PG Music Home
Posted By: RobertK Rhythm Exercises and Drum Notation - 01/25/18 03:35 PM
Hello PG Music Forumers,

I am new to Band in a Box as a regular, and I am looking for any resources available for drum study, or for anyone interested in developing their ability to read and write rhythm figures.

I am a little surprised and disappointed that I am not immediately finding stuff.

Please share any thoughts or resources. References to third party add-ons are also welcome.

Thank You and Best Wishes,

Robert K.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Rhythm Exercises and Drum Notation - 01/25/18 06:04 PM
About writing rhythmic figures, one of the most helpful BIAB features is using the QWERTY keyboard to punch in a difficult rhythmic figure by playing the rhythm as one note - one finger. Then, if you want to edit a melody entered in this way, it's easy to drag the pitches up or down as appropriate. In the editable notation mode, or the staff roll notation mode [piano roll], editing of note placement and lengths is easy, and then you switch back to notation to see the results. If these things aren't familiar to you as a newcomer, let me know and I can give more detail.

And welcome to the forum.

As for playing rhythms correctly, over twenty years ago there was a computer program I used called Amadeus that allowed the student to play back phrases and the computer would grade on accuracy. I'm quite sure the technology has progressed far beyond that now.

EDIT: I suggest we end this thread and continue with the same question in the Beginner's Forum, where you have other responses.
Posted By: RobertK Re: Rhythm Exercises and Drum Notation - 06/26/18 09:22 PM
Hello Matt, This is a very late reply, but it is none the less sincere. THANK YOU for your quick reply.
© PG Music Forums