PG Music Home
Posted By: paulpaul midi file to style wizard - 03/04/18 03:58 AM
hello

whilst creating a new song in biab its possible to create 24 substyles within the song.

what i would like to know is...........

is this possible in the style creation wizard (auto create style from midi file) there only seems to be an option of creating 2 substyles A and B
whilst in the style creation wizard. is it possible to add more substyles from the midi file.
thanks
Posted By: John-Luke Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/04/18 07:50 AM
With the Style Creation Wizard, you can create a 2-substyle style1# (A et B patterns).

Repeat the operation for the creation a 2-substyle style2#.

And finally repeat the operation for the master substyle : 2-substyle style+.

style1#, style2# and style+ are just examples, you can name them whatever you want.

so, you will get a 6-variation Multistyle:
style+ : a & b variations
style1# : c & d variations
style2# : e & f variations.

You can go up to 24 variations.

It should be documented somewhere in the manual.

But I recommend you to be acquainted with the Style Creation Wizard and LS3 subtilities. I recommend you to read and read the LS3 tutorial and make some experimentations. It should work fine.

Put all your own styles in the BIAB Styles folder, and do a 'Complete' Rebuild of the StylePicker to show them as User styles.

LS3 Tutorial
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/04/18 05:07 PM
John-Luke, I thought BiaB quit using LS3 files in the 2017 edition. Wasn't that why Peter Gannon and Bob Norton had to come up with an alternative method for the new StylePicker to recognize both third party styles and the genre settings for third party styles?
Posted By: John-Luke Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/05/18 05:43 AM
Maybe alternative method may be used. Could you detail how it is possible since 2017 to create user styles/substyles without *.LS3 files ?

It appears that the LS3 method is still valid and I only use this one.
Posted By: jford Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/05/18 04:14 PM
I believe the new method was to allow filtering on Norton (versus other) styles.

But I believe the LS3 files are still read by StylPicker to obtain the information about the style (straight vs swing, 4/4 vs 3/4, comment, etc).

But I could be wrong.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/05/18 04:35 PM
I've just done a search for LS3 through previous BIAB pdf manuals.

The last time it was mentioned in a manual, if CTRL+F is working correctly, was in the 2015 edition. Since then, there is no mention of this file extension.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/05/18 05:04 PM
LS3 files are indeed no longer mentionned in the BIAB manual : I think it is due to the fact that it is a very technical information, applicable only to someone who is making an LS3 file (not the typical user).

But the LS3 tutorial is still here in the Support section of the present site.
Posted By: jford Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/06/18 11:55 AM
It has to get the style information from somewhere; I've not seen anywhere else yet.

Although, that goes back to one of my longstanding wishlist items in that I don't understand why the specific style information isn't just stored in the style file and can be read by StylePicker. There shouldn't be a need to maintain separate text files for that information. And then give us the ability to edit it.

If you create your own styles, you can then share them by just sharing the file; you don't need to have accompanying text file that contains all the relevant settings for that style.

But that hasn't happened in twenty year, but a guy can still wish.
Posted By: John-Luke Re: midi file to style wizard - 03/06/18 01:31 PM
In the LS3 tutorial, PG Music explains the need of *.LS3 files.

You're right, just for sharing a user style, there is no need to create LS3 data.
LS3 is required only to show the user style in the Stylepicker.
© PG Music Forums