PG Music Home
Posted By: newbert BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/23/15 07:33 PM
I use a Kawai VPC1 MIDI Controller with both Pianoteq 5 and Garritan CFX Grand Piano. I use both virtual piano softwares in standalone mode right now via ASIO4ALL.

I'd like to install their VST versions into BIAB2014. Can someone spell out for me exactly how to do it?

Thanks!
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/23/15 08:13 PM
Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/24/15 10:27 AM
Thanks! That procedure got them installed.

However, I still have 2 issues:

1. I'm not getting the VST's sounds when playing my MIDI controller, and

2. There's a slight latency - enough to be annoying - which is not there when I play either Pianoteq or Garritan CFX in standalone mode.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try to resolve these two issues?

Thanks!
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/24/15 07:57 PM
LATENCY SUCCESS AT LAST!!!! : http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=244322#Post244322

Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/24/15 09:39 PM
Hi Solidrock.

Yeah - I checked that thread and found my previous success - but I can't seem to duplicate it!

I have all settings as shown in your screen capture and can load the VST's for PIanoteq and Garritan CFX (one at a time of course). However, I STILL only get BIAB soulds playing from my keyboard. Shouldn't I be getting the sounds generated by the VST?

One thought came to me -- I'm running Windows 7 64 bit OS. Should these VST's that I'm trying to use with BIAB2014 be the 64 bit versions or the 32 bit versions?

Thanks for your continued patience.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/24/15 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: newbert
Hi Solidrock.

One thought came to me -- I'm running Windows 7 64 bit OS. Should these VST's that I'm trying to use with BIAB2014 be the 64 bit versions or the 32 bit versions?

Your OS bit version has nothing to do with it. (only possible future issue for you might be if you try to run a 64 bit VSTi with 32 bit BIAB while NOT using JBridge and that is NOT THE ISSUE you are having)

When playing an external controller into BIAB the ONLY softsynth (VSTi) (aka instrument) you can trigger or play is the one set in the THRU channel (default ch 5)

Note, the NAME in the "thru" slot (in this case a Sax) doesn't want to change but the correct VSTi/DXi name (in this case SampleTank 2) is shown as is the instrument you select for that synth in channel 5 (in this case "Movie Strings" within SampleTank 2 ).

- sound is correct but visual in mixer may mislead

Larry

Attached picture Thursday, September 24, 2015 (3).jpg
Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/24/15 10:46 PM
Thanks Larry. I got confused with other software with regard to 32-bit vs 64-bit. Please ignore what I said about that. blush

I did as you said and loaded the VST into the Thru Channel and forced it to use MIDI Channel 5 (both in the BIAB Dialog Box and in the settings in the VST itself) and...no difference. I still get the sounds of one of BIAB's instruments instead of the VST's. frown

There's probably one little setting somewhere I'm missing. But I DID set BIAB back to Factory Defaults before starting this process, because I thought it best to start fresh.

Any other ideas for me to try?

Thanks!
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/24/15 11:21 PM
You can use the Standalone with BB, just set Standalone to VoiceMeeter Input and Biab to VoiceMeeter AUX Input:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=310436#Post310436
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 12:51 AM
Is this "BIAB sound" heard BEFORE you hit play (or record)? If it is:

Try hitting play let song start then see if you don’t hear selected Pianoteq or Garritan VSTi sound. If you truly have settings as Solidrock has shown then before play/record starts MIDI data coming in will be routed to the (as shown) to the "Microsoft GS wavetable Synth."

But once play is started data goes to the VSTi or DXi you have selected for either: channel 5 in the "Default Synth" VST Plugins pull down or the "Thru" part in same VST Plugins pull down
By the way - no need to force channel to 5 anywhere. It is defaulted in BIAB and it is the default channel set in the "Thru" part of the "VST Plugins" pull down.

If that is not what's going on and you have everything set as solidrock has shown, with your keyboard controller shown and selected in the "MIDI Input Driver" then I'm scratching my head right now also.

