PG Music Home
Posted By: pgodfrin Is there such a thing as a "March" style? - 04/01/17 02:36 PM
Like a good ole John Phillip Sousa March...
There are two midi styles: MARCH_12 & MARCH_16.

MARCH_12.STY. March 12/8 Style
All MIDI. Quintet. Tempo=120 (80-180)
Instruments: M-Tuba, M-Brass Section, M-Clarinet, M-Glockenspiel
M1 Standard Drum Kit
M59: Tuba
M62: Brass Section
M72: Clarinet
M10: Glockenspiel
Memo: This is a Big Marching Band style featuring Brass Section, Clarinet, and Glockenspiel. It is based on a triplet (12/8) march style.

MARCH_16.STY. March 16 Style
All MIDI. Quintet. Tempo=120 (80-180)
Instruments: M-Tuba, M-Brass Section, M-Clarinet, M-Glockenspiel
M1 Standard Drum Kit
M59: Tuba
M62: Brass Section
M72: Clarinet
M10: Glockenspiel
Memo: This Big Marching Band style is based on 16th notes, rather than triplets. It also features Brass Section, Clarinet and Glockenspiel.
I went into the style picker, typed March into the style filter, and got 18 hits in a wide variety of MIDI and RealTracks, including ones labeled as jazz, classical and country. Auditioning a few of them showed me that the written descriptions do not tell the full story; you just have to preview the style and listen to each. For example, the two Jim listed as categorized under 'Classical, Country' (whatever that means).

I had a look also, I think the two that Jim suggested are the only ones close to Sousa's work.

Others show up in the list because of the word 'march' in the description, e.g. 'When the Saints Go Marching In' and 'Wedding March'
Posted By: rharv Re: Is there such a thing as a "March" style? - 04/01/17 09:47 PM
It's April now, March is gone .. though I suspect a March style is pretty springy
smile
Too funny, were it an April fool's joke, but alas, I meant it...

Any brass band, or marching band styles?

phil
Originally Posted By: pgodfrin

Any brass band, or marching band styles?

The two Marching band styles already mentioned are available.

MARCH_12.STY. March 12/8 Style
MARCH_16.STY. March 16 Style

They don't suit?

Most other searches for Brass are swing type arrangements (Basie, Ellington)
Thanks, I had the Realstyles filter on, didn't see it.
phil
Great, thanks for letting us know.
© PG Music Forums