PG Music Home
Posted By: tonnie Styles not playing maj7#5 chords - 01/03/18 09:02 AM
I have adapted a guitar arrangement of “Deep In A Dream” in the style of Jim Hall.

The tune starts with the chord sequence: Cmaj7 / Cmanj7#5 in bar 1 and this is repeated as: Fmaj7 / Famj7#5 / in bar 3 in the A part of the song and of course repeated in the second and 3rd A part.

I have used several piano trio styles, the latest being _JBALADP style and in none the piano player is playing the #5.

In order to avoid a boring bass line, I have written the chords as: | Cmaj7/G / Camj7#5/Ab / | C69/A / ….|

What style would play the correct chord?

I am using BB version 2018 (507).
Brgds,
Tonnie
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Styles not playing maj7#5 chords - 01/03/18 09:38 AM
Tonnie,

For a chord to be able to be played by BIAB, it must be present in the original Realtrack recording. With this in mind, if the RT artist didn't play a particular chord when the RT was created, BIAB will substitute a predetermined chord.

If you're after the Cmaj7#5 chord, try a number of the different jazz piano and jazz guitar RTs. Some of the artists may have played it.

I'm pretty sure that you already know this but just in case it's slipped past, the chords you want can be obtained by simpler chords (more likely to have been played originally) and a slash bass...

Cmaj7 = Em/C

Cmaj7#5 = E/C

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Styles not playing maj7#5 chords - 01/03/18 10:49 AM
You could also notify PG Music Support that a particular style doesn’t support the chord. I’ve done this, although it was always jazz styles, and a patch has been issued. When this occurs, I assume it was just some form of indexing that was fixed, and that the artist(s) did record that chord type.
Posted By: tonnie Re: Styles not playing maj7#5 chords - 01/09/18 07:51 AM
I received the following response from Tech Support - Windows

“Hello Tonnie

If you are using slash chords then the program will play the closest variation possible since we did not record the actual chord Cmaj7#5/Ab. That would most likely be a C/Ab chord. There is a Cmaj7#5 for that style but not as a slash chord.”

Now I will try the following solution:

1) Freeze the bass track, to avoid a boring bass line of only C's
2) remove the slash chords, so the piano will play the Cmaj7#5.

Brgds,
Tonnie
© PG Music Forums