PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer jBridge freezes BiaB when using 64 bit VST - 02/02/15 12:53 PM
I have been trying unsuccessfully to test my 64 bit VSTs (most of which are in Cakewalk's Sonar X3). They do work and sound good when set up but when I go to a different track (say drums then go to guitar), the dialog box for the plugins freezes. It eventually gives me this message:

Dispatcher opcode 15 failed (PX-64 Percussion Strip/1129803891).

The plugin dialog box shows jBridge is there and working. I have looked at the settings for jBridge in that dialog box and it mentions a problem with opcode 19 and to check the checkbox if that is a problem in the VST. (I am guessing at what all those settings mean anyway.)

If I keep messing around with the dialog box, eventually the whole BiaB program crashes to desktop but is still running as a background process. I then have to restart the computer to clear out the memory.

My system is home built Gigabyte GA-X58A mobo, i7 processor, 12 gigs of RAM, 3 internal HDs and two external HDs running on Windows 7 Professional. Sound card is Onyx 1640 firewire and graphics card is GTX 470 Geforce PCIe card.

Has anyone experience this kind of problem or is it associated with the fact that Sonar VSTs should not be used in BiaB 2015?

Thanks,
Hi Rich, what VSTis are you trying to use?

I have Sonar and will try to duplicate the problem.

Note that I have had limited success with jBridge in BiaB but to be honest I quit trying to get things to work. Personally I prefer to work in Sonar than BiaB however about 99% of my songs start in BiaB.
I have only tried Channel Tool for the "Combo" channel and Percussion Strip for the "Drum" channel.

I guess maybe I should go to the jBridge site and ask this question as well.

Thanks for any help Mario, it is appreciated.
Rich both VSTs crashed BiaB here also. I surmise both are proprietary to Sonar.
Mario I was about to suggest the same thing - but tired the PX and Channel tools in Reaper and they work, so....

But I think I have run across a few that are SONAR only but right now not sure which ones

And as a reminder there are a some Sonar add-ins that are DX (strange since I thought they quit supporting DX a while ago) and if you installed 64 bit Sonar that's what you'll get: 64 bit DX plugins and JBridge doesn't work with DX just VST.

JBridge will work indirectly with DX/DXis if you put a mfx/dx/dxi wrapper around them (see the JBRdige site item 18)

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/jbridge-troubleshooting/

Also note that BIAB/RB does find all the DX/DXi items on your PC and lists them for you (if you want VST/VSTi -you have to hunt those down and add-in manually) but you don't know if they are 32 or 64 bit until you get the "cannot connect error."

Larry
That is what I thought. Thanks Larry. It would have been nice but I guess I will have to go back to exporting a .wav file and bringing it into Sonar X3 to do the mastering stuff. I guess jBridge is a not so usable purchase for me. (sigh)
To be fair

I DOUBT whether Cakewalk wanted most of those Producer/Platinum only "extra's" (supplied plug ins) to work anywhere BUT in Sonar - or they'd sell them separately.
Larry, is your version of Reaper 32 or 64 bit?
I've only installed the 32 bit (for now) so the 64 bit stuff gets "x64bridged" in Reaper.

RANT (MarioD this is not at you - this is just in general)

All this whining about needing 64 bit "stuff" I think is as much about "bragging rights" to show off the shiny new stuff as it is actual WORK NEED.

I still have as much, or maybe a hair more, 32 then 64 bit "stuff" - it's only been in last YEAR or so that I started accumulating 64 bit stuff and most was part of other products (e.g. Sonar) I yes I did BUY ST3 (exception proves the rule?)

Frankly some of the 32 bit stuff is BETTER IMHO (smaller footprint, faster, less obnoxious, easier to use - or still just better sounding (e.g., "VB3" VSTi the B3 organ module)

Having lots of pseudo dials, knobs, sliders, graphs, and slick interfaces don't make it WORK or sound any better - it might, it might not.

Rant off

Having said all that if there are actual use issues with JBridge (even if only a $10 app) then they should be corrected.

Finally, To confirm what I said in last post:

Just checked and the "Engineering FX Suite" install for Sonar Pro/Plat 2015 had this statement:

"Channel Tools, LP-64 Multiband, and LP-64 EQ are all included in this download. *Requires SONAR Professional or Platinum"

I'm sure they meant if you BUY Sonar Pro/Plat you get that suite - so the fact that ANY of them work outside of Sonar is gravy.

