PG Music Home
When working within Band-in-a-Box, saving the file can be done by clicking on the [Save] button, or choose Save or Save Special from the File menu, or press F2, or Ctrl+S etc... when you open this dialog, you'll notice that the "Save in" location is usually the location of the file you opened last within the program. We often recommend to program users to create their own Projects folder for their creations, outside of the "BB" folder that Band-in-a-Box (and its files) reside in.

If you're running a hard drive version of Band-in-a-Box, you can still create your own Projects folder... that way you don't lose these projects if your hard drive is lost or damaged.

After all, it's a HORRIBLE feeling when you've lost all those projects!

What about you... What's your Band-in-a-Box setup?
And to add to it, your projects folder can even be on a different hard drive than the BIAB program.
I set the option "at program bootup..." to "don't open song or style" and enable the checkbox to "Bootup in the directory of the last session".

I create a new folder for each new song project on the computer desktop. The first time I open Band-n-a-Box I will save the project file into the song project folder.

The program will always save the song file in the correct song folder after that first save. Using these settings the program also begins each new song project with the default, ZZJAZZ.STY, style.

When I use other music related programs the files created by those programs are stored in the relevant song project folder. Song project file folders stay on the desktop until a project is finished. When a song is finished the song project folder is archived.

Some folders have been on the desktop for a looooong time. I think finished is a relative term because I actually rarely finish a song project. blush

Attached picture File Options.jpg
My workflow is very similar. On a different hard drive I have folders named BiaB and RB. I place every song in the appropriate folder. If I have different versions of a song I label them songtitle-1, songtitle-2 etc.

I also have three backup hard drives. Two are here and one is in my safe deposit box. I have a small fortune wrapped up in software, not to mention my guitars and basses.
© PG Music Forums