PG Music Home
Posted By: gone coastal Two chords within one beat - 12/08/17 11:53 AM
I want to put two chords within one beat. I can't figure out how to do it in 'Chord settings'. I want two chords within the third beat: F-Bb-F/C7-F. How do I pull that off?
Thanks.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Two chords within one beat - 12/08/17 12:33 PM
The best way to do that is to use several steps in your recording process.

I'm not sure that BB can actually do that internally at this point.... it's one chord per beat with 4 beats to the measure. You're needing eighth note resolution and that's not a feature....yet.

The steps mentioned would be to create in BB and then move to the DAW to do the audio editing as needed using the tools available.

If you take the project into a DAW of some sort, you can edit the places where you need 2 chords to a quarter note beat using eighth note resolution and/or, use MIDI to get you there.

If I was to do that, that's how I would approach it.

Others may have other solutions.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Two chords within one beat - 12/08/17 12:35 PM
BIAB is limited to four chords per measure.

You could have a chord on beats one, two and three, and a chord on beat three-and (using a push from beat four), but then you couldn't have one on beat four.

There are several workarounds:

- Fill in the missing chord by MIDI.

- Expand the duration of the song to twice as long, then adjust the tempo and find appropriate styles. This is easier now that BIAB has half and double time options on all RealTracks and RealDrums.

- Purchase a third market product, expanded styles, from Notes Norton at nortonmusic.com that was designed for this purpose.
Posted By: jford Re: Two chords within one beat - 12/08/17 12:38 PM
You can only do that if you don't need the chord to change on the 4th beat. You can push the chord on the 4th beat to the left by an 8th (or a 16th note).

BIAB supports four chords per beat (it's been asked for years to get at least 8th not resolution, but it hasn't happened). You can push a chord to the left, but then you lose that chord slot to then play on the beat.

There are some workarounds. You can treat two bars as once bar and double tempos; however, this only works for some styles and instruments. Also, on the MIDI side, Bob Norton offers some "expanded" styles that do this for you (using two bars as if they were one). That gives you effectively 1/8th note resolution, but notation won't look right. It will sound right, however. Unfortunately, there are only a handful of these styles.

Better would be for PGMusic to support 8th note resolution natively, but many of us are still waiting.

If you want to know how to pushes, just enter "pushes" in the help file search field, or search for it in the PDF user manual.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Two chords within one beat - 12/08/17 02:50 PM
This is funny. We need to write our own FAQ and point to “standard answer #4” to save time!
Posted By: jford Re: Two chords within one beat - 12/08/17 05:53 PM
Yes, we should. Probably the most asked question and the most requested feature.
Posted By: gone coastal Re: Two chords within one beat - 12/10/17 11:44 AM
Thanks for your help.
© PG Music Forums