box pops up.
I get 2 choices of encoder:
- MPEG Layer-3
- Lame MP3
and each one then has a choice of attributes (bitrate etc).

No matter which encoder or bitrate I choose the MP3 file is created but it is zero bytes length. You also get the following dialog box:

I can successfully create an MP3 from the WAV file that is produced using Audacity but it would be handy if this feature worked within the program.

I get the same results with some of the built-in demo songs.

Anyone else getting this?

Thanks
Posted By: musiclover Re: BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/20/14 04:26 PM
Hello Receder,

I have tried exporting as mp3 from the file menu and seems to work ok, got latest build of biab 2015. I do have Lame installed as well but this is what came up in dialog box.

Size is 7mb

Musiclover

Attached picture mp3test.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/20/14 05:26 PM
If I remember another thread on this subject correctly, one must already have an MP3 codec on the computer for BIAB to be able to make an MP3 from within the program. The LAME encoder is one such codec commonly used, and it's free. In other words, BIAB does not actually make an MP3; it just makes it easier now to invoke a program that does.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful; I don't render in BIAB because I have a hardware MIDI synth. I also do all audio editing including conversions from my audio editor, Adobe Audition, which is similar in function to Audacity.
Posted By: receder Re: BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/20/14 06:09 PM
Thanks musiclover and matt,

I should have made it clear that I also get the dialog box that you get (was trying to save on posting lots of graphics in my post). It's after that I get the blank dialog box. I also have lame MP3 encoder installed which I use with Sonar x3.

Having said that Lame usually requires copying the dll to a specific folder for whichever program needs it. So maybe I need to copy it to the bb folder. I'll give that a go.

Rec
Posted By: Noel96 Re: BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/20/14 06:56 PM
Receder,

As an experiment, try saving as wma and see if that works. The wma audio compression format produces files around the same size as mp3s. I personally prefer wma because I think it sounds better. It's also the format that PG Music favour for their Realtrack and Realdrums.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: receder Re: BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/20/14 08:28 PM
Thanks Noel,

I will give wma a try, thanks for the suggestion.

I did actually have a quick peek in the BIAB manual (shock horror) and its says that for mp3 encoding it will use whichever encoder you have installed so that confirms what Matt said.

Thanks all respondees,
Rec
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/22/14 04:34 PM
Similar issues are discussed in this thread, with a solution that worked for me at least:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=276026#Post276026

/Björn
Posted By: receder Re: BIAB 2015 MP3 Encoding not working? - 12/22/14 05:21 PM
Bjorn, thanks for the information and link.

Rec
© PG Music Forums