PG Music Home
Posted By: stratocaster export wave files to RB - 04/17/16 01:29 PM
Having made a song where all tracks are wave and I make a sgu file to export into RB, only my realdrums is translated into wave, all other tracks show up as midi, what do I do wrong?

Strat
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: export wave files to RB - 04/17/16 01:51 PM
Not sure what you mean here but I think you're opening the SGU file in RB? If so then if the song is using a midi style what you're seeing is correct. What I think you did was save your individual tracks as wav which is ok but that doesn't change the underlying Biab file itself. It's still a SGU using a midi style.

In this case you don't open the Biab file in RB you use the Drag & Drop function to drag your converted wav files into RB. That's a different process from simply opening a Biab file.

Bob
Posted By: stratocaster Re: export wave files to RB - 04/17/16 02:21 PM
Hi Bob
Just to ensure that I get this right :-)

I have created a song in biab, all tracks are RT. How do I load these tracks into RB! And with what file extension (wave,SGU etc.) do I save my work?

Strat
Posted By: rharv Re: export wave files to RB - 04/17/16 03:26 PM
You should be able to drag them to the upper left corner (Drop section) and use them.

Hover your mouse over the WAV section of the Drop section in the upper left corner of BiaB.
This should reveal a Tip popup.

Freezing the tracks prior may help preserve the work.
Or just 'Open' the file in RB ..
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: export wave files to RB - 04/18/16 12:00 PM
Originally Posted By: stratocaster
only my realdrums is translated into wave, all other tracks show up as midi, what do I do wrong?

Are you asking about the same song? This quote is what I was basing my first answer on. If RB only has Real Drums and the rest of the tracks are midi then your song in Biab is not all RT's. You're using a midi style.

Rharv is correct if your song is in fact all RT's then it will open in RB just fine. No need to do the D&D. I was referring to a midi style where you used a synth for your individual instrument tracks and you rendered those tracks to audio be it wav, wma, whatever. The fact that you did the render does not change the basic SGU file. It's still using midi for the instruments so if you open that file in RB you see the RD's for drums and the other tracks are midi.

Bob
Posted By: dga Re: export wave files to RB - 04/18/16 12:39 PM

Just to ensure that I get this right :-)

I have created a song in biab, all tracks are RT.

Question 1: How do I load these tracks into RB! Answer :Real Tracks can open any BIAB file. In RB simply File> Open> Locate BIAB file and select.

Question 2: And with what file extension (wave,SGU etc.) do I save my work? Answer : Save your work with the .SEQ File extension.
dga
Posted By: stratocaster Re: export wave files to RB - 04/21/16 01:38 PM
I have succeeded saving my Biab RT files for the song as 6 separate wave files but have not found out yet how I can import these 6 files into RB in one go. I can import one file at a time but that's somewhat tedious!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: export wave files to RB - 04/21/16 05:42 PM
stratoscaster,

I'm curious, why do you want to drag and drop the files into RB rather than simply open the SGU/MGU file in RB? (It's much easier to simply open the file and have the song generate in RB.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: rharv Re: export wave files to RB - 04/21/16 08:46 PM
To speed up your current process (importing one at a time)
You can import all at once if needed ..
Open RB (new blank file)
Open Windows Explorer (or File Explorer) window
Navigate to folder with desired wav files
Select all the wav files by holding the CTRL key and clicking each one
Click/Hold/Drag the set of files onto a blank empty track in RB ..

Wait a moment for RB to do the work (you'll see each track come in)

The first wav goes to whatever track you dropped on
The rest go onto the next available blank track (if memory serves correct)
Posted By: dga Re: export wave files to RB - 04/21/16 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
To speed up your current process (importing one at a time)
You can import all at once if needed ..
Open RB (new blank file)
Open Windows Explorer (or File Explorer) window
Navigate to folder with desired wav files
Select all the wav files by holding the CTRL key and clicking each one
Click/Hold/Drag the set of files onto a blank empty track in RB ..

Wait a moment for RB to do the work (you'll see each track come in)

The first wav goes to whatever track you dropped on
The rest go onto the next available blank track (if memory serves correct)

Is this faster than just opening the BIAB file? I don't understand the necessity of creating the files in BIAB, via the DROP area. I guess I'm agreeing with Noel on this one.
Posted By: GHinCH Re: export wave files to RB - 04/22/16 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: dga
Is this faster than just opening the BIAB file? I don't understand the necessity of creating the files in BIAB, via the DROP area. I guess I'm agreeing with Noel on this one.

Don't know it it faster, it has definitely a different result.
Opening an sgu lets RB regenerate the song when you open it.
Importing wav lets the previous (and probably desired) result untouched.
Posted By: dga Re: export wave files to RB - 04/22/16 04:51 PM
Originally Posted By: GHinCH

I always Freeze the tracks in BIAB when I have a final version to bring into RB, are the tracks regenerated even then?

I will definitely investigate the drop method as I have not noticed the regeneration of my real tracks when opening them up in RB.
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: export wave files to RB - 04/22/16 05:01 PM
Originally Posted By: GHinCH

I always Freeze the tracks in BIAB when I have a final version to bring into RB, are the tracks regenerated even then?

Yes, at least the default is to regenerate and ignore the BIAB settings. I was disappointed when I brought a BIAB song into RB to try and fine tune it only to find I had to completely redo it!

Maybe there is a way to turn off this regeneration? I hope someone will chime in to say how to do it!!
Posted By: dga Re: export wave files to RB - 04/22/16 07:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
stratoscaster,

I'm curious, why do you want to drag and drop the files into RB rather than simply open the SGU/MGU file in RB? (It's much easier to simply open the file and have the song generate in RB.)

Regards,
Noel

If as others here are stating there is a difference between drag and drop and simply opening the BIAB file in RB, I am totally surprised.

I have experimented with it this way, using the bass as an example,
* drag the bass to the drag and drop area.
* Save the BIAB song.

* Open up real band,
* open the BIAB.sgu song file in RB
* then drag the Bass (drag and drop.wav) file into an empty track in RB.

*I solo the two Bass tracks and find no difference between the two tracks.
Posted By: rharv Re: export wave files to RB - 04/22/16 10:42 PM
I have succeeded saving my Biab RT files for the song as 6 separate wave files but have not found out yet how I can import these 6 files into RB in one go. I can import one file at a time but that's somewhat tedious!

FWIW
My reply above was to this post.
It is faster to to import the resulting wav files all at once (once you are at this point)as opposed to one at a time.
If you 'Open' the file in RB it is a different animal
/just wanted to clarify my post/

Whether it is worth the time/method used depends on whether you really wanted what you had (actual generated tracks) in BiaB, or just want the chords/style etc..
.. and whether you save as SEQ file and continue on in RB

The two programs are different and behave differently (and I LIKE this),
but understanding the why/how can indeed be challenging
© PG Music Forums