PG Music Home
I got the new BIAB 2017 Everything package on Wednesday and installed it yesterday. It was probably the most difficult install of BIAB I've ever done and I've had this program for at least 20 years. But I'm not saying the problem was related to BIAB...actually I don't know, but I DO know it took me nearly 6 HOURS to get it installed correctly and working properly.

The culprit, it seems, was NORTON ANTI-VIRUS, provided by Xfinity and updated regularly. I don't normally have antivirus software on my music computers since they aren't allowed to even know there's an internet much less access it. But the computer on which I installed BIAB 2017 does access the web for uploading to SoundCloud, accessing the BIAB forums, and keeping BIAB updated primarily. Here is the problem:

Norton AV thinks the sforzando SFZ Synth installer is a virus and deletes it from the BIAB hard drive!!! It happened twice during the install on two different computers so I know it's the culprit. Simply turning off Norton during the install (I've never had to do this before)will not work. Because when you turn it back on it will find the file...and delete it.

You must EXCLUDE the sforzando SFZ Synth installer file from AV scans inside Norton first, which is easy enough to do. It would probably be a good idea to just EXCLUDE any folder that has BIAB files. There were other BIAB files that were deleted after the install but I was able to restore and exclude them. Not so with the sforzando SFZ Synth installer. I had to download a fresh copy from the PG Music site and copy it to the BIAB hard drive.

But all of the above was the easy part. I'm guessing NORTON compromised the entire install process as I discovered later that REAL TRACKS 254 - 277 did NOT install during the process. I used "What Add-Ons Do I Have" in BIAB to check the install and the Download Manager to confirm this and download and install the missing REAL TRACKS.

I was tempted to blow NORTON to the moon after this fiasco and I may still get my revenge today. Yeah, I'm nursing a grudge! Nobody messes with my BIAB! NOBODY! cool
I am not sure what "Xfinity" is and why you got Norton from there.

However, my Norton software from Symantic (www.norton.com) doesn't complain not delete anything during the BiaB 2017 download and install. Each file was checked as it was downloaded using DownLoadThemAll with Firefox. Including the Jbridge software I purchased. So it isn't the real Norton from Symantic problem.
Thanks for the report. Something to keep in mind if you use Norton is to make sure your definitions are up-to-date, and this might reduce those false positives. We regularly submit files to Norton for whitelisting, but it still seems quite fond of deleting .exe's from the USB drive.
Originally Posted By: Tim Cook
I am not sure what "Xfinity" is and why you got Norton from there.

However, my Norton software from Symantic (www.norton.com) doesn't complain not delete anything during the BiaB 2017 download and install. Each file was checked as it was downloaded using DownLoadThemAll with Firefox. Including the Jbridge software I purchased. So it isn't the real Norton from Symantic problem.

Hi Tim,

Xfinity is Comcast. Norton Security Suite is included with Comcast internet. The files are updated every time we boot up so it's not the version.

BB
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Thanks for the report. Something to keep in mind if you use Norton is to make sure your definitions are up-to-date, and this might reduce those false positives. We regularly submit files to Norton for whitelisting, but it still seems quite fond of deleting .exe's from the USB drive.

Hi Andrew,

As I posted above we update the definitions every time we boot up. But, good to know that you've experienced this with Symantec before as it validates my report.

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

Over the years, Norton AV has created a number of problems. At one stage, it used delete BBW.EXE and caused grief for a number of people
I'm in the same boat. Long time user and this is the worst so far...

I have Xfinity Norton as well and have been fighting this same install issue. The Norton provider shouldn't be the root cause if it is updated from Norton...

PGM tech support had me d/l install package to UltraPak drive I purchased. Seemed to work until I transferred .sty files to that drive and now back to Norton eating the dllelastiquePro3.dll which appears to want to glue all this together. Norton thinks there is a ws.reputation.1 file hiding in there so deletes it.

I've scanned and re-scanned every drive to make sure there is no malware.

This doesn't make much sense.....The Xfinifty Norton causing the problem? Won't run without it and I'm not paying for a separate Norton or shutting Norton on and off everytime I want to use BIAB. And why would an .sty file cause Norton to freak out?
Not pleased with the whole adventure this time around. And tech saying that Norton doesn't like our files isn't a resolution.
Also a long time user with the same problem. My Norton anti-virus is part of my CenturyLink internet service. I have lost track of how many .exe and .dll files Norton has removed. I have not been able to use the program yet.
Suggest you put \BB folder into the Exclude section.
I've had some really strange behaviour from Norton Internet Security both this year and last year. I have the same standalone version installed on my desktop and notepad computers and their definitions are up-to-date. Both computers are running Windows 10.

Last year I used my desktop computer to download all the files with no problems. After each download Norton popped up to tell me that the file was safe. I then installed everything I had downloaded onto my Desktop computer with no interference from Norton. However, not so when I tried to install the same files on my Notepad. Norton jumped in and deleted each installation file telling me that it had that "ws.reputation.1" file referred to above. I think from memory I had to disable Norton before I could install the files.

This year was also trouble-free on my desktop machine with Norton telling me the downloaded files were safe and most of the files installed OK on the notepad except for one of the real style packs, I can't remember which one. Fortunately, this time instead of simply deleting the file as it had done last year, it warned me what it was about to do and gave me the opportunity to override it.

I can't explain why I persevere with Norton year after year.
I don't mess with Norton AV at all. Nothing but bad experiences. Windows 10's Windows Defender works well. In addition, I use SpyHunter 4. This thing monitors live what's happening and remembers if you allow certain applications (such as BIAB, or anything from PGMusic) is allowed to be executed on your machine. Had no problems - ever (since converting to Win 10). This combo seems to really work well.
Originally Posted By: DEddy
Suggest you put \BB folder into the Exclude section.

Yep...that's the solution. Do it BEFORE you download anything or even plug in your BIAB drive. Then there should be no problem. I've also experienced this recently when downloading a REAPER update.

Thanks,
Bob
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music

Andrew,

Since Norton seems to be the bad actor in all of these posts, perhaps a notice from PGM somewhere to customers about this up front to avoid all the problems. It's pretty simple to EXCLUDE the BB folder or any folder where downloads are placed...if you know about it beforehand.

Bob
© PG Music Forums