PG Music Home
I have a brand new Biab 2016 Pro install on Windows 10 and I get a message any time I try to generate a realtrack saying "Beat Map Stretcher was unable to load in the WAV file".

This is a pristine new install. This install is about as vanilla as you can get - all in c:\bb. I checked audio/ASIO settings as the first thing and they're fine. MIDI playback sounds fine as does VSTi playback. It's just realtracks that are the problem for me. I've looked at file locations and past forum threads. I've run dll walker to see if there is missing dll dependancies. Cold and warm boots to no avail.

However, what I have found is that this error seems due to WMA files and how they are decoded by Windows. It appears that my installation of Windows 10 is not decoding them correctly (if at all). Consequently the Beat Map Stretcher (which takes the audio and fits it to the tempo of my song and the number of bars I want it to play for) can't do it's job.

Now I'm pretty sure I'll need to try installing biab2016 on another machine with an older version of windows but I'm wondering if anyone else had this issue on Windows 10?

Cheers

Matt
Hi Matt, and welcome to the neighborhood.

Not sure that I have the answer, but two things to try:

1: Right click on the icon on the desktop and select "Run as Administrator"

2: In BiaB, go to Options > Return to Factory Settings (Probably choose the 'Most' option)

Let us know if this made any difference.

Trev

Attached picture 2016-01-20_21-35-03.jpg
Thanks for the reply. No. Neither made any difference. I'm pretty confident it's because my Windows 10 can't play/decode WMA files. Seems like there is lots of people on the internet with the same issue with Windows 10 but not every version has this problem. Annoying. I'd hoped someone might have a solution. I have a windows 7 laptop I'll install it on for the time being...
I have 2015 band in box & win 10 just 2 days ago on both pc,s in which I have giving me just that same issue I been advised to just clean install done this & I'm sure too its a win 10 thing I'm gutted as ive moved over with 2 carefree months on win 10 till now http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/images/icons/default/cry.gifhmmm... tried running from HD too totally lost with stretch file cant find to wav !
Redhanded,

What audio driver are you using? If it's ASIO, try changing to MME and see if that makes a difference. (ASIO can sometimes cause unexpected behaviour.)

Also, navigate to c:\bb\Realtracks and enter one of the directories of Realtracks. Doubleclick on one of the wma files and see if it loads.

Let us know what happens.

Regards,
Noel
It seems that there are editions of Windows 10 that don't include Windows Media Player by default (!?), but you can download it from:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

This might mean that those versions of Win 10 don't have some required tools to deal with wma files. Are you able to play any wma file on your computer?

Edit: Before downloading anything from that link (and since I'm just speculating), perhaps you could verify if Windows Media Player is installed on your computer, and whether you can play standard wma files.

Please let us know.

yes indeed I just also seen that win 10 11099 vers has put the wav files not in the correct place hence The error of is exactly so hope this also helps some one or prob quite a lot that moved into win 10 and thanks too Noel took me i while to twig it Damm !!
Originally Posted By: muff racer
yes indeed I just also seen that win 10 11099 vers has put the wav files not in the correct place hence The error of is exactly so hope this also helps some one or prob quite a lot that moved into win 10 and thanks too Noel took me i while to twig it Damm !!

I don't understand your comment... is this problem fixed for you? What do you mean when you say it didn't put the wave files in the correct place?
yea almost noel .. all the sets are not in the right path they some how not linked in way they was to run straight from as was . very strange . it must be a serious bug in this beta win 10 which otherwise works with band in box ok
The program of band in a box is not in program files , but above so also it is not in the uninstall programs grrrr
muff racer,

BIAB should not be in the \Program Files. The default directory of x:\bb is the best place for it where x: is either a hard drive or USB drive. If you want to reinstall, simply do so over the top of the program.

When you say the sets are not in the right path, could you explain in a little more detail? It would be very unusual if they were installed in incorrect paths.

