PG Music Home
Posted By: DQuinlan Newbie w/ setup questions: be gentle! - 05/10/09 05:17 AM
Hi all,

Just picked up the BIAB megapak and have run into a couple of problems. Hopefully someone can help me out a little.

1) I installed Roland VSC however it does not come up in the MIDI Driver Setup window. I am using the SB X-Fi drivers. Is this OK?

2) Whenever I use RealTracks or RealDrums the sound is so choppy that it renders the track pretty much unusable. However when I play the track and look at system performance I find that the cpu is only using about 50% capacity and I have > 1 gig ram left over. Have I set something up wrong as it sounds nothing like the demos.

My system specs are:

Intel 2.66 core duo
3 gig ram
SB X-fi sound card
XP SP3

Cheers

DQ
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Newbie w/ setup questions: be gentle! - 05/10/09 06:27 AM
Hi DQ,

Welcome to BIAB 2009! Something is certainly not working for you. I take it that all is good with MIDI and it's only the RealTracks and -Drums that are the problem. Where I'd start with this problem is to look under Audio on the upper menu and choose Audio Driver/Settings. Set the Driver type to MME. See how that goes. It might be that you have selected ASIO and it's not working properly.

In relation to VSC, this is an older version of what is now known as VSC/DXi. It's the DXi version that is better on XP.

Hope this helps,
Noel
There are several things that could be causing "choppy" audio.

Try what Noel suggested.

Also, try temporarily disabling your network card in Device Manager, and temporarily shutting off your anti-virus program. Look in the Task Manager to see what other processes are running and taking up CPU time. Make sure your onboard sound card on the motherboard is disabled in the BIOS. Are there any device conflicts in Device Manager, especially with your Sound Blaster? Have you done a disk cleanup to delete all unnecessary files, then defragged your hard drive? Are your drivers up to date, especially the sound card and the video card? Is your hard drive nearly full?

Does your system play regular audio files with no problem, like CDs in Windows Media Player?
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Newbie w/ setup questions: be gentle! - 05/10/09 08:55 AM
Hard drive performance is critical to audio production. Describe your hard drive configuration. How many do you have? What are their specs (how many, make and model, speed in RPM if you know, IDE v SATA, etc.)? Where have you placed the RB TEMP files?

R.
Posted By: DQuinlan Re: Newbie w/ setup questions: be gentle! - 05/10/09 09:54 AM
Hi gents,

Thank you very much for all the help.

I had set the driver type to ASIO, changing to back to MME made all the difference. Sounds great now!

Again, cheers for the (extremely helpful!) replies.

DQ
Posted By: MarioD Re: Newbie w/ setup questions: be gentle! - 05/10/09 12:42 PM
Welcome to the forums DQ.

FYI, I’m using BiaB using the Creative SB X-FI ASIO drivers with no problem. If you want to use the ASIO drivers you will have to play around with your buffer settings.

You MAY get latency when playing a midi controller. That is a delay between when you press a key and hear the sound. You may have to use the ASIO drivers to eliminate that.

You may want to print out the responses you did receive, as they are all very important when running BiaB and DAWs.
© PG Music Forums