PG Music Home
Posted By: Wysocki How to setup LONG repeats? - 07/21/09 01:24 AM
I'm trying to use BIAB primarily as a drum machine and I think the Composer is the tool that I want to use. I'm playing keyboard, and a couple of friends play horns. I'd like to be able to select a style/tempo in BIAB then hit a key to start a drum style, then later in the song select an alternate style, or an ending.

The Composer works great in that I can assign a key to select the phrase or ending that I want. The downside is that I have to remember to hit a loop key after I select a phrase. So now, as a workaround, I want to create a phrase that repeats for a LONG time (like maybe 50 loops) before it dies. Unfortunately, the repeats in BIAB don't let me go that long. I can only create a song up to 255 bars. This is way to short - A 4/4 jazz tune at 240bpm is less than 3 minutes!

As an Ideal solution, there'd be a way in Composer to indicate a "switch then loop" command. Outside of that, a (relatively) endless repeat is needed. But the repeats count as bars and we only have 255. Does anyone else have this problem?
Posted By: Mac Re: How to setup LONG repeats? - 07/21/09 01:55 AM
You can set BIAB to repeat those 255 bars up to 40 times...
Posted By: Wysocki Re: How to setup LONG repeats? - 07/21/09 03:36 AM
But only as multiple choruses, right? Which still means I have no way of getting a few long phrases lined up that I can trigger with Conductor. Only the whole song between the intro and ending would repeat sequentially.
Posted By: Mac Re: How to setup LONG repeats? - 07/21/09 12:46 PM
Conductor can allow you to repeaat one chorus, a couple of other options.

You are trying to use the program for something that it was not actually designed to do, so you are going to have to find workarounds in order to make it happen.

--Mac
Posted By: Wysocki Re: How to setup LONG repeats? - 07/21/09 08:24 PM
Quote:

You are trying to use the program for something that it was not actually designed to do...

Mac:
I agree that I'll have to find a workaround for now, but I'd argue that I AM using Conductor exactly what it was designed for: realtime control of song flow. I'm just saying that I'd like the ability to combine two key commands "C" (jump to next part) and "c" (continuous loop) with one keypress. Otherwise, Conductor's just about perfect to have BIAB perform with me as would jamming with a live band. I'm considering just writing an AutoIt script to run BIAB and feed it keystrokes to do my willing.
Posted By: Mac Re: How to setup LONG repeats? - 07/21/09 08:59 PM
Yes, a Scripting Program might just do the trick for ya.

Or a programmable USB switch, too...

--Mac
© PG Music Forums