PG Music Home
Posted By: Tony Wright 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/04/15 09:42 AM
How do I get my third party styles to show in the new Stylepicker? It doesn't seem to recognize the ls3 files.

Tony
I don't have 2016 yet, so this might not work, but give it a try. Let us know if it works.

The following is copied from old posts and such.

There has been a bug in various versions of BiaB that have been discussed at the PG Music forum.

The most reliable fix was in this post by John Ford:

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=190715

I'm not at my machine right now, but this is what has worked for me when I've seen this problem. Exit BIAB. Go find the BBW.LST file in the BIAB main folder. Edit the file with notepad and go to the very end of the file. Make sure the is exactly one blank line after the last entry in the file. Save the file, launch BIAB, and rebuild your stylepicker list and see if the Norton styles reappear.

------
The response:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=190719

John

I just tried your fix... and it works!!!! My Norton styles are back in the style picker windows with their demo songs!
How did you come up with the idea of adding an extra line at the end of the .list file?
Thanks for not having to reinstall BIAB.

Jean-Louis

------
And the follow up from John Ford:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=190721

It's been that way a long time, and I have reported it with each beta. I thought they had it fixed this go-round, but obviously not. Don't know why I thought of that fix, but don't know why I thought of a lot of things. I think it started when I noticed that (and this was many versions ago), the first entry in Norton's LS3 file was appended to the last entry in the BBW.LST file (the two lines were concatenated). So to fix it, it added an extra blank line to the BBW.LST file and the problem went away. Later on, I have noticed in a number of versions where my LS3 file entries would disappear, so I tried the same fix for that, and it has worked every time.

During beta testing, I noticed that the BBW.LST file had 8-10 blank lines after the last entry and that caused the same problem. My fix worked for that situation also.

I think there is a glitch in the parsing routine for the stylepicker in how it handles end-of-file situations for the BBW.LST file, but that would be for PGMusic to answer.

I'm just glad it worked for those experiencing the problem.

------

This one also worked for some

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=190707

My Norton styles vanished after downloading 2013 but I got them back by manually loading the Norton .LS3 files through the style picker "edit" function. I was the only one reporting this about a month ago.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: jford Re: 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/04/15 02:42 PM
I have almost all the Norton styles and they show up in my BIAB 2016 style picker. The thing to keep in mind is that you won't see the categories that Bob Norton previously created with his LS3 files. What you should see, though, are all the styles that start with the "#" symbol should be Norton Styles, as that was the convention he uses. Also, because of how the StylePicker now filters, if you filter based on style set number, you will find (for example), all the PGMusic styles from set 8 intermingled with the Norton styles from what he designated as set 8, and any other styles that were entered as set 8.

But from what I can tell they are all there. Must make sure you do a complete (slow) rebuild of the style list.
Posted By: Tony Wright Re: 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/04/15 08:40 PM
No wonder I was confused!!

The first time I loaded 2016 onto a Win 8.1 computer the Stylepicker did not show a Slow Rebuild button, only a fast one so of course the third party styles didn't appear and I had no idea what was meant by Slow Rebuild.

I then loaded onto another computer (Win 7) and the Slow Rebuild button appeared.
I tried re-installing BIAB on the first computer and still no Slow Rebuild button!

I am not sure I like all the third party styles being mixed in with the PG ones. I really liked the sub-headings that listed the source of the styles. Does this mean that ls3 files are now redundant?

Tony
Posted By: jford Re: 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/04/15 08:43 PM
I've asked about how the BBW.LST file and the LS3 files interact with the new StylePicker, but have not yet received an answer. I have also sent a request to support at PGMusic to explain this. Hopefully something will be reported soon.

Posted By: Tony Wright Re: 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/05/15 08:47 AM
I found out why the new Stylepicker window wasn't displaying properly - no "slow rebuild" button and some other buttons out of place.

I changed the Win8.1 Display setting from "medium" to "smaller" and everything shows up now.

Tony
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/05/15 10:44 AM
Tony, thank you for reporting back with the solution.

There are a couple of other effects of using Windows to increase that setting. For example, the Audio menu up in the track names gets covered. I point this out only because I'm not sure we completely identified everything that went wrong when Windows was set to 125%.
Posted By: musiclover Re: 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/06/15 09:55 AM
With the screen resolution set to 1280x 960 and display at 139% on windows 7 32 bit the slow rebuild button on the stylepicker doesn't show, set monitor to 100% and it does, so was able to do slow rebuild there and then change back, which added the extra styles.

One question though after every update the stylepicker does a rebuild, but do I have to do a slow rebuild each time to add the third party styles?

Thanks
Musiclover
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: 2016 Stylepicker third party styles? - 12/06/15 08:06 PM
))) One question though after every update the stylepicker does a rebuild, but do I have to do a slow rebuild each time to add the third party styles?

Just do a slow rebuild when you've added new third party or user styles. And it won't be that slow, since it is based on the previous database, so only needs to load in new styles.
© PG Music Forums