PG Music Home
Posted By: Bob Calver does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/17/18 07:33 PM
One track had the perfect steel guitar part. so I froze it and exported to RealBAnd to save as a seq file. its preserved as I want it.

unfroze in BIAB next time to try a different arrangement but can't ever duplicate anything like the same steel guitar part. same style same patches totally different part. regenerate lots of times but nothing close to the original steel guitar.

is there a routine built into BIAB that prevents the same licks being played and insists there's no duplication for a certain number of re-generations? or is it totally random each time and I was just lucky first time?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/17/18 07:40 PM
It's random, Bob. That's how the BIAB/RB generating process works.

Like you, when I hear something that I really like, I save it immediately as a wav file so that I can load it into my DAW if I want to. I also freeze the BIAB track(s) and save the file with a name that identifies what I like about that file. For example... "mysong-excellent guitar bars 1-8.mgu"

I end up with quite a collection of files but because they take up so little disk space, it's not an issue.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: JohnJohnJohn Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/17/18 10:02 PM
and you need to be very careful because Realband does not honor a frozen BIAB track if you open it in RB.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/18/18 09:20 AM
If RB doesn't honour a frozen BIAB track how do I save a file as a seq file?
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/18/18 09:27 AM
You don't save it as a SEQ file in BiaB.

You would save it as a BiaB type file (.SGU, .MGU), then in RealBand open the BiaB file and then save it as a native RealBand file type (.SEQ) from RealBand.
Posted By: Samuel Davis Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/18/18 12:02 PM
I dont use RealBand. Instead I use Cubase as my main DAW. That way I can freeze the tracks in BIAB and drop them as an audio file that won't change. Then I can go back into BIAB and render new versions without loosing the original. I especially find this useful for solo tracks. I'll usually take 2 or 3 renders of the same solo and splice them together to make something I like.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/19/18 01:52 PM
I think all is explained. The track was originally generated and saved to PowerTracks when I had the megapack at the beginning of January. THat's the reference I've been using to try to regenerate the steel guitar. I liked BIAB 2018 so much I bought an upgrade to the ultrapack.

I checked the real tracks settings and there is an option to replace based on tempo. I think with the upgrade I got a whole lot of new RealTracks so now BIAB can substitute a RealTrack I didn't have before. So the steel guitar is actually different - 621 as opposed to 323 working from memory. Similar but different - hence the inability to get a steel guitar part reminiscent of the original.

It's a steep learning curve from the 2008 version!
Posted By: Mike Head Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/19/18 03:05 PM
Hi Bob
By the numbers you have given it seems like the original was a midi style ,
Not a real track style .
You don’t have to let BIAB substitute reaktracks for midi.
The setting is in Preferences / Options / Realtracks: remove tick from box Auto replace MIDI styles with real tracks when songs loaded.
Sorry if you knew this.
Regards
Mike
Posted By: Noel96 Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/19/18 04:46 PM
Bob,

One thing that might help with the tempo-based substitution of Realtracks is that if a single ~ character appears in front of a RT name (in the mixer), it means that there is a better choice of RT available but it hasn't been substituted.

If, however, two ~~ characters appear in front of the RT name (in the mixer), it means that the RT is a substitution.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. You won't regret getting the Ultrapak, it's incredible software.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/20/18 07:54 AM
thanks guys. my problem is the sudden upgrade from 2008 to 2018 and the almost total reinvention of the program i need to learn!
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 01/20/18 12:16 PM
One little trick may help you: Ctrl+T toggles from the older interface that will look more familiar to you, and the new interface that was introduced in BIAB 2017.
Posted By: Stratso Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 02/07/18 08:15 PM
Hello

Sorry to break into this resolved thread.

I'm new to BiaB and I'm working on my first song (transposing actually.) Right now I'm using BiaB as accompaniment for singing practice and eventually for lead sheets and chord charts.

So I just dove in head first and input the chords from a chord sheet that I'm working from and hit play. BiaB pretty much nailed it on the first try. I would like to experiment with some different styles and arrangements but I don't want to lose this beginners luck version.

"If you freeze the whole song, you don’t have to wait at all for the song to regenerate. Next time you play, it is ready to go."

This sounds like if I freeze the whole some it automatically regens the whole song. I'm a little confused on the freezing thing.

If I don't freeze a song can it get changed randomly? The help file is not real clear on this.

I've saved the song in BiaB and have not exported it to RB. If I don't freeze it in BiaB will RB change it?

Thanks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 02/07/18 08:28 PM
Welcome to the forums.
Quote:
This sounds like if I freeze the whole some it automatically regens the whole song. I'm a little confused on the freezing thing.

If I don't freeze a song can it get changed randomly? The help file is not real clear on this.

My understanding is definitely 'Yes'. Next time you generate it will create a new arrangement of the song, unless the tracks you wanted to retain were frozen.

Quote:
I've saved the song in BiaB and have not exported it to RB. If I don't freeze it in BiaB will RB change it?
Yes, again. RealBand will generate a further variation of your arrangement.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 02/07/18 11:53 PM
If you get one you like, freeze it and save it. Then save it under another name, unfreeze, and continue to experiment.
Posted By: Stratso Re: does BIAB hate to repeat itself? - 02/08/18 03:24 AM
Thanks
© PG Music Forums