PG Music Home
Posted By: John Vreeland sforzando no sound - 12/16/16 12:46 AM
I go through this every time I upgrade BIAB. MIDI tracks never have any audio for some reason. The level meter is moving on the track but no audio is coming out for some reason. GM is also dead quiet.

It's really frustrating that it never "just works."
Posted By: Noel96 Re: sforzando no sound - 12/16/16 03:39 AM
John,

In relation to Sforzando, it's not a general midi synth. PG Music have included it so that HI-Q midi sounds can be played with Midi Supertracks.

If you want to get midi styles playing, you will need to assign Coyote WT (or equivalent) as the default VSTi/DXi synth. (If Sforzando is presently assigned as the default soft synth, because it is not general midi, nothing will be heard.)

Go into "Prefs | Midi driver" and set #2 - #5 as shown below. See if this helps.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: BLjazzsax Re: sforzando no sound - 04/28/21 10:15 PM
'It's really frustrating that it never "just works." '

Like the man wrote.
Here at pgmusic.com searching, trying to get the danged silent thing to play.
Time wasted... yet again.

Switched from 2008 version a couple of months ago.
BIAB 2021 is buggy, finicky, unreliable.
Never know what's not going to work next.
Just wasted an hour trying to get it to play again.
Won't even drive my midi keyboard via USB2
Won't play via Coyote or Windows Wavetable synth
Reset to factory doesn't help.
Buggy buggy buggy.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: sforzando no sound - 04/29/21 07:24 AM
I sympathize with everyone's problems but having had a few myself, with me its usually operator error not the program.

choose the right synth, set the drivers right and things should sort themselves out.

BIAB 2021 certainly has its share of bugs but the basic program works fine for creating songs. the bugs are mainly in the 'complicated bit' which is better done - for me anyway - in RealBand

maybe if you describe your problems in detail in simple terms we can walk you through the things to check.
Posted By: Chantelle - PG Music Re: sforzando no sound - 04/29/21 09:59 AM
Please go to Options | MIDI/Audio Driver Setup. Make sure you have the correct input drivers selected for your MIDI keyboard, if you are using one. Usually the output driver is Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, but it can be something different if you want the MIDI data sent elsewhere. Make sure the two check boxes on the right hand side are checked, they are called 'Use VSTi/DXi Synth" and "Route MIDI Thru to MIDI Driver". Click the VSTi/DXi Synth button bellow the checkboxes and make sure CoyoteWT is selected. You could alternatively use TTS-1, as mentioned in this forum post: https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=652250&page=1.

Then test if you can hear the MIDI sound. If you click the Run Driver Wizard button, it will open a new dialog and you can try the Piano Test button at the bottom of this dialog.

If Coyote WT Synth is not showing in the VSTi/DXi Synth window, please go to Help | Utilities | Install Coyote Wavetable Synth.

More info on troubleshooting no sound can be found here: https://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_bbw_nosound.htm

Attached picture Audio_MIDI_Driver_Setup_Coyote.png
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: sforzando no sound - 04/30/21 10:34 PM
First thing, why have you titled the thread “sforzando” no sound?

Sforzando is an add on synth that supplies sounds for about 2% of the MIDI tracks. The other 98% will be the default synth, which is Coyote GM. That works by default, and if you aren’t hearing MIDI, you should confirm that it is set as the default using Coyote as Chantelle from PG Music has described above with a screenshot.

There isn’t any known problem with MIDI in 2021 (or 2020 for that matter), so something must be not set correctly in your setup.

First step, does your menu - options - midi driver look like the picture in Chantelle’s message above?
© PG Music Forums