PG Music Home
Posted By: DEddy What is SFZ? - 12/12/17 12:56 PM
Missed out on 2017 upgrade.

Briefly explain the purpose of SFZ.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: What is SFZ? - 12/12/17 02:58 PM
Great quick explanation here....

http://ariaengine.com/overview/sfz-format/

If you are familiar with Sound Fonts or Sample Tank, it is basically the same thing. You have a collection of Samples, and the SFZ format tells the player how to handle them.

I think it works better in BiaB than Sample Tank did, and PG has already transferred the HiQ Sounds to the SFZ format. cool

Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: What is SFZ? - 12/12/17 02:59 PM
The short version

In the context of BIAB – the free Sforzando replaces the free Sampletank2 for use for by PG BIAB Hi-Q sounds, and Sforzando program uses files of the format .sfz: Sforzando does NOT use SampleTank file formats.

The slightly longer version

Sforzando is a FREE soundfont player – could have downloaded anytime you wanted –didn’t need PG via BIAB to give it to you. For the most part soundfonts come in two formats .SF2 and .SFZ - .sfz being a more robust format (and actually human editable – if you know what you are doing). Soundfonts go back to SOUNDBLASTER sound card days

You can google Sforzando, soundfonts, .sfz’s and .sf2’s etc.

Btu here is one to get you started
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundFont
Posted By: DEddy Re: What is SFZ? - 12/12/17 03:03 PM
Thanks guys for the quickie explaination.

I do remember Soundfonts from Soundblaster days.
Posted By: Teunis Re: What is SFZ? - 12/13/17 06:38 AM
It is a format used by quite a number of sample player synths. It specifies how the samples are handled by the synth. I have the book by Simon Cann and there are several chapters on sfz and associate opcodes even as a study it is complicated.

Tony
Posted By: Teunis Re: What is SFZ? - 12/13/17 06:58 AM
I think maybe I should explain a bit better with an example. I wanted to be able to add bits I can no longer handle using my own telecaster. I had to be able write the part in midi format. I played a series of notes which I recorded. Then created an sfz file which I could then tell Dimension Pro to find. Then I could use Dimension Pro to read the midi part. It sounded like my guitar and it can play the parts I now have difficulty with. Here is a portions to the sfz file.

//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// sfz Definition File
// Version 2
// My Tele Restrung based on the Cakewalk Script
//
//
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<region> sample=reStrings\E2.flac key=e2 lokey=c2
<region> sample=reStrings\F2.flac key=f2 tune=-25
<region> sample=reStrings\G2.flac key=g2 lokey=f#2 tune=-12
<region> sample=reStrings\A2.flac key=a2 lokey=g#2 tune=3
<region> sample=reStrings\B2.flac key=b2 lokey=a#2 tune=5
<region> sample=reStrings\F5.flac key=f5 tune=-2
<region> sample=reStrings\G5.flac key=g5 lokey=f#5 tune=1
<region> sample=reStrings\A5.flac key=a5 lokey=g#5 tune=4
<region> sample=reStrings\B5.flac key=b5 lokey=a#5 tune=-1
<region> sample=reStrings\C6.flac key=c6 tune=-4

Basically it tells the synth where to find the sample reStrings\sample. What to do with the samples. What keys do what key=? lokey=?? The range of the sound. One can also fine tune the samples tune = ? To set the note a few centimes.

You can do a lot more this is a simple use but sort of shows the use.

Tony
Posted By: DEddy Re: What is SFZ? - 12/13/17 09:13 AM
Thanks Tony for the info.
© PG Music Forums