PG Music Home
sorting that vst time/sync out finally will open up the pg apps up to a whole new world - this is just one example below.

Having the bb chord output option gives you a midi file with all the chords for the song - that you just now load into the rapid composer vsti that reads the chords - this will give the same chord track as real band-band in a box (so real band needs chord output feature also) - now you can drop any midi solo/rhythm/bass into rapid composer vst and you can have it automatically fit to the chord track/scale by right click converting the midi from absolute (stays the same) to relative form (fits to chord/scale), absolute can be used on the associated solo/rhythm/bass pattern midi keyswitch file for Kontakt articulations, that will stay on the same keyswitch no matter where in the chord track you have it - so you just drop the solo/riff midi file anywhere you want it and drop the associated kontakt articulation keyswitch midi file below it.

In the piano roll you can instantly see and move any notes that are out of chord/scale by the color.

So as you are playing real band-band in a box it will send vst time info to rapid composer vsti - now you can easily fit midi kontakt section to the rest of the song not to mention be able to use a drum vsti with a pattern track to create builds and any other drum pattern anywhere at all that you are restricted to do with real drums.
This way I'm staying in pg to create the song - like if I create the midi kontakt solo it sounds great but now the real track piano is out so I just simply multiriff (real band) the piano to fit better to the new kontakt solo - that I can't do if I'm already in pro tools.

Other advantages include - re-wire connection - being able to sync real band in a box with any DAW - all the other vsti plugins that need vst time info like Zplane Vielklang 2, FL Studio vst, Kontakt, Temper, RapidComposer, EZKeys, energyXT Re-wire VST, EZDrummer2, JamStix, Melodyne, Addictive Drums and more (that work in every other DAW there is).

Band in a box could be then used as a plugin itself just as Fl Studio can be - this way it can be a slave to your DAW host.

I don't understand what you're saying.

Is this something that is available now or is this a suggestion that this should be available?

Bob
@jazzmanual
apparently the person in charge of VST development stopped working for PG Music some time back - now it has been brought to Jeff's attention he is filling in that structure to enable this VstTimeInfo for syncing play time/bpm for vsti's finally - so this will be a massive move forward for these pg apps and enable so many possibilities.

VstTimeInfo
A protocol defining how a plug-in can obtain time & tempo information from the host application in a variety of formats.
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
@jazzmanual
apparently the person in charge of VST development stopped working for PG Music some time back...

Bob must be the new jazz encyclopedia smile
He is very helpful smile
By the way anyone interested in rapid composer there is a 30% off sale coming up soon.
Apparantly?

Pipeline, you know this how? The rule in many forums concerning gossip is simple:

Post a link or it doesn't exist.

The VST tempo synch problem has been reported on and requested in the wishlist for a good 10 years and nothing has happened. I know this because I was one of the very first if not the first to report it and then bugged the absolute crap out of everybody for several years with no results.

I guess you have the "Pipeline" direct to Mr PG himself?

Bob
Yes this was just the other day, so yes it will finally be fixed.
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
The rule in many forums concerning gossip is simple:

ditto!
Careful guys .. let's not get anybody hurt here.

I wonder why, if the VST guy is gone, why is his name still at the bottom of the Forum as a moderator?
I admit I haven't heard from him in a long while and his last online here looks to be 2013 .. appears some tidying up is in order on the forum.

Also, let's not confuse BB with RB. Pipeline mentioned Jeff, who works on PT/RB ... this is the BiaB forum.
I'm not trying to get any hopes up here, just noticing..
Originally Posted By: jazzmandan

ditto!

"Wow, how did I miss this thread?"

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=364703

This is considered a beta build because it is new.

Download the build 10 update

Summary of Changes for Build 10 (Sept 9, 2016)

• ADDED: Improved support for time-based VST plugin features. Synchronization / tempo lock now works for plugins such as JamStix, Addictive Drums, EZ Drummer, and RapidComposer. This allows, for example, plugins like JamStix Virtual Drummer to generate and play drum arrangements in real-time.
smile
Thanks Pipeline
This ended very well
Thanks for your contribution to making this happen

ditto!

"Wow, how did I miss this thread?"

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=364703

This is considered a beta build because it is new.

