PG Music Home
Posted By: Rich59 Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 04:17 PM
Can anyone recommend what wave synth plugins are compatible with BIAB and RB., without having to use a third party software.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 04:35 PM
Rich google/bing 32 bit wav synth plug ins and you will find a number of them. I only use 64 bit plug-ins so I can not suggest any 32 bit ones.
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 05:42 PM
Thank you, I will check that out tonight.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 06:32 PM
Hi Rich,

You likely won't get many special results by including the word "wave" in a search, as that word doesn't really mean anything specific in the synthesizer world (other than the company name Waves, whose products aren't directly compatible with our software).

Are you looking for wavetable synths like that Codex synth we discussed in that other thread?

If so, wavetable synthesis is a specific kind of digital synthesis (one of my favourites, great for slowly evolving sounds like pads). U-He's Zebra uses wavetables, so does Xfer Records' Serum, and Waldorf's PPG Wave, Nave and Largo. We haven't tested these with BIAB ourselves, but there's no reason they wouldn't work as they're just normal VSTi plugins with no special requirements.

www.kvraudio.com is a great resource for researching plugins, they have a directory of pretty much every VST or VSTi on the market. If you go their Products section, select Best Synth Plugins, you can narrow the search by price, OS, synthesis type, etc...

I hope this helps!

Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 07:24 PM

it does help. Thanks I am looking for pad sounds and an hopefully one that can arrpegiate as well.. Things like that.

The sounds included in the player are either public domain, CC 3.0 with attribution or made strictly for music production. The license for each sound is written on their respective GUIs. The public domain sounds can be use for sound design projects without any restrictions while the CC 3.0 with attribution requires attributions.

Can you explain what the above means?
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 07:45 PM
Hi Rich,

I don't think the PPG Wave has an arpeggiator, but all the others I listed do. Waldorf Largo's arpeggiator is fantastic, it's based on their Blofeld hardware synth that I have at home. Great pad machine.

Zebra is great for pads too, it was the main synth Hans Zimmer used for the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises soundtracks.

Googling "wavetable vst synth" will find any others that I missed, but I believe those are the most popular. smile

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Rich59

The sounds included in the player are either public domain, CC 3.0 with attribution or made strictly for music production. The license for each sound is written on their respective GUIs. The public domain sounds can be use for sound design projects without any restrictions while the CC 3.0 with attribution requires attributions.

Can you explain what the above means?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Where are you seeing this?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 08:02 PM
Samplescience synth. This is what is states about the available sounds.
Iy's free but I am new to this so before I look for something else I wanted to experiment a bit.
It is asking me to copy the plugin .dll file and .instruments folder in your DAW VST plugin folder.

I don't know where to find the file. I open the zip file and see two items but no .dll
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Synth plug ins - 03/08/18 08:51 PM
Hi, it looks like they're telling you that each sound's license terms will be explained by the interface (GUI = Graphical User Interface) when you select that sound.

CC refers to Creative Commons, who provide ready-to-use license agreements. The ones marked "CC 3.0 with attribution" can be used as long as you provide attribution (credit) as described by the Creative Commons license version 3.0.

There's some more info here: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

"Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use."

The sounds marked "Public Domain" can be used freely.

I've never used or installed SampleScience, but if you provide the full file names of what you're seeing in the ZIP file, I might be able to point you in the right direction. You may need to talk to SampleScience themselves though.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Synth plug ins - 03/09/18 11:42 AM
I figured out what I was doing wrong but I could not understand how to apply it to BIAB although I use other vst plugins for effects and the Coyote synth without issue. I uninstsalled it because I did not care for it at all. I realize what I need is actually good presets for synth sounds like the arrpegiator without having to delve into creating the sounds myself. The Coyote has a couple of synth pads but it is limited. I have virtually no experience with creating my own sounds and I am a novice when it comes to midi so I need to keep things simple. I am creating backing tracks for worship and would like to add orchestral as well as synth pad type sounds. Sample Tank 3 as a standalone maybe?
Now that I figured that out I need to find a synth with good presets that will not break the bank. Any specific suggestions would be appreciated. The Pastor at my church wants to cover the cost for the midi controller which is great. I also just finished watching a BIAB tutorial on using BIAB with standalone synths. I think that may be a better approach for me. One question is if I am using a standalone synth for a track or two and then save the song , does it save the sound from the synth or do I have to actually press record and record the synth sounds into the song?
© PG Music Forums