PG Music Home
just upgraded to 2018 ultrapak from 2011. running ultrapak from the ext. hardrive. I am using an external midi synth, a Ketron SD2. I can now access all the banks and hear midi OK. I can also hear realtracks OK. The problem is with rendering an audio file with MIDI. I have rendered a realtracks only file ok.

When attempting to render a midi file to audio (either entirely midi, or a realtracks mixed with midi) the rendering fails. I want to use my external module, not a software synth, I do NOT have the VSTi/DXi box checked.

When attempting, I immediately get a message box: "Rendering of MIDI is completed. File Saved is named E:\bb\\Data\temp_wav__render.wav" There is an OK button to push, then the song plays, and the same message box is immediately repeated. After hitting OK button again, a yellow box says "Rendering failed".

Using the external module, i am used to waiting for the midi to record, but that does not seem to be happening.

Thank You
Welcome to the forum.

I also use MIDI external modules. My understanding is that you cannot render a song from BIAB that combines MIDI and audio if the MIDI is not a DXi or VSTi. What I do is open up Adobe Audition and record the song as it is playing in real time. If the project is more serious, I drag the tracks into a DAW, where I can mix and then export that mix to an audio track.
As Matt said, you can't render using an External Module. You can "record" the output, but the direct render requires the use of a DXi or VSTi synth.
Thanks for the reply. Perhaps "rendering" was a poor choice of words. In the 2011 version, I could go into the rendering audio tab and make audio files. If there was any MIDI (only used external module) then BIAB would automatically play the MIDI tracks and record them in real time. Any realtracks would then get added in when it processed. I did not have to use an external program. BIAB knew it had to record the MIDI first.

Anyway, I'm really looking for the fastest way to make an mp3 of my tracks to share with other people. Perhaps the answer lies in the DAW drag/drop section that did not exist in 2011?

Thank you,
Jamie Clark
If you did this before, you took the output of the MIDI module and routed it back into BIAB to mix with audio. If that isn’t what you did, then you were recording from a MIDI software synth (and not recording your MIDI external module).
Yes, the first scenario, played patches from Ketron, but I don't remember how i set that up, except that I did not check the vst/dxi box in the midi preferences dialog. I'm wondering if I also had to set something else....perhaps in the audio settings...I am playing with the recording features under audio now, perhaps i need to record 1st as a separate step. The menus have changed a lot since 2011. That's what I get for waiting so long to upgrade.. Thanks.
I think there used to be a box to check when rendering like "merge output with audio". Don't see that anymore...am giving up on that route for now.

I did find a workaround using your daw idea, but i used Audacity, which is free, then I had to add an extra cable from the output of my midi/audio interface (roland ua-25ex) back to my computer so that the computer is now recording both midi and realtracks in real time.

The ua-25ex is the "play" sound card as before, but my computer is now set to the "record" sound card.

Thanks for the idea.
That works. Very good.
© PG Music Forums