PG Music Home
Posted By: Ryszard Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 10:16 AM
Yeah.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 11:00 AM
Looks like we got a spammer in the house this morning...or last night....

Maybe the mods will jump on it post haste.

Almost 4 full pages.... man that musta took him some time... I'll bet the mods delete it in 1/10th the time it took him to post it.
Posted By: KeithS Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Almost 4 full pages.... man that musta took him some time...

Most likely posted by a bot while the culprit took a nap.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 12:57 PM
But why in heavens name are the spam messages getting multiple views???
Posted By: GHinCH Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 01:11 PM
I thought you need to open it to notify moderator, which I did,

I did see two of those posts and notified moderator. After I did the first one, there were three of it.

If you want to notify moderator you have to open it, click notify, and learn that somebody already has been faster.

A flag of some kind would be nice so one could see in the post list that mods have already been informed.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 04:22 PM
That's a good idea about the flag. Like you, I opened one and notified the moderator, to ensure it had been done.

I prefer the system used over on the Cakewalk (SONAR) forum. If three forum users flag a post, it gets removed for review. Nonsense doesn't last long. Of course, it still takes a moderator to block spam like today's when it comes in such huge volume.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 05:32 PM
Or a preventative measure such as Capcha.
Posted By: solidrock Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 05:50 PM
Yes I went to post something last night and saw them, 47 post I think there was in it's profile. Yes the first thing I thought was "Capcha" but unless it is happening more often it might be an inconvenience ?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/18/15 08:05 PM
Sure, I'll support a Capcha. Something to help.
Posted By: sixchannel Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/19/15 09:42 AM
Capcha doesnt work - at least not here - OR that PG dont mind or care. Look occasionally at the New Members list for instance - lots and lots and lots of Spam "Chinese Doctors" come on there on an almost daily basis with names like "frmszl297453" and so on. I have mentioned it to PG a few times but only got a "so what?" response.
Capcha is poor - PG need a much better way of killing Spam.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/19/15 11:10 AM
CAPCHA can be a problem. The spam-bots have figured out the easy ones and the ones they haven't cracked yet are ones that humans can't always read.

I saw the multiple spams, and saw that there were a lot of views already, so I figured the moderators were notified and I didn't join the party.

The moderators do a great job on this board, that doesn't happen often, and when it does, they get on it.

I've been on posts where you can't make posts quickly - usually a 15 to 30 second delay between posts. This would keep a spam flood to a minimum, but can also be an inconvenience for the legit posters.

Thank you to the moderators for cleaning up the mess.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: rharv Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/20/15 08:17 PM
Google imagetyperz

Then ask me again about captchas

I'd venture to say that removing the posts was probably more labor intensive than posting them. Bots do what they do with very little labor once launched. Moderators have to clean up after all of them.

It does take a bit of effort from PGMusic to keep the forum as nice as it is, and I commend them for this.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Anyone for Capcha? - 03/20/15 10:19 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
It does take a bit of effort from PGMusic to keep the forum as nice as it is, and I commend them for this.

+1 Agree 100%
© PG Music Forums