Download the build 10 update

Summary of Changes for Build 10 (Sept 9, 2016)

• ADDED: Improved support for time-based VST plugin features. Synchronization / tempo lock now works for plugins such as JamStix, Addictive Drums, EZ Drummer, and RapidComposer. This allows, for example, plugins like JamStix Virtual Drummer to generate and play drum arrangements in real-time.

It's a good day in PG Music land. Long time coming but well worth the wait! Thanks to EVERYONE that worked hard and long to make this possible.

Biggie thanks to PG Music for continuing to improve the 2016 products. Many updates have been made to Band-in-a-Box and RealBand throughout this year. Let's hear it for the updates!!!!!!
Yes, a long awaited ability.

And I'm truly happy for all those here that persevered in these forums and with PG to get it/make it happen, in SPITE of folks like me, who wanted it but weren't going to lose sleep over it (or... nuff said)

I assume it will now also soon come to PowerTracks(?)

Larry
After re-reading this thread, I don't see that this feature is in BIAB, only the newest build of RealBand. Is that correct or am I missing something?

It is hopeful news of course.
"for PG Apps" but it could be just gossip again ???

Maybe just wait n see.
Matt, I concur.
The latest release of BiaB is 437 and I don't believe it has those new features.
However, it could be available in a forthcoming release.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the excitement is about! Does not seem like any of this has been officially announced or released. A thread from April gets revived and all of a sudden everyone is standing around slapping backs and shaking hands! laugh
Yes, perhaps a forthcoming release of BIAB will have this feature.
"Yeah, I'm not sure what the excitement is about!"

VST Time Info
ring any bells jjj ?
"A thread from April gets revived and all of a sudden everyone is standing around slapping backs and shaking hands! laugh "

April: sorting that vst time/sync out finally will open up the pg apps up to a whole new world = Dream

PG = hard work, determination and commitment

September: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=364703 = Reality
That's Realband, right?
Yes, AFAIK it's referring to RealBand

Maybe in BiaB soon though?
RB/PT got the following features before BiaB:
DX/VST
DXi/VSTi
Audio Recording
now
VST Timing Info ..

It'll get there. RB/PT users push for these things more than the average BB user so it makes sense that they incorporate it there first.
I'm sure you'll see it in BB soon.
The point is they did it, and I'm sure it was not easy. That's why people are excited; many had given up hope that it could be done.
Quote:
Maybe in BiaB soon though?

Looks like BIAB's time is now. They just released the new build that includes VST timing:

BIAB Build 438 with VST timing
Can someone outline what this means for BIAB? Pipeline? You always do thorough and accurate overviews of these things. Any chance you'd do an overview of what this means to a fellow RapidComposer user? laugh
RapidComposer VST will play along in sync to biab, allowing you to fit melody/solo/rhythm created in RC to your biab song, being able to loop sections while creating.
At the moment RC sends midi to biab/realband, but you can't add another vsti under the RC vsti to play it's midi output only audio vst so no sound at the moment. Unless someone knows a way ?

But if you want to use it now, because the VST Sync is working you can load it into a VSTHost, load RapidComposer vst and another vsti for the sound out.

To do this you need http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

VSTHost 32/64 EDIT: Links
http://www.hermannseib.com/programs/vsthostx86.zip

http://www.hermannseib.com/programs/vsthostx64.zip

Slave Link vst/vsti
http://www.hermannseib.com/programs/Legree.zip

In the VSTHost 64 or 32 folder

right click on vsthost.exe - Create Shortcut

right click on the shortcut - Properties

In the Target Box add -slave:-1 to the end of the line
"C:\Program Files\vsthost64\vsthost.exe" -slave:-1
Ok

you can rename the shortcut: vsthost64.exe - Slave -1

run vsthost64.exe - Slave -1 (it will wait for the host biab)

now load the LegreeI.dll into an empty midi track vsti slot

so in the biab mixer Plugins tab click [None} on the empty track and load LegreeI.dll

for some reason the LegreeI.dll UI is not showing in the VST window,
that's why the slave number is set to the default -1 (-1 to 16)

in VSTHost go to File - New Plugin load RapidComposer_x64.dll or 32 bit dll

now load a vst instrument for RapidComposer's output

they will be linked wrong so we have to re-link them

so on the Engine Output we click the little chain link icon

we select the input we need in my case it is EZKeys VSTi

now we go to the chain link icon on EZKeys an select the input we need - RapidComposer

Now RapidComposer should play in sync with biab

EDIT: you can also import the chords from biab to RapidComposer, in biab - Prefs see pic below, save biab song as midi, Import midi in RapidComposer selecting only the BB Chord Output track (you may have to insert 2 bars at the start? right click on Timeline - Gear) if it don't read the chords correctly you may need a new beta version, you can ctrl A del all midi on the track or mute it.

