PG Music Home
Hi,
ver: ultrapluspak2015.
I have wasted hours trying to copy and paste lyrics from the lyric document widow to the line based lyric sheet. The handbook isn't very clear just indicating you can copy to and from etc.
I have seen the video but that just shows typing each line in. Even then I just seem to get chords up in the Big Lyrics window and no lyrics.
I ultimately want to have a backing track playing, showing the lyrics and chords on my Galaxy Tab(android)with the words highlighted so that I stay in sync with my playing.
I must be missing something obvious.
The obvious thing you are missing is that you can't do what you want to do (at least to the best of my knowledge).

You can copy from either line-based or note-based lyrics into the Lyrics Document window (by using copy/paste), but you can't go the other way around.

The Big Lyrics window does not read from the Lyrics Document window, it only reads from either line or note based lyrics. The Lyrics Document window was added as a way to capture lyrics in a word processing type document that you can print out if you wish.
There are two ways to enter lyrics: line based and note based.

For note based you need to have a melody note for each word. For instance, the first line of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" has seven notes so the words would be entered twin kle twin kle lit tle star. When displayed the words would be displayed as each note is played. This way works better when you are singing karoake and reading the words on a display or monitor.

Line based is like typing in a document. Each line is 70 characters (I think) and spaces count as characters. You do not need to have melody notes as the words are displayed by line, not by note. This works pretty well when you are printing a chord and lyric sheet.
I think Karakan was a lot quicker just open a midi track from BB/RB with vocal notes (even the same note just for sync purpose, you can use for a word of or a line of lyrics by using "_" to join the words as 1 word) and paste the lyrics with chords in (or just lyrics and BB/RB can show the chords between the lyrics in the Big Lyrics window Options), then open in BB or RB and do a screen capture to video, the 2016 version might have an option to save Big lyric/chord window, notation window as well the current chord window.

Hi John,
Well I suppose that explains it!
My handbook says "the LDW displays a full screen of formatted lyrics so you can easily copy and paste lyrics to and from your favourite word processor. If you have lyrics available you can quickly paste them into Biab" Pg 249. It continues over the page in similar vein.
So the handbook is 'misleading' at best.
I shall try the notebased lyric approach next.
Thank you for yor reply and of course the other guys who have also taken trouble to help.
Pete
Hi silvertop,

I've had a read through the instruction book about the Lyric Document Window and my impression is that it isn't misleading. The information seems to simply state what LDW is and does but doesn't go into too much detail on how to get the best out of it.

Here's something you might like to try that will give lyrics and chords in the Big Lyric Window....

... it's not necessary to enter every song note for note-based lyrics. Simply go to the Notation Window and place a note on beat 3 in each bar. Don't worry about the pitch of the note. It's then possible to use this note to anchor lyrics for that bar. I call these "bar-based lyrics". The reason I use a note on beat 3 is because lyrics are centre justified and beat 3 will fill the bar from the centre outwards. Below shows what I mean.

Once the lyrics are entered, it's possible to delete the note and the lyrics will remain. (Muting the melody would also stop the notes from sounding if you want to leave them in place. I favour leaving the notes in place because it makes editing the text easier, if needed.)

Hope this helps,
Noel

I think this is a great way to use a simplified note based lyric.

I stopped using line based notation because even though you build your lyrics around a bar,or a group of bars they do not move in sync with the bars if you change the number of bars per line, or add new bars in the middle of a song.

They work, but it can be very frustrating.
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi silvertop,

I've had a read through the instruction book about the Lyric Document Window and my impression is that it isn't misleading. The information seems to simply state what LDW is and does but doesn't go into too much detail on how to get the best out of it.

Here's something you might like to try that will give lyrics and chords in the Big Lyric Window....

... it's not necessary to enter every song note for note-based lyrics. Simply go to the Notation Window and place a note on beat 3 in each bar. Don't worry about the pitch of the note. It's then possible to use this note to anchor lyrics for that bar. I call these "bar-based lyrics". The reason I use a note on beat 3 is because lyrics are centre justified and beat 3 will fill the bar from the centre outwards. Below shows what I mean.

Once the lyrics are entered, it's possible to delete the note and the lyrics will remain. (Muting the melody would also stop the notes from sounding if you want to leave them in place. I favour leaving the notes in place because it makes editing the text easier, if needed.)

Hope this helps,
Noel

Noel,

Your suggestion to use just one note on beat 3 of every bar is fantastic! May I request you post the idea in the Tips and Tricks section of the forum so the idea will be easier to find in the future.
Hi Jim,

That's a good idea. It didn't occur to me.

Thanks for the thought.
Noel
Hi All Respondents,
That's made my day!
I'll be on it tomorrow and give it a go.
Pete
Guys I (and others) have been talking about this for years, simply put as great a program BIAB is it would seem the brains who write the code would by 2015 have a simple way of entering lyrics. I know all about the work arounds but when you have a book of over one thousand songs there is no way I have the time nor the discipline to do it. I still use the old split screen with the memo pad.

Maybe one of these days.

Later,
In Karakan you can also put a lyric on a place where there is no melody note, a MIDI time code can be used. A MIDI time code has the following form:

$measure:beat:tick$
$5:3:0$lyric

If something like this was integrated into in BB/RB it would make thing a lot easier.

Here's the help file Karakan.chm

https://youtu.be/b2wl3PomPJ8?t=1m53s
check out the # sign (to the right of the BDPGSMS) above the notation.

This gives you direct access to the midi data so that you can edit it as needed. If you click the LYRICS button (within the # ) you can edit each lyric unit. You can delete it, edit it, move it on the time line. Whatever you want.

Although I haven't played with it, you can add midi controller functions as well.

It's not pretty, but it does work
Thanks for that. I have found that facility and I have edited line breaks that seem to appear when I cut and paste a lyric.
I will investigate further.
© PG Music Forums