PG Music Home
Posted By: Hargisr newbie loves beatles - 05/28/15 12:13 PM
Hey Everyone,
First post. I bought BIAB for my 15yr old son who is very talented,Jazz guitar,sax,vocals,keyboards.We have been getting to know BIAB a little and tried to do our version of the Beatles "Let it be". The problem is that at the end of each verse the chord change on,before or after the beat.beat.I've used rests,pushes,split the chords up between bars etc.Everyone knows the song.Can someone tell me how to enter the chords the right way?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/28/15 05:23 PM
Welcome

When you say "The problem is that at the end of each verse the chord change on,before or after the beat.beat."

Do you mean the Beatles song does this? Or your BiaB song is doing this?

What style are you using? It is definitely a straight style (4/4)?

It's hard to imaging how the beat changes at different times for different verses.

In Chord Settings (right-click on the Chord or Alt-F5) there are pushes. Does your chord chart show 'caret' character before the chords (^C or ^^C)?

Give us a little more information and there will be someone who can help.
Posted By: MarioD Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/28/15 08:35 PM
Welcome to the forum Hargisr,

You must use an expanded style to put the chords in the proper place. You can not do it using the standard BiaB chord input theme. An expanded style is when two BiaB measures equal one actual measure. I am not an expert on this but Notes Norton is.

The easiest way to put Beatles' tunes into BiaB is to first buy The Beatles Fake Book,
http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles-Fake-Book-Edition/dp/0881887579

then buy the matching fake book disc from Note Norton's music:
http://www.nortonmusic.com/fake32.html

Every song on the disc matches the song in the book chord for chord. It is a great time savor and of course once you have it in BiaB then you can play around with it, if you want to that is, to your heart's content.

I have both as well as a couple of fake books and matching Norton disc and I love them. They save me a lot of time plus the chords are correctly inputted, not like old clumbsy finger here!
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/28/15 09:08 PM
Welcome to Biab and the Forum. There might be some web pages where you can download some songs made with Biab. There used to be a Yahoo Biab Group that had thousands of songs in Biab format. Hopefully, one of the other forum members may know if it still exists and attach a page link for it?

Thanks,

Trax
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/28/15 09:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
Welcome to Biab and the Forum. There might be some web pages where you can download some songs made with Biab. There used to be a Yahoo Biab Group that had thousands of songs in Biab format. Hopefully, one of the other forum members may know if it still exists and attach a page link for it? Thanks, Trax

++ Main Band-in-a-Box group page ++

++ Band-in-a-Box File Archive 1 ++

++ Band-in-a-Box File Archive 2 ++

You MUST be a member of the main group to gain access to the archive files![i][/i]
Posted By: Graham Martin Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/28/15 10:50 PM
There is a recurring bar (bars 4,8 & 12, etc.,) where the exact chords are not possible to enter. The chords shown in the music for these bars are F, C/E, Dm7, C, the problem being that C/E and Dm7 are only a half beat on beat two.

The easiest way around this is to ignore the Dm7 chord and simplify the bar down to F on beat one, C/E on beat two and C on beats three and four.

Note that in the Styles section, using the Search function, there are several suggestions for suitable Styles for "Let It Be" but you might have to mute some instruments at the beginning of the tune.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/29/15 08:38 AM
When using BB to do cover songs, just remember that there are some things BB won't do... or won't do easily.

One suggestion ...and I'm guessing you're talking about that piano walk down that consists of 9 chords/notes.

I don't know that this would work but it might.... you might want to expand the song to one big chorus for this....that's how I work on all my songs. Enter the chords....one to each measure. Make them all holds. Change the measure characteristics to have two beats per measure and change the tempo as needed to get the proper timing sequence needed to accurately play that part.

That's my only idea on how to do that at this time. Of course, that "Notes Norton" book might have it written out already in an easier to do format.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/29/15 07:17 PM
Thank you Jim !

Those are some great links for Biab songs. It's always interesting to see how another Biab user sets up their songs in Biab.

I appreciate you taking the time and posting the links.

Trax
Posted By: DrDan Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/29/15 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Graham Martin
There is a recurring bar (bars 4,8 & 12, etc.,) where the exact chords are not possible to enter. The chords shown in the music for these bars are F, C/E, Dm7, C, the problem being that C/E and Dm7 are only a half beat on beat two.

The easiest way around this is to ignore the Dm7 chord and simplify the bar down to F on beat one, C/E on beat two and C on beats three and four.

Here is how the "The Beatles Complete Score" indicated the turn around rhythm

Maybe too tricky for BIAB, but workarounds to get it close should be fine. Unless you are a perfectionist... crazy More important to get the cut time.
Posted By: jford Re: newbie loves beatles - 05/29/15 09:09 PM
I just checked Bob Norton's file for "Let It Be" that he created for the Beatles Fake Book and he used one of his "Expanded" styles to be able to get the two 8th note chord changes.

The style he used was: #BALLD5E.sty (the E indicating expanded).
© PG Music Forums