Solidrock has a solution - but I would shoot for using something simpler like LoopBe1 or 30 or MIDIYoke AND just route you keyboard directly to the VSTi you want using a one of these internal "software MIDI routing cable" programs and play along with BIAB.

good luck
Larry

Attached picture Thursday, September 24, 2015 (5).jpg
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 08:44 AM
It's funny someone just rang me wanting to do the same thing, long story short to get rid of the delay, instead of using the usb from the keyboard, we put a midi lead straight to the midi input of the ASIO Maudio FastTrack Midi In and just set the VSTi to EZKeys and was able to play and record without latency.
Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 10:31 AM
Well, just to clarify -- My goal is to just play along with BIAB. I don't care much about recording. However, ASIO4ALL doesn't allow both my standalone software pianos and BIAB to play at the same time. So, I thought that I'd try the VST plug-ins of these software pianos within BIAB.

So, that's what I've been trying to do.

As an option to trying to get the VSTs to work properly, if there's an easy way to have both BIAB and a standalone software piano to both be active and play at the same time, I'd appreciate having it explained (step-by-step) to me.

Thanks again for your patience with my ignorance on this.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 01:55 PM
Originally Posted By: newbert
... My goal is to just play along with BIAB. I don't care much about recording. However, ASIO4ALL doesn't allow both my standalone software pianos and BIAB to play at the same time. So, I thought that I'd try the VST plug-ins of these software pianos within BIAB.

1. my apologies I missed that (subtle) point - and yes using ASIO on two different audio apps at same time is a long standing "issue" for a lot of folks. SO I WOULD FOLLOW Solidrock's lead/suggestions in this area.

2. HOWEVER, that's still no reason not to be able to use Pianoteq or Garritan as a VSTi in the "playable" (thru) instrument slot within BIAB. So now it's just a challenge to figure out WHY it doesn't work for you (it does for me and others) - so you are right it's a setting we are missing within BIAB.
Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 05:08 PM
Thanks for the help, everyone.

I gave up on getting the VST's to work from within BIAB and instead tried both the Steinberg ASIO multi-client wrapper (which kept locking up my system) and the Voicemeeter per the link in Solidrock's suggestion. (Here)

Unfortunately, the download doesn't contain the GUI that's shown in that link. I downloaded the Voicemeeter driver, but it did not contain "Banana". I still changed my settings as best as I could figure out as recommended in the post in that thread - but that didn't work either. Once again only one software piano would work or only BIAB would work.

This is quite frustrating....I would think that PG Music would make the capability of getting VST software piano/keyboards to easily work within BIAB a priority. frown

If I can't play my DP along with BIAB, BIAB is pretty much of no use to me. <sigh>
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 05:11 PM
If you are running your digital piano through an ASIO enabled stand-alone module, for playback purposes, why can't you just set BIAB to use MME for BIAB playback. I don't think you need ASIO for both, and generally one app using ASIO and another using MME play nicely together.
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 07:17 PM
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Voicemeeter 2.0.1.1 (EXE file)
Install Voicemeeter Banana on your Windows PC.

VoicemeeterProSetup exe (15.94 MB - MAR 2015)

INSTALLATION: Run Setup program in administrative mode (right click Run As Admin..) / Reboot after installation (and Reboot after de-installation). This Package installs both programs: Voicemeeter & Voicemeeter Banana.

You will get VoiceMeeter with Multi ASIO Input

Find it here:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VB\Voicemeeter\voicemeeterpro.exe"

Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 11:07 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
If you are running your digital piano through an ASIO enabled stand-alone module, for playback purposes, why can't you just set BIAB to use MME for BIAB playback. I don't think you need ASIO for both, and generally one app using ASIO and another using MME play nicely together.

John, I have set BIAB to use MME for playback. But the apps still don't play nicely together.
Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/25/15 11:08 PM
Thanks Solidrock.

I had downloaded and installed the .zip file, not the .exe file.

It's late tonight, so I'll try the .exe file tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/26/15 12:28 AM
Another option to get you on the road:
It works great with Live Professor Free, no delay.
Use 64bit version if your OS is 64
Live Professor Free (don't download with Chrome)
LivePro
Add your VSTi's to the LP plugins and load plugin
Set Midi In to your keyboard
Set ASIO Audio Out to VoiceMeeter AUX ASIO

BB
Set Biab Audio to ASIO > Voicemeeter Virtual ASIO

VMP
Set VoiceMeeterPro Hardware out "A1" to WMD"your sound card".

Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/26/15 11:32 AM
Good Morning, Solidrock. Another day - Another try at this.

In a previous post, you stated:

"INSTALLATION: Run Setup program in administrative mode (right click Run As Admin..) / Reboot after installation (and Reboot after de-installation). This Package installs both programs: Voicemeeter & Voicemeeter Banana."

