PG Music Home
Posted By: MovingAir Highest Rendering Settings? - 01/01/18 04:54 PM
Hello.
I love BIAB and have used it for years. And I just upgraded to the 2018 OmniPak Audiophile edition. However, I do have one question:
When rendering audio, how do I know I have it set to the highest possible render quality? I only ask because in the Preferences under RealTracks Settings, the "Tempo/Pitch Stretching Quality" is set to 'Medium' by default. I have changed that to 'High', but it makes me wonder if there are any other settings I should change to get the maximum sound quality out of BIAB. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Highest Rendering Settings? - 01/01/18 05:55 PM
The stretching process you refer to is involved when:

(a) BIAB creates a required chord pattern by transposing an existing audio pattern (for example, the recording Realtrack musician may not have played C#9 in his/her Realtrack creation but if C9 was played, this could easily be transposed up a semitone to C#9);

(b) BIAB uses Realtracks or Realdrums at tempos other than those at which the instruments were recorded.

By setting that option to 'High', and since the Audiophile version of the software uses WAV, you are setting the stage for the best audio production possible.

To get the best quality rendering of a final output audio, render to WAV. As far as I'm aware, there is nothing else that needs to be done. The reason that WAV is the best final render format is because it is lossless audio. By comparison, mp4, mp4, wma, are all lossy formats and, as such, reduced audio quality.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Highest Rendering Settings? - 01/02/18 10:41 AM
Noel, what about the 16.44 vs 48 khz settings? I think THIS is what he is asking about, no?

Recording at a higher khz?

Thanks. Trax
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Highest Rendering Settings? - 01/02/18 10:52 AM
I believe Noel’s answer is the right answer here. As to sample and bit rate, you should set your sound card to 44.1, 16-bit (CD quality) for BIAB.
Posted By: rharv Re: Highest Rendering Settings? - 01/02/18 10:45 PM
I think he noticed this option (see image below).

Not related to 44/48 as far as I know

Attached picture TempoShift_Quality-BB.jpg
Posted By: MovingAir Re: Highest Rendering Settings? - 01/03/18 12:56 AM
Yes, I do run my studio at 48k, not 44.1. It would be great if the resolution was that high natively, but it upsamples just fine in to my DAW. I'm really more concerned with getting the cleanest possible time/pitch stretch possible. Some things transpose like a dream, some things... Well, they get burried in the mix.
I just wanted to see if there were any other time/pitch settings I could adjust to make sure the final output is the best it can be. Now if they would just fix the normalizing issue with the rendering. (When you render a song to individual tracks, even when you have it set to normalize them all, they're usually really quiet. However, if I use the drag-and-drop feature for individual tracks, then they come out normalized to 0. But then the render resolution can be hit-or-miss. But that's another issue...)
© PG Music Forums