PG Music Home
Band-in-a-Box can save your song in many different file formats, making it easy to share your work with others!

With Band-in-a-Box 2015 we added the option to Save Your Song as a Video (with the option to upload it directly to YouTube)! You can also save your song in the following formats:
.SGU/MGU
.WAV
.WMA
.MP3
.MP4
.M4A
.MID
.AVI

Plus, Band-in-a-Box has an option to send your song to SoundCloud to share with your fans!
Callie:

Could you (briefly) explain the difference between
.SGU/MGU and MGX (??)

Thanks
DE
Originally Posted By: DEddy
Callie:

Could you (briefly) explain the difference between
.SGU/MGU and MGX (??)

Thanks
DE

From the manual:

Song Files

.?G?

Song files end in ?G? extension.

If the song has a melody the extension will begin with M (otherwise it’s S).

The second letter of the song name is G.

The third letter is the style of the song, 1-9 and A-N for built in styles and U for a User style.

Example: My Song Title.MGU

The M tells us that a Melody is recorded.

The G is always present in song names telling us that it is a song.

The U tells us that the style is a user style.

Example: My Song Title.SG1

The S indicates that no melody is recorded.

The G is always present in song names telling us that it is a song.

The 1 indicates style #1, which is Jazz Swing.

The song files are quite small. This means that you can store hundreds or thousands of songs without using up too much of your hard drive space.

.FSO

This file contains info about favorite song/style set lists specific to Band-in-a-Box for Windows that have been saved under a user-defined name (with the .FSO extension.) These files allow the user to make "set lists" of favorite songs and/or styles in an organized fashion, regardless of their actual physical location on the computer system.

.WAV

If you have recorded an audio portion of a song, this gets saved beside the song (e.g. MySong.MG1 as a .WAV file called MySong.WAV).
Thanks for answering, raymb1!

I was at a hockey game (how Canadian of me...), and missed the post.
Yes thank you raymb1 for the detailed info. This will go into my Help Email files.

DE
To add to what was posted:

The files that start with "M" are files that have anything recorded to the melody and/or soloist tracks; otherwise, it's an "S".

An MGX file indicates that a multi-track MIDI file has been loaded into the melody and/or soloist tracks. This generally happens when you import an MIDI file into BIAB. When you do that, everything goes to the melody track and the flag for "multitrack melody" is set, and which can then be moved to the soloist track if desired. Normally, when you do this, the style for the song is disabled (you'll see an "X" in front of the stylename), but you can re-enable it.

So when you have "multi-tracks" on the melody and/or soloist track, and then go to save the file, it will save as an MGX file.
© PG Music Forums