PG Music Home
Posted By: Petimar 2018 build 207 wrong last chord playing - 12/19/17 11:24 PM
I have a Jazz tune where I want a Db7#11 chord to play as a hold on the last beat of the arrangement. What is playing is a big flaming Db major chord (ouch!!). I see 7#11 chords are in the allowed list. Anyone have an idea of why it isn't playing?
Posted By: Petimar Re: 2018 build 207 wrong last chord playing - 12/19/17 11:37 PM
After trying some things, looks like the only chords I can get to play on holds are C major and C minor. No dominant 7 or altered dominant of any type.

Help?

Thanks in advance!!
Try this:
Song Settings > Ending options > Uncheck 'Generate 2 bar ending for this song'
Create your own ending by placing your Db7#11... chord in the last bar as a hold

If 2 bar ending is set, it apparently ignores the chord extension.

After doing the above, this worked for me in my test (no ouch):

Attached picture 2017-12-20_13-38-59.jpg
Posted By: Petimar Re: 2018 build 207 wrong last chord playing - 12/20/17 01:53 AM
It wasn't checked in my original piece.

Further experiment:
I have tried dominant sharp 11 chords in several places (C7#11), not just the ending. Most of the time I'm getting straight dominant seventh chords (normal fifth), only once in a great while getting the #11 in there as well. Doesn't matter if they are hold or shots or regular playing chords in a progression. Doesn't even work if it is the ONLY chord in a song. Same results with C7b5.

Just tried this on several Jazz real track styles and they all gave the same results.

Is Natural Arrangement turned on for this song?
I don't know exactly the styles you are refering to, but I have already get this issue in other conditions.
Sometimes, I wanted a Cmaj9 and I got a C6 chord. Or as final chord I wanted a C69 and I hot just a C6 no way to get a C69.
As far I have understood, not all the chords among the +120 chord types are present in all the RealTracks, it depends mainly of the style and probably on some choices done during the recording of the RealTracks...I depends also of the instrument RT : you could get a hold Cmaj9 with a piano RT but not with a guitar RT or with a String Quartet RT.

It would be a good idea to get from PG Music with each RT a documentation listing all the possible chords for a given RealTracks, regular chords, shots and holds.
Posted By: rms Re: 2018 build 207 wrong last chord playing - 12/20/17 07:26 AM
Will only work if Natural Arrangements are turned OFF. Also C7#11 is an extension of a C7 chord and should have Root 3 5 7 9 and #11. So sometimes a #11 is in the melody and fits over a standard Dom7 chord.

Stylemaker does not follow normal music practice, real track jazz bass pick unsuitable root note for beat 1 of bar, now real tracks wont play the extended chord that is specified......... the list grows larger!

and I just paid for 2018 .... silly me !

Erol
Posted By: Petimar Re: 2018 build 207 wrong last chord playing - 12/21/17 04:57 PM
Turned off Natural Arrangement. Now I can get a b5 chord in the solo but can't get it on a hold or shot.
© PG Music Forums