Larry
Thanks guys...

I appreciate the comments and ideas. I can understand Cakewalk's position on its VSTs and all. I was just trying the jBridge and I only have 64 bit VSTs from Cakewalk. It was just experimentation and you answered my questions well.

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply as this forum for some reason does not keep me logged in. I have been trying to respond for the past afternoon and evening and every time I long in and then go to this section of the forum, the forum logs me out and I can't reply. Seems strange but sometimes (like now) it works but most of the time it logs me out before I get to this topic.

Another mystery. shocked
I am also getting lots of problems

I often see this message:

"Jbridge 1.7b3, Failed to wait for auxhost initialization".

..then BIAB crashes "Band in a Box application has stopped working"

I have two VST track loaded the melody and the thru track, with NeoSoulKeys

Up until now if I load the program twice it seems to work.

With two VSTs loaded the program takes a long time to load (about 3 minutes) I have a reasonably fast system, core i7 2.6, 12 gig of RAM, SSD system disk.

I am also getting pops and crackles much more often, I have a Focusrite Liquid 56 and have upped the buffer size to 196 for BIAB.

Roll on 64bit rewrite.

Z
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

All this whining about needing 64 bit "stuff" I think is as much about "bragging rights" to show off the shiny new stuff as it is actual WORK NEED.

Rant off

Just discussing Larry smile

I have had Cubase for more than 20 years, on 32 bit systems. I ran lots of 32 VSTs. I was always encountering issues with sound breaking up. You can only get so far by freezing tracks. I switched to 64 bit (everything) and its like opening the window, everything just works. I can run full orchestras, heavy duty synths, what I need. My point is that its not about more buttons its about stability and room to breath. IMO

Nowadays I only have one (out of about forty) 32 bit VST left a NI Hammond called B3.

Z
Sonar's plugs haven't always been proprietary. If you've been a Sonar user for years, you might consider reinstalling an old version long enough to copy the plugs to a new location before you uninstall it.

I recently reinstalled Sonar 6 32&64 bit for exactly that reason. It still runs in compatibility mode, and its very stable.

Another thing I like about Sonar 6 is that its menu structure is a LOT like Real Band's, so there's a lot less of the dreaded "2 different DAWs" confusion.
Originally Posted By: ZeroZero
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl

Rant off

Just discussing Larry smile

I have had Cubase for more than 20 years, on 32 bit systems. I ran lots of 32 VSTs. I was always encountering issues with sound breaking up. You can only get so far by freezing tracks. I switched to 64 bit (everything) and its like opening the window, everything just works. I can run full orchestras, heavy duty synths, what I need. My point is that its not about more buttons its about stability and room to breath. IMO

Nowadays I only have one (out of about forty) 32 bit VST left a NI Hammond called B3.

Z

00, I am into similar issues. I could only complete two measures of a track at a time when in 32-bit. Than bounce to clips, Sonar's terminology to convert MIDI to Audio thus freeing up the Ram, then do another two measures. Not fun! With 64-bit I also can do a complete song with no problems.

Heavy MIDI users with excellent softsynth sound sources NEED 64 bit software and I think that is the dividing line between 32 and 64 bitters. If you use RTs or RTs with a couple of inexpensive softsynths like ST2 then 32 bits are fine. But for people like us 32 bit does not work.

The jBridge work around may work for some but not stable enough for me. I have had many crashes with it. I quit trying to use it because like I said previously I do most of my work in Sonar.

Funny that you should mention NIs B3. One of the few 32 bit softsynths is NI's B3II, the best Hammond B3 emulator ever IMO.

Quote:

00, I am into similar issues. I could only complete two measures of a track at a time when in 32-bit. Than bounce to clips, Sonar's terminology to convert MIDI to Audio thus freeing up the Ram, then do another two measures. Not fun! With 64-bit I also can do a complete song with no problems.

Heavy MIDI users with excellent softsynth sound sources NEED 64 bit software and I think that is the dividing line between 32 and 64 bitters. If you use RTs or RTs with a couple of inexpensive softsynths like ST2 then 32 bits are fine. But for people like us 32 bit does not work.

The jBridge work around may work for some but not stable enough for me. I have had many crashes with it. I quit trying to use it because like I said previously I do most of my work in Sonar.

Funny that you should mention NIs B3. One of the few 32 bit softsynths is NI's B3II, the best Hammond B3 emulator ever IMO.

