PG Music Home
Posted By: Westside Steve Transpose later in the song - 07/08/17 07:27 PM
How would I go about transposing the last verse and outro of a song? I didn't see a key change in bar settings like there would be for a Tempo change?
Just type in the chords one step up I'm guessing.
Thank you.
WSS
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Transpose later in the song - 07/08/17 07:56 PM
HI
Go to edit menu / transpose /

You can make you selection here transpose from, for number of bars.

You may just transpose down or up 1 semitone or # semitones

It will be easier to unfold the song first, so that you dont get a key change on repeat choruses.
Mike

Posted By: Noel96 Re: Transpose later in the song - 07/08/17 10:10 PM
Steve,

If you decide to type in the chords, use the "Key signature" option in 'Bar Settings' to set the key signature.

I've found that setting the correct key signature often helps generate better chord progressions (especially with soloists).

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture key signature bar settings.JPG
Posted By: fiddler2007 Re: Transpose later in the song - 07/09/17 03:55 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Steve, .. use the "Key signature" option in 'Bar Settings' to set the key signature. I've found that setting the correct key signature often helps generate better chord progressions (especially with soloists) ....
Good tip, thanks bro ! -F
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Transpose later in the song - 07/09/17 04:48 AM
Originally Posted By: fiddler2007
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Steve, .. use the "Key signature" option in 'Bar Settings' to set the key signature. I've found that setting the correct key signature often helps generate better chord progressions (especially with soloists) ....
Good tip, thanks bro ! -F

Pleasure fiddler!

There have been some chromatic chord progressions that I've used where I've had a temporary key change and to avoid getting notes outside that temporary key, I've used Bar Settings to set the key for those two or three bars.

For example: In one song I can recall, I had the progression...

(i) Bm7-E7-A then (ii) Em7-A7-D then (iii) F#m7-B7-E and then lastly (iv) F#7-B7

From a theory perspective, this progression is really iim7-V7-I in the keys of...

(i) A major, (ii) D major, (iii) E major and then (iv) II7-V7 in E major.

To get the soloist and background Realtracks to play correctly I had to set the keys A, D, E.

Hope this helps explain what I mean.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Westside Steve Re: Transpose later in the song - 07/09/17 01:16 PM
Thank you! Easier than I thought.
WSS
© PG Music Forums