PG Music Home
Thanks in advance!

Attached picture P2 Symbol.PNG
It refers to Pedal Bass

Type Alt-F5 on the chord, and select Pedal bass, In your case it is probably something like Pedal Bass on beat 2 & 4 with bass of G for 2 bars.

from the help: "Pedal Bass is a repetitive figure played by the bass on the same root note (e.g., often the fifth of the scale) during a chord progression. You can set the bass part to play a pedal bass at any bar for a range of bars. For example, you could set the bass to pedal on a G note, on beats 2 and 4, throughout a chord progression for 4 bars, i.e., C6 | Ebdim | Dm7 |G7. This is useful for intros, interludes, and endings of choruses."
Interesting, thanks so much!
I started to play around with this and found something strange going on. It might be something normal but I wanted to run it by everyone.

Started a new song with this chord progressions in.

C6 | Ebdim | Dm7 |G7

Taking the 1st measure of C6, When I chose a Pedal Bass note of C on beats 2 and 4 for 1 measure, the second I move the mouse to the Bar Box, I noticed that the On box where I put the C note in disappears immediately. I tried other notes in the chromatic scale and they seem to be OK and they stay in the box.

I then changed keys to G and when I put a G note in the box for the G chord on beats 2 and 4 in the 1st measure, the same thing happened and the G note I placed in the On box disappeared the second I moveed the mouse to click the Bar box. However, I was able to put a C note in, along with all other chromatic notes whereas in the key of C I would not put the C note in.

In other words, it looks like I cannot put the note corresponding to the key that song is in, in the On box for that chord.

Key of C on the C chord: Cannot put a C note in the box. Can put a G or B or Bb or Eb in just fine.
Key of G on the G chord: Cannot put a G note in the box. Can put a C or Bb or F# or A in just fine.
Key fo A on the A chore: Cannot put in an A note in the box. Can put in a Bb or C or Db or E just fine.

Same thing goes for the 2nd measure of Ebdim when I try and put in a Eb note, the 3rd measure when I try and put in a D note and finally on the 4th measure when I try and put in a G note. If the chord is a C6, I cannot put in a C note, if the chord is Ebdim, I cannot put in a Eb note, if the chord is a Dm7, I cannot put in a D note and if the chord is a G7, I cannot put in a G note.

Thoughts.
Hi JCland
Unless I completely misunderstand what you are doing.
It seems to me that you cant specify the root note as the bass of the chord that you are playing/
Probably because this is what you would get by default without any modification .

I do not see a connection to the key of the song , only the chord you are playing which could occur in any song key
Just my thoughts
Mike
Originally Posted By: jcland
I started to play around with this and found something strange going on. It might be something normal but I wanted to run it by everyone.

Started a new song with this chord progressions in.

C6 | Ebdim | Dm7 |G7

Taking the 1st measure of C6, When I chose a Pedal Bass note of C on beats 2 and 4 for 1 measure, the second I move the mouse to the Bar Box, I noticed that the On box where I put the C note in disappears immediately. I tried other notes in the chromatic scale and they seem to be OK and they stay in the box.

I then changed keys to G and when I put a G note in the box for the G chord on beats 2 and 4 in the 1st measure, the same thing happened and the G note I placed in the On box disappeared the second I moveed the mouse to click the Bar box. However, I was able to put a C note in, along with all other chromatic notes whereas in the key of C I would not put the C note in.

In other words, it looks like I cannot put the note corresponding to the key that song is in, in the On box for that chord.

Key of C on the C chord: Cannot put a C note in the box. Can put a G or B or Bb or Eb in just fine.
Key of G on the G chord: Cannot put a G note in the box. Can put a C or Bb or F# or A in just fine.
Key fo A on the A chore: Cannot put in an A note in the box. Can put in a Bb or C or Db or E just fine.

Same thing goes for the 2nd measure of Ebdim when I try and put in a Eb note, the 3rd measure when I try and put in a D note and finally on the 4th measure when I try and put in a G note. If the chord is a C6, I cannot put in a C note, if the chord is Ebdim, I cannot put in a Eb note, if the chord is a Dm7, I cannot put in a D note and if the chord is a G7, I cannot put in a G note.

Thoughts.

Just tried what you posted. I got the same results. Hopefully PG will see this and fix it. Meanwhile you can do a work-around as described in Help - Rests, Shots and Holds.
It does look like I cannot pick the root note of the chord. But what If I was playing a Bluegrass song in the key of C and I wanted it to pedal some C bass notes on the C chord instead of just having BIAB play 1-5-1-5-1-5 over and over, which is typical in bluegrass. It looks like I cannot do that at this time.
You are correct. It's always been this way.

I don't know if that is a program problem, or if it is deliberate. I would prefer the ability to be able to enter a slash chord with the same value as the parent chord. Musically it makes sense.
Originally Posted By: jcland
It does look like I cannot pick the root note of the chord. But what If I was playing a Bluegrass song in the key of C and I wanted it to pedal some C bass notes on the C chord instead of just having BIAB play 1-5-1-5-1-5 over and over, which is typical in bluegrass. It looks like I cannot do that at this time.

If I understand you correctly, I would just enter C in each chord cell, assuming the style is 2 bass notes to the bar, not 4 to the bar.
© PG Music Forums