PG Music Home
Posted By: jemc More Ram ? - 03/24/15 07:28 PM
Would there be a benefit to upgrade my Ram from 8GB to 16GB?
I am Running version "2015 Audiophile" on a laptop; 7i Quad core.
Thanks; Je
Posted By: DrDan Re: More Ram ? - 03/24/15 08:24 PM
biab is a 32 bit application so no performance boost with more ram
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: More Ram ? - 03/24/15 09:54 PM
I just loaded a rather large song in BIAB 2015 and checked Task Manager for the amount of ram used as it was playing and it never went over 300 MB. So as far as adding 8 more gig of ram, it would be a total waste of money.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: More Ram ? - 03/24/15 10:54 PM
I think 8 GB RAM is plenty unless you are multitasking with several concurrent application programs all loaded. Unless you have a 64-bit version of Windows, you aren't even using more than 3.2 GB of RAM for your programs.

Yes, BIAB is a 32-bit application and as such, cannot take advantage of anything over 4 GB. However, if I understand the new JBridge available for BIAB 2015 only, there could be an advantage to having more RAM than that, since JBridge would allow you to access a 64-bit plugin and use that extra memory for the plugin. But this is pretty obscure for most of us. [You did ask if there was 'a' benefit, as in ANY benefits.] If it helps, I have 8GB RAM in my production machine, and 4 GB RAM in my spare, and have never 'run out' in either.

Posted By: jemc Re: More Ram ? - 03/26/15 09:50 PM
Very good.. Thanks so much....
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: More Ram ? - 03/26/15 10:44 PM
I agree with all of the above. 8GB of RAM is plenty.

One way of thinking about how much RAM might be used...

A typical audio CD is about 600MB has about an hour of stereo music and lasts 60 minutes.
That would the same as having 10 tracks that last 6 minutes each.
So if you had a really long song (6 minutes), that had 10 tracks (biab has 8 tracks) and they were all stereo, that would use 600MB in memory. This is because BiaB plays everything from memory (RAM) . So at most you would use 600MB of RAM. As mentioned the task manager will tell you how much ram biab is using, and you would look at it during playback.

( note: realband plays from disk so doesn't use as much memory)
© PG Music Forums