This gives you away to route the output of one vsti to another, so I can send the midi out from a vsti like RealGuitar into Kontakt.

Having this VST Time Info available in pg apps will allow for things like slaving biab/realband/PT to any DAW and maybe a vst version for any DAW, so who knows what the future will hold.

Attached picture biab_vsthost_01.jpg
Attached picture bb_chord_output_settings.jpg
Further, I enabled chord output in prefs, saved it to midi, imported the BB Chord Output track into RC and set the key/scale.
I just minimized VSTHost and I just have RC n BIAB playing in sync.
I just used a Generic Phrase Generator on EZKeys and it fit good to the blues demo.

If you click the little line icon near the track solo button and choose
Color Notes by Rendered Note Color (Chord/Scale/Out-of-scale)
will make it easy for editing.

ps. Lovin' it thanks to all the hard work pg put into it, thanks pg !

Attached picture biab_RC_synced_vsthost.jpg
Thanks Pipeline...but I do not understand most of that! You wrote something one time that really piqued my interest. I think you said we would be able to create our song in BIAB then output the MIDI, WITH CHORDS, into RapidComposer? That is one thing I really do not like about RC is how you enter lots of bars in sections that get hidden.

I'd love to be able to send MIDI from BIAB to RC then use RC to add patterns to the whole song then bring the MIDI back into BIAB. Any way to do that?
You can do just about anything you can think of.

"I think you said we would be able to create our song in BIAB then output the MIDI, WITH CHORDS, into RapidComposer?"

Yes save the song to midi with Chord Output enabled, then import in RC.

"That is one thing I really do not like about RC is how you enter lots of bars in sections that get hidden."

You just put the phrases in the bars on your chord track were you need them.

"I'd love to be able to send MIDI from BIAB to RC then use RC to add patterns to the whole song then bring the MIDI back into BIAB. Any way to do that?"

Yes save the song to midi with Chord Output enabled, then import in RC, create the midi track then just export the midi track in RC then import into biab.

Using the above method will let you build the sound you want in RC before exporting to biab, so you can add riffs solos on whatever bar/s you want.

You can drag any midi from anywhere into RC, convert it to relative form then you can save it as a phrase and drag n drop it anywhere on the chord track and it will fit to the chord/scale.

The best thing to do is follow the step by step guide above getting RC to play along in sync to biab then you can play around with it more. This way you will have the same chord track in each, RC will follow the biab play/stop/loop/position.

When you import the midi from biab just select the midi ctrl A del then you will have a clean track to work with.

To get started try some of the generators in the Phrases window, set the length you need at the top then drag in, right click the phrase - magic wand this will give a lot of options.
You can edit these by double clicking or switch the main track to Note Editing mode to the left of the Snap button.
In the Phrase Editor you can click View Option like on the main track : Color Notes by Rendered Note Color (Chord/Scale/Out-of-scale).

Whatever section you want to work on creating in RC just highlight those bars in biab then loop that section while you find patterns/phrases/riffs/solos that will fit or ones that come close that you can then edit to fit.
Always Save the Session in RC !!!
RC has no Bar offset adjustment at the moment so the bars are out by 2, didn't try disabling the 2 bar count-in in biab to see if that works.

The beta version 3.1b14 RC has now got better import options.
It's not removing the count-in bars unless checked.
So to get the chords only I select the BB Chord Output track only.

Attached picture RC_3.1b14_midi_import.jpg
Attached picture RC_3.1b14_track.jpg
"I think you said we would be able to create our song in BIAB then output the MIDI, WITH CHORDS, into RapidComposer?"

Yes save the song to midi with Chord Output enabled, then import in RC.

