PG Music Home
Posted By: robvh MusicXML import anomalies. - 01/11/16 06:49 AM
If importing MusicXML in BIAB time-modifications it will create many more time-modifications (the 3 over two notes) then available in the original score, since it will open with triple resolution by definition and creates it's own interpretation about the score writing. At the same time if you switch off the triple resolution deliberately it will also ignore the original available triple resolution. In other words it never can reproduce the original file in this example.

I added a pdf print from an imported MusicXML into MuseScore which shows at the first page the original available three time modifications in measures 7 (2x) and 24.

Disturbing matters in order of importance imo:

1. The second pdf page shows the imported file into BIAB. It will use triplet resolution on and show ca 45 time modifications. If you switch triplet resolution off it will show no time modifications at all (third page).
2. Secondly it will not import song title name which is in this example 'Round Midnight. (instead: I manually did add as title some file info)
3. It will not detect repeat symbols also not in the "fake mode" end also not the added end bar (measure 8).
4. It will only show 1 line of lyrics.
5. The composers name is adding all names available from composer, poet and/or lyricist in one row into "Composer" and repeat a part of the end in "Composer2"

Example files can be found here:
PDF: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7389688_4167795_9392748
MusicXML: https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D7389688_4167795_9392740
Posted By: Dave Re: MusicXML import anomalies. - 01/11/16 11:14 AM
I can't say that I am surprised about the lyrics / returns. In BIAB these have always been treated as a print function. The song is one long linear unit, that BIAB can interpret as a multi line fake sheet.

I suspect that taking a BIAB with multi line lyrics, returns, endings etc, will yield an XML file that is equally difficult to use.

Have you tried setting a non-triplet style before importing? I know that if you open a midi waltz, you can get strange results unless BIAB has a waltz style in place. I suspect the default style is triplet (probably ZZJAZZ) which may cause the XMLimport to get confused.
Posted By: robvh Re: MusicXML import anomalies. - 01/11/16 12:48 PM
If you switch it to non-triplet, it automatically has been switched back to triplet after you've imported a file. But this seem to be only valid for my XP I discovered. For W10 it stays at non-triplet but it then ignores all triplets created in the MusicXML. Setting it at triplet it still creates numerous unwished triplets. So the results are still identical to my XP results.
Posted By: Jeff Yankauer Re: MusicXML import anomalies. - 01/26/16 08:28 PM
BIAB and RB import the notes of a MusicXML file as if the file were a MIDI file...in other words, the importing was designed to mainly just read in the times, pitches, and durations of notes in a similar manner to importing a .MID file, and then the notation window itself will display the notation based in it's own auto-notate routines. Some other parameters that RB/BIAB support, such as slurs and accents are supported as well.

In other words, the importing wasn't really designed so that it will display exactly what is displayed in scoring programs. In order to do that, we would really need to create a whole new alternate notation window (a scoring window?) where it stores all the score-based parameters of a note rather than mainly just notes/times/durations. BIAB and RB aren't scoring programs per se, so I'm not sure how feasible that would be (getting a new window like that implemented could take years as well, I suppose).

Thanks.
Posted By: robvh Re: MusicXML import anomalies. - 01/27/16 06:50 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I suppose the best thing is always to use the "non-triplet" setting diring import of xml otherwise too many notes will unexpectedly show up as triplets.

Rob
© PG Music Forums