PG Music Home
Posted By: ajen2016 Question about Import Midi - 05/11/16 06:06 AM
Hello I have a question about "Import Midi" 

I tried to import my midi file into BIAB, previously I had arranged well for 4 tracks (Drums, Bass, Melody, Guitar) but without Solo on Intro & Interlude part. I successfully imported it to BIAB's Melody track. 
 My purpose is to add Realtrack phrase on Intro & Interlude 'cause I think it's cool, but still need to preserve all MIDI parts which I created... 
 But why I only heard only one track (the very top track in SEQ) played when I playback the Melody track? I did assign it in Melody/Multi(16): 
1st trial : Ch-1 Drum; Ch-2 Bass; Ch-3 Melody, Ch-4: Guitar) --> only Drum is heard (not really drum sound, then I assigned it to Ch-10)
2nd trial : Ch-2 Bass; Ch-3 Melody, Ch-4: Guitar, Ch-10 Drum) --> only Bass is heard this time. 

I checked the below link in Youtube but I cannot get the result as it did , what's wrong with that? (If you think Re-channeling is the solution but why I heard Ch-2 playing in 2nd trial 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OejFpi4TjIQ 

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/11/16 06:46 AM
Hi ajen,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Does the midi file play before you start loading in Realtracks? That is, after you first load the midi file into BIAB (without tweaking anything), does the file play ok? Also, when you loaded the midi did you use 'open' or 'import'?

When working with midi, I've always found it easier to open the midi file in Realband. In RB, I have the option to open each midi channel on its own individual track. From there, I can easily assign and reassign midi channels to customise the playback.

Realband also lets me generate Realtracks just like BIAB - it's a little more versatile actually.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: ajen2016 Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/11/16 11:10 PM
Hello, Noel,

Thanks for quick reply.

I first load midi file into BIAB (use "open" instead of "import") and play it, found there is only one track can be heard. I haven't assign any Realtracks yet.

Sorry I am fully unfamiliar with Realband..so if I import (or open) a midi file in RB, the default tracks (bass, drums, piano...etc just like BIAB) will also appear in Track view? I need these default track to generate the Intro & Interlude by loading Realtracks.

Anyway I will try RB at first, Thx again:)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/12/16 03:09 AM
ajen,

When you did your backing, did you use Realtracks? If so, the reason you might be hearing one sound is because Realtracks in the backing would not have saved as midi (they are audio files and BIAB doesn't covert them to midi).

Did you create and save a songfile for the backing you made? If so, simply load that into BIAB. There's no need to convert to midi and load the midi. If, on the other hand, you obtained the midi from the net, it might or might not work; that depends on how it was created.

Lastly, if the midi is multitrack, when you open it in Realband, the midi tracks will load onto individual Realband tracks.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: ajen2016 Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/12/16 05:23 AM
Noel,

My midi file is generated from the arrangement in my keyboard (Korg triton), not from BIAB songs. This midi file is self-made, not from the net, neither.
As you said, some midi files from the net might not work, depends on how it was created...so I guess my midi file generated from Korg workstation won't work, but might work if I made it in Sonar, ProAudio or Cubase..etc..how is it possible for that?
Anyway I will try my file in RB later.

Thanx, ajen
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/12/16 08:25 AM
Thanks for the extra information, ajen.

If you want to send me the midi file as an email attachment, I'm more than happy to load it and see if I can resolve the issue. You'll find my email address if you click on "Noel96" to the left of this post. From there select "View Profile".

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/13/16 02:09 PM
ajen2016,

As Noel said, welcome to the forum!

What file type are you selecting when you save the midi sequences you build on your Korg? Most keyboards will let you use either a file type that is brand or model specific or you can choose standard file types like .SMF or .MID. BiaB can import standard midi files but can not import brand or model specific midi files.
Posted By: ajen2016 Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/14/16 06:37 AM
Noel,

OK,I have sent my midi files to your mailbox, thanks.
However, today I loaded my midi file into Realband, the result is fine, I think I will use Realband to import midi from now on.

ajen
Posted By: ajen2016 Re: Question about Import Midi - 05/14/16 06:42 AM
Hello, Jim:

I am sure the file type is .mid, not any other keyboard specific format. At least there is no any problem when I open it with Cubase.
Anyway I think I will use Realband to import midi files, Thanks!

ajen
© PG Music Forums