Agreed its not a proper solution. I have only two copies of NeoSOulKeys loaded in a simple 8 bar loop. My buffer has been racked up to 256 (usually 64) and I am getting pops and clicks. NeoSoulKeys doesnt use samples and is not a heavyweight VST as far as I can guess.

There is no more room for sliding around back alleys with quick fixes that work a bit sometimes, its a rewrite that's needed in 64 bit. IMO. The program is a gem and I hate to see it rot on the vine.

Z
RE - B3's soft synths: this either proves the subjective nature of sound and music or, for the truly cynical, I guess it proves my stubbornness. I have GSi's VB3 AND NI's current offering Vintage Organs, (and others) I prefer the former to the latter. Full disclosure - I never had NI's B4 version, which I think is what you meant MarioD, so that one MIGHT or might not be better.

I am not alone in this either - at least as of a year ago (Nov '13)
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395972&start=15

As to rest of topic - I guess we'll "agree to disagree" again.

We all have different HW, PC's, work, and work flows. I GET that some folks, for whatever reason, have recording, playback and rendering issues using BIAB or RB. However, others do not (or very little). And NO it's not exclusively because I/we USE nothing but RT's.

I don't really use RT's. When you think about it, PG didn't even produce/distribute RT's until BIAB 2008 (RD's BIAB 2007) and even then the first year there wasn't a lot - so it's not like RT's have been the only reason BIAB runs.

Sure, I (we all) play around with RT's.

But, in general, I do my thing my way, which is essentially all MIDI, with a lot of help from BIAB styles & song progressions, using a LOT of synths (internal and yes external as well).

So I think I fall into that HEAVY MIDI user pile, I don't even use loops. And, so FAR I have NOT needed 64 bit, or I would have installed 64 bit Sonar before now. I sure as heck would not sit here and make work harder on myself last 4 years (all the longer I've had 64 bit PC) out of spite, just to await this discussion.

I only just installed 64 bit Sonar Platinum a few weeks ago because, well, that is going to be all there is shortly - 64 bit DAW SW, so I may as well get on with it.

Honestly though, I do not write movie soundtrack sized scores either. I do very K.I.S.S. songs: 4-5 tracks of blues, rock, and jazz - and one of those tracks is my guitar.

Finally, and this is just out of curiosity: what is a NOT inexpensive soft synth?

Dim Pro? ST 3? Garritan (and libs) Kontakt 5 (with NI and 3rd party hand picked add-ons like Session Horns, etc.)? Komplete Ultimate? SpectraSonics Omnisphere? what?

Larry
Intiersting to hear your work flow Larry. Of course I respect your perspective.
Yes Larry that was a typo as I should have typed B4II.

Larry we are using different work flows and sound sources with BiaB and I also respect your way of using BiaB. I will attempt to explain mine.

I consider GM sound sources (both soft or hard synths), soundfonts (SF2s), free VSTi's and purchased 32 bit or DXi softsynths as inexpensive ones. These include but not limited to Dim Pro, ST2 and all of it's add ons, and TTS-1. I will say that each of these have some good sounds but are not close to being a total package of good sounds. Plus I will add that I do use some of these sounds myself and in fact the TTS-1 is my normal template for MIDI in Sonar, however I replace virtually all of those patches with better ones.

Using external synths drastically cuts down on the cpu and ram, thus 32 bit is fine when using them. I wish that I could afford the external synths that I want!

The problem one will run into when using 32 bit BiaB/RB is when one uses something like Kontakt loaded with memory intensive patches. These patches would be velocity sensitive and loaded with various articulations. For example take Kontakt and load it with the morph choir and the Diamond Orchestra (using different patches for violins, cellos etc). Add Aria for an acoustic bass and SSD4 for drums and for the lead back to Kontakt for the Passion Flute. Now you will have memory problems and will need 64 bit. Note this is a typical workflow for my computer music.

This is not to say that you NEED these to make good music. You can make great music with just soundfonts or free VSTis. It is NOT the sound source it is the MUSICIAN that makes great music.
ZeroZero

JUST a quick thought - is the format of NeoSoulKeys you are running Kontakt? and if so are you running the NI player or the full version of NI Kontakt 5, or Reason, or are you using his UVI player?

AT least I think UVI is Gospel Musician's player? (G.M. is another site I think needs a web designer to "clean up" so you can find clear "to the point" descriptions of products and details, etc.)

Larry
© PG Music Forums