I tried saving a song to MIDI but I do not see any option to have "Chord Output enabled". Predictably, when I imported the MIDI into RC it was a mess of crazy chords.
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I tried saving a song to MIDI but I do not see any option to have "Chord Output enabled".

Look closer, this option is in the "options menu". It is tricky as the midi file is saved somewhere/somehow. I got it written down somewhere. I use this with EZKeys.
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I tried saving a song to MIDI but I do not see any option to have "Chord Output enabled".

Look closer, this option is in the "options menu". It is tricky as the midi file is saved somewhere/somehow. I got it written down somewhere. I use this with EZKeys.

Looked close lots of times. No "Chord Output" option that I can find.

Maybe I am doing it wrong? Here is what I am doing...

1) load song
2) click the .MID button located in the File section of the toolbar
3) from the popup I click Options button
4) the options window that pops up is "MIDI file options" but it has no "Chord Output" setting
5) click OK then click File on Disk button
Hi John,

It's in Options - Preferences - OutputCh.

You'll find checkboxes there for "Output Chords" and "Write track to MIDI file".

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Here you go.

Thanks Kent! Thanks jazzmandan!

That moves me forward a step or two! frown Now I am trying to figure out how to export and import the MIDI file. I will start another post for this.
There's a BIG PIC at the bottom of the how to guide above, use those setting

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=365142#Post365142

Click the MID button - File on disk or Save As Midi File (F6)

RC - Midi Import - Select only BB Chord Output

but download the latest Beta 3.1b14 it recognizes the chords good now reading the lowest as bass and not some inversion.
Just go through and check the chords.

EDIT: in RC click the LOCAL SEQ to use RC by itself.
Also disable the output chords after you have saved the midi or you will get held chords playing.

New RapidComposer beta update, v3.1b15 is available.

Tempo map fixes to follow BB and other midi import options.
Now it's Mac's turn, A Major Update !!!!!! AU and VST plugins are now supported.
Band-in-a-Box 2016 Build 143 Update

The Band-in-a-Box® 2016 for Mac Special is BACK!

**Special Offers Available Until October 31, 2016!**
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm

So I did a Crossgrade from Win to Mac, as I had the Win Audiophile (wav) version, as Mac BB will load wav I just did the Mac app only Crossgrade.
It's a bit of messing around so if you're not into all of that there's Great upgrade/crossgrade special for those that also have Mac or are thinking of moving to Mac.

Thanks PG !

www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zfM9Y6TZuoY
$49? So I could use my Realtracks etc on a Mac? We have a few around the house as my wife and child are Mac users. Is that allowed? Perhaps I could use the Ipad or Mac Air live instead of my Windows Tablet? Interesting.
"Is that allowed?" if your wife will let you.
Upgrade from 2014 or earlier or crossgrade $69
If you have wav file RealTrack/Drums.
On your MacBook yes.
Ipad you would have to use the free Band in a Box iOS app
or save Biab songs to Videos and play on the iPad.

BIAB will ONLY come of age (as far as VST maturity) when it allows more than one VSTi to be used at the same time and then allows output/input to be freely operated between them. Until then steps like those noted in this thread are quite arcane and are really not suited to live use. Play around stuff at home maybe, but not in the performing world. JMO!
>>> BIAB will ONLY come of age (as far as VST maturity) when it allows more than one VSTi to be used at the same time

You can use more than one VSTi at a time. For example, one on each track, so up to 7 at once.

>> and then allows output/input to be freely operated between them
- not sure what you are referring to here.
I think he means you can't load a vsti under a vsti only vst's, you need to be able to send the midi out of a vsti into another. So say I want to send the midi out of RealGuitar to Kontakt.
I managed to load a vsti under it by renaming a vsti to an existing vst (fooling it), then it loaded but didn't receive the midi from the vsti above it.

Attached picture BB_RR_midi_out.jpg
I tried some vsti chainers/racks like VSTBoard vst that worked but not too well with the sync.
RapidComposerVSTi needs it as it sends the midi back to the host so you need a vsti under it.
Thanks. On reflection, I'll stay with Windows... grin No need to hassle the bosses.
Here is an easy solution:
Using Multiple VSTi Plugins on the same Track Win Mac 32 64
© PG Music Forums