PG Music Home
Posted By: johnnyzell BIAB does it again!! - 07/23/16 03:17 PM
I told Dr. Gannon that I thought the style; "Crooner" was the BEST music tech innovation I'd ever heard. Well, with the Django guitar solo added for this Satchmo classic, I believe my comment is really (shall we say) amplified. ENJOY, and thanks BIAB for the most innovating software in the world!

https://soundcloud.com/user-961555398/sleepytime-down-south-renderwav
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/23/16 04:46 PM
Very nice Johnny. Hard to distinguish you from the RT's, but not impossible. Your tone and phrasing stands out. Thanks for the share.
Posted By: jford Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 09:00 AM
Really enjoyed that, Johnny!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 10:37 AM
You have a gorgeous sound, Johnny.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 01:02 PM
That was great.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 01:12 PM
NOW THAT IS MUSIC!
Larry
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 03:38 PM
For anyone who might not know, Johnny played with the Lawrence Welk Orchestra. He's one fine player.
Posted By: DrDan Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 04:12 PM
I get a cable station which runs the show. I see Johnny there often - forever young in the reruns. grin
Posted By: Graham Martin Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 09:45 PM
Excellent Johnny and definitely my kind of music cool

I have tried to produce the same kind of recordings myself with my trombone but without achieving the same excellent sound as yourself.

I was wondering if you could detail how you made a recording. What kind of microphones, connected to what and how? Do you use earphones when recording the trumpet track? Do you use RealBand to enhance or balance any of the tracks? It seems to me it is the detail of connections that holds the answers and you obviously have them.

I agree with your comments about the backing and said the same thing on The Trombone Forum. However, I had to use a midi trombone to illustrate and I would much prefer to play my own trombone over the backing:

https://soundcloud.com/grah-bonejazz/please-be-kind

"Please Be Kind" was my Band-in-a-Box sample, which a lot of my trombone internet mates think is absolutely a great backing. Several of them purchased Band-in-a-Box as a result.

Also here is another internet mate of mine who plays the most fantastic bass trombone to Band-in-a-Box backings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7_nXTlgtMg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l8WyD_1aGc&feature=youtu.be

I really am very interested in your detailed recording technique. Pretty please! smile
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 10:47 PM
Johnny,
That is great playing! Thanks for posting.
Posted By: johnnyzell Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 10:51 PM
Yes, and thank you for writing, Graham.

I do use earphones to record and I use a Samson C01U USB Mic. I have a Dell ALL-In-One computer and I record to its hardrive while playing the backgrounds right from BIAB. I like to balance everything right from the BIAB interface and use its reverb and panning utilities.

BTW, Bass Trombonist George Roberts of Sinatra recording fame, used to put a mic almost DOWN THE BELL of his horn to record. That way, he could play really soft and let the engineer control do what he wanted with the perfectly isolated sound from the horn. That's how all those Sinatra Bass Trombone recordings were done. We used to "kid" George about "losing" his horn to that microphone someday. We all got a laugh at that, but Sinatra got the sound he wanted using this wonderful technique! So, I agree with Dr. Gannon . . . "Have fun"! JZ
Posted By: johnnyzell Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/24/16 10:58 PM
Thank you, Peter! BTW, someone asked "How did I play along with the RT's"? I didn't! What you hear on the recording is PURE RT's with NO enhancement. They're great by themselves!
Posted By: LtKojak Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/25/16 05:39 AM
What RT is the "Crooner"? I have BIAB 2016 but I don't seem to find it? Or was included on the $ 49.00 package I didn't get?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/25/16 09:36 AM
I don't think it came on the Bonus pack

Crooner is on Set# RT 236 (Cocktail Jazz Horns set)

Which package did you purchase?
Posted By: LtKojak Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/25/16 10:11 AM
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Upgrade from 2014 MegaPak.

Don't tell me : it's not included, isn't it? cry
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/25/16 10:47 AM
Originally Posted By: LtKojak
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Upgrade from 2014 MegaPak.

Don't tell me : it's not included, isn't it? cry

Well, I actually went looking for it in more detail for you and found that there is an omission on the PGM web site (which I've reported to Support). The packages that this RT is included with are not listed cry

Attached picture 2016-07-25_22-48-58.jpg
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: BIAB does it again!! - 07/25/16 10:54 AM
However, if you want to part with some Lira/Euros, you can purchase Real Tracks Jazz Pack Volume 12
which contains the #236 RT Set
© PG Music Forums