Regards,
Noel
all the sets are not in the right path they some how not linked in way they was to run straight from as was . very strange . it must be a serious bug in this beta win 10 which otherwise works with band in box ok

All which sets? Please explain what you mean by "all these sets are not in the right path". What sets, and where are they, and where should they be?

The program of band in a box is not in program files , but above so also it is not in the uninstall programs grrrr

Programs don't have to be installed in the Program Folders location to have an uninstall programs option. Period.

Your best option is to just install BB in the recommended location x:\bb\ (if that is indeed what you are attempting)
yes that is what I have done just let it do its stuff I'm aware some files cannot go to programs & its in its own folder desending just as , but still it wont play wav from the [url=prhttp://prntscr.com/9t8ayt][url=prhttp://prntscr.com/9t8ayt][url=prhttp://prntscr.com/9t8ayt]prhttp://prntscr.com/9t8ayt[/url][/url][/url]
ogram never had this before in 4 years + & no I'm sure not fixed
http://prntscr.com/9t8ayt
its just been put in as should by default of C & on win 10 pro which has been running it for few months ok until I had updates for next build in 11099
Just noticing..
Your image shows the BiaB 2015 upgrade file as a recent file

How long have you been on 2016?
Why would the 2015 upgrade file be a recent file?
Thanks for all the replies.

Andrew: I checked and I have wmp on my PC. I can play the WMA files natively using WMP. So thats strange.

Something's disconnected somewhere.

I just tried RealBand (no I hadn't thought of doing that) and it's giving the same error. So that tells me its core to both applications so most likely system related.

I'm a developer so I'm trying a clean install again just to see if that makes any difference... lol. You might have to be a developer to get that joke.
Redhanded,

This might also be a problem caused by Realdrums since they, too, are converted to wav files for playing (at least as I understand things).

Some thoughts that spring to mind....

1. Click on "File | New" to start a new file (this is important as it should eliminate the possibility for a corrupt file being used as the basis song).

2. Now click on Stylepicker and load in the demo for some random Realtrack style. Click ok.

3. When back at the chord sheet, instead of hitting the "Generate" arrow, right-click on and individual track in the mixer and select "(re)Generate this track" from the pop-up menu . (This will generate the individual track.)

Doing the above should isolate whether the problem is with Realdrums, Realtracks or both.

Let us know how you go.

Regards,
Noel
No luck Noel.

I think I'm going to go with the install on my Windows 7 laptop for now. Something's not quite right with my Windows 10 setup but it's not going to be easy to sort out at this stage so I'll leave it alone for now.
When you say "No luck" was it Realtracks and Realdrums that were the issue or just one of them?
Both. It didn't make any difference. :-(
its Version 2015 (417)
installed win 10 . beta I had same problem on another pc . I rolled back the win 10 & now that is fine so I can only assume thats it my problem here is this pc is not win pro 10 , but the home edition wont let you save or roll back for years its been solid on win 7 so im not happy that obviously win 10 & band in box 2015 have issues
im on Version 2015 (417)
with win 7 for years it been great.... win 10 & this version dont seem to work so clever so i respect fact its a o/s thing @ moment as im on beta versions rolling on lol
Did a quick search.
If you Google "windows 10 update wma files" you will see others are having this issue as well with W10.
For some the solution was to make IE the default browser so it could download the license!

-----
"I had the same problem. I had to make IE the "default browser" and then I was able to play the wma music files. "
-----

Gotta love M$
A sign of things to come?
that sounds interesting. I'll give it a go.
ON Win 10 pro version 1511 there is no issues all is ok
But it is clear some versions of win 10 those are all above 1511 , which also report problems in The Windows media player . but saying that as I said before manually taking a real file it will play it no problem so its strange indeed id personally use win 7 or even get a brand new mac later as win 10 so far dont impress me its scary !
Indeed Noel IE EXPlORER has given the issues & is now fixed by fact win 10 has had bugs ironed out in the pre release of win 10 Build 14251 release 160124 just hope it helps as it has affected so many other program users with lately
did anyone try turning the UAC off and log out and back in then try it - turn it back on after if that don't help
© PG Music Forums