PG Music Home
Posted By: Moshe13us BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 11:14 AM
Hello,
I mainly use BiaB with NI Kontakt sampler as VSTi
Problem is I (too) often get the "out of memory" nag message, since the sampled instruments are more and more RAM-hungry. This problem doesn't happen with low-end VSTis like Sampletank or Aria player, since the soundbanks are more manageable.
But is that trade-off between quality/realism and resources unavoidable with BiaB? or should I export the tracks done in BiaB to another DAW that could manage several VSTis ?
Mo.
Posted By: DrDan Re: BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: Moshe13us

...or should I export the tracks done in BiaB to another DAW that could manage several VSTis ?
Mo.

Bingo! grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Originally Posted By: Moshe13us

...or should I export the tracks done in BiaB to another DAW that could manage several VSTis ?
Mo.

Bingo! grin

MusicStudent beat me to the punch. But are you running a 32 or a 64 bit system? If you are running a 32 bit system you will still run into the memory shortage thing regardless of what DAW you use. That is why I had to go to a 64 bit system.

If you have a 64 bit system there are a number of excellent DAWs out there. I use Sonar but others use Reaper, Cubase etc. If you ask for opinions on which to use you will get a ton of different and sometimes confusing answers. Just try the demos of each and pick the one the best suits your workflow.

Good luck and I hope this helped.
Posted By: jford Re: BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 12:24 PM
Or make sure you have a lot of RAM in your computer and use the 64-bit version of Kontakt via jbridge (which can address more memory).

I know some of the Kontakt libraries can easily top 1.5 - 2 GB, just for one instrument, much less multiple tracks of instruments.

As you have indicated, I would probably rather go to a DAW, and even there would bounce the Kontakt MIDI tracks to audio tracks once I had them sounding the way I wanted them (to avoid the memory overhead).
Posted By: DEddy Re: BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 01:14 PM
Mo stated in another post.

"config: Win7 SP1 64bits, CPU i7 x4 3.70GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 SSDs, M-Audio FastTrack Ultra "

DE
Posted By: Moshe13us Re: BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 01:39 PM
@jford : I guess you faced the same concerns since
"make sure you have a lot of RAM in your computer and use the 64-bit version of Kontakt via jbridge (which can address more memory)." is precisely what I do.
Must we conclude that BiaB can only work with low-end resources-friendly samplers or your work should be masterized with a specific DAW (what BiaB precisely allows very conveniently).
Mo.
Posted By: jford Re: BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 01:49 PM
I have generally only had problems with the extremely large, memory intensive Kontakt libraries. I can generally use Kontakt okay with the smaller libraries.
Posted By: Moshe13us Re: BiaB &/or Kontakt ? - 12/29/16 02:12 PM
@jford : currently, for example, my Kontakt is loaded with 2 tiny SF2s (jazz guitar + Jazz flute), the Cinesamples Giant Piano and a Strings section Library; It's the quasi-maximum burden I can afford with BiaB. If realism is the name of the game, you should (I play mostly jazz/latin music) pay attention to these 2 latest voices.
I try to avoid Fx plugins, but unfortunately, some instruments are still unloadable, due to their size...
Mo.
© PG Music Forums