PG Music Home
Posted By: Saber Adding instruments to non-BIAB imported songs. - 01/14/15 10:22 AM
Another newby here. Let's say you import a non-BIAB song like a piano solo. Can you add other instruments like violins or whatever to it and will it automatically match the song if you can? Thanks.

I'm using 2015.

Just trying to figure this stuff out and need a little help.

- Saber
Welcome.
If it's a WAV file, you could run it through the Auto Chord Wizard, it would determine the chords and tempo and allow you to transfer it to BIAB where you could select a style and add other parts. I've done that before with varied success.

Good luck
By "import a non-BIAB song", do you mean a MIDI file? Is it a single line melody or is it chordal?

If it is single line, then if you want other instruments to play with it, you would need to know the chord progression, then you could pick a style and the other band instruments will play an arrangement along with the melody. If it is chordal, BIAB will analyze the MIDI file and try to figure out the chord progression (but it doesn't always get this right, so you need to check it out and make appropriate corrections). If you simply wish to double the melody on another track (not sure what you meant by "match the song"), you can copy it from the melody to the soloist track and select a different instrument. Also, as long as you have the chord progression entered, you can also use the harmonist feature to create harmonies based on the melody.

Please provide more detailed information so we understand exactly what you are trying to accomplish.
YES... it's possible.

As was mentioned... using the Chord Wizard function in BB... sometimes this works well, and other times..... not so much.

The important thing is to get that first 2 measure count in set properly so it syncs once it's sent to BB.

It generally takes me a few tries to get it right when I use the ACW.

It really, really helps if you know:

1. the actual BPM of the track AND it's recorded on the full number beat.... such as 95BPM as opposed to 95.7BPM.

2. The point where the beat occurs so you can line it up exactly to the beat in BB.

Is it easy to do? Well, I think if I used it all the time it would become easier. I have a few songs that I created the backing tracks for and all I had was a vocal track..... but again, I knew the BPM and that made it relatively easy to do.

These 2 songs were done that way:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12638204 In A World Without You

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11903190 I Know You're Up To It.

Both were simply vocal tracks.... I did what you are asking about and used BB to make the music behind the vox.
© PG Music Forums