PG Music Home
Posted By: rolfeilert BiaB - Working as an arranger keyboard - 07/28/09 07:01 PM
We have a discussion at gearslutz , if BiaB can read chords in realtime "without entering anything before you start", but "creating chords on the fly" , just like ordinary "arranger keyboards" been doing for decades.

Is this true/false, and how do preset the software for this task ?

thanks for reading this
Rolf
and off course ......... not entering anything during session , except from "new chords on the midi-keyboard" , and notifying breaks/endings , etc
Completely false. Biab is great software but you have to enter the chords, breaks, create the ending and pick a style first before you can play the song. The Conductor feature does give some real time control by allowing section looping, jumping to different parts but that has nothing to do with you're basic question.
I have a high end Korg arranger, the Pa1x Pro, and I've been using Biab for years. They both have plusses and minuses. The big minus of the keyboard is trying to get it to pick up fast chord changes on something with a quick tempo. It's basically impossible. For that, I use Biab to create a midi file and the Korg reads that fine plus I can still use the arranger functions along with the midi.
Google OneManBand. It's software that allows a regular midi keyboard to act like an arranger when hooked up to your PC using Yamaha styles. I've never used it but it looks interesting.

Bob
Do the new app called Realband , have this functionality , or are you using software for live performing that emulates an arranger keyboard?

Thanks for your input.
No, Real Band is a combination of Biab and a 48 track sequencer. If I need the arranger function for a gig, I would use the Korg. Having said that, I have used Biab with a laptop as well and it works fine just not like an arranger. I have all the songs laid out beforehand and then use the Conductor. The cool thing here is all the Real Tracks and Real Drums. They sound awesome live, much better than any synth including my Korg and it's not bad. Real Tracks are real players and you can hear the difference big time. If Korg had the Real Tracks, I'd be in 7th heaven. Another classic example of no one thing being the complete solution.

Bob
Posted By: MikeK Re: BiaB - Working as an arranger keyboard - 07/28/09 07:41 PM
Quote:

If Korg had the Real Tracks, I'd be in 7th heaven. Another classic example of no one thing being the complete solution.

Bob

Hey Bob, no kidding. I have a Korg as well and happy with the sounds... some of them are pretty good and not all THAT MIDI sounding, but having RT's and RD's in a Korg would make my day. As far as the "no one thing being the complete solution" - I agree ... there is no such thing. Must be a conspiracy against artists, huh? LOL!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Mac Re: BiaB - Working as an arranger keyboard - 07/28/09 08:57 PM
No PGMusic product to date can be used to emulate an arranger keyboard in realtime.

--Mac
It should be much easier to "record" a tune if BiaB could read chords in realtime, its very strange they haven't added this property!!!

I will take a peek at "OneManBand" and see if I can save some money, instead of buying an arranger keyboard.
Posted By: Mac Re: BiaB - Working as an arranger keyboard - 07/29/09 02:30 PM
BIAB can indeed interpret a chord played on the MIDI keyboard and enter it onto the chord grid, but it can't do that while the song is playing at the same time.

--Mac
Now that we've answered your question, tell us what you're trying to do. It sounds like you want to get a set up for live performance, is that right? If so, there's many threads here about that. Also what type of player are you and what style of music are you interested in?
Nothing wrong with using Biab to create an MP3 song list to play with. A top grade arranger keyboard is around $3,000 new while Biab is a few hundred and with the RT's sounds great. I bought my Korg used for $1,300. That can still be a lot if you're on a tight budget.
If you decide to try out One Man Band, let us know how it works out, the owner of that website will post here occasionally.

Bob
© PG Music Forums