I tried downloading the .exe file and running it from admin mode, rebooting etc. and I still don't get the "Banana" interface. frown I even tried running the installed file in admin mode, but there was no difference. All I get is a grey-colored display showing a photo of a cable with values that seem to be monitored. There's nothing to click on or set. It looks nothing like your screen grab. confused

This is just not working for me for some reason.

Thanks.
Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/26/15 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: solidrock
LivePro

BB

VMP

Thanks for continuing to try to help me - but I'm a bit confused by this last post:

Is Live Professor Free supposed to be installed/run instead of Voicemeeter? or in addition to it?

Thanks.
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/26/15 06:52 PM
What's in this folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\VB\Voicemeeter" ?

EDIT: also look in "C:\Program Files".
LivePro needs Banana also it's just if you can't get your standalone to work with Banana.

When you right click on the speaker icon in the task bar do you get VoiceMeeter in the Playback/Recording ?

Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/27/15 12:59 PM
Originally Posted By: solidrock
What's in this folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\VB\Voicemeeter" ?

EDIT: also look in "C:\Program Files".
LivePro needs Banana also it's just if you can't get your standalone to work with Banana.

When you right click on the speaker icon in the task bar do you get VoiceMeeter in the Playback/Recording ?

Solidrock - I am a complete idiot! blush I didn't see "Banana" in the Start Menu because it was in the VB Audio Folder. It was always there and I now have "Banana" working.

Now - Rather than going back thru this thread and just getting more me confused, can I ask you to repeat what settings I should try in order to get BIAB and a piano software standalone package to both play at the same time?

Thanks again - and please accept my profuse apologies. <sigh>

EDIT: Yes, I DO now get VoiceMeeter in Playback and Recording by right-clicking on the speaker icon. (Voicemeeter input and Voicemeeter AUX Input, and Voicemeeter Output and Voiccemeeter AUX Output.)

Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/27/15 06:30 PM
LOL been there done that ! that's why I kept going becuase I knew you would find it.

Standalone
Set Midi In to your Keyboard

BB

VoiceMeeterPro (Banana)

If the Standalone don't work with VoiceMeeter ASIO use the LiveProfessor Method:

Quote:
LivePro

BB

VMP

Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/27/15 07:15 PM
Thanks again! I've tried this procedure without Live Professor, and it works - sort of. BIAB can play together with Pianoteq5, but there is a slight, but noticeable, latency.

I tried the same settings using Garritan CFX and I still get no sound out of Garritan at all.

I've ordered an external sound card to try routing BIAB thru it and the piano software thru the internal sound card, but it hasn't arrived yet. In the meantime, I'll try installing Live Professor on top of Banana and follow your procedure to see whether there's any improvement.

If it works - great! (I'll then return the external sound card for refund in that case).

If it doesn't work, I'll uninstall all of these software solutions and reset everything to before, and keep my fingers crossed wrt success using the external sound card.

Thanks again.
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/27/15 07:38 PM
Also on VoiceMeeter Hardware Output A1 try ASIO ASIO4All if you have that.

Posted By: newbert Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/28/15 12:46 PM
Solidrock - Thanks for all of your help. I tried LiveProFree in conjunction with Voicemeeter using the settings you recommended, and still couldn't get CFX to work with BIAB. I had some success with Pianoteq, but there was still noticeable latency. I tried all kinds of combinations of settings, but didn't arrive at one that worked.

I'll try the hardware solution (external sound card) when it arrives tomorrow.

If that doesn't work, I'll just return it for refund and settle for using an iPad app as my "software piano" when playing along with BIAB (via my mixer). That's not an ideal situation but it does work. At least I have that as a fall-back solution.

Thanks so much again for your patience and your efforts in helping find a solution to this.
Posted By: DEddy Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/29/15 06:16 PM
I agree with JFord.

"just set BIAB to use MME for BIAB playback. I don't think you need ASIO for both, and generally one app using ASIO and another using MME play nicely together."

DE
Posted By: solidrock Re: BIAB 2014: How to Install VST's? - 09/29/15 06:28 PM
If you have two audio devices you can do that, but if you are using ASIO4All it will use your sound card exclusively so MME won't be available. That's why I suggested VoiceMeeter as you can have multiple simultaneous ASIO from different apps.
© PG Music Forums