PG Music Home
Posted By: madoues XML not working BIAB 2018 build 507 - 03/17/18 10:40 PM
Hi,

I wish to export a melody with chords to XML to import in my notation program. It used to work, however this is likely the first time I use the feature since the 2018 version. And it doesn't work; there is an error when trying to open in my notation program, but even BIAB just opens with a blank screen.

Is this a bug or are there any settings that can explain this?
I tried with a few songs also, same result.
I just downloaded the latest version and will try that.

EDIT!!! Installed Build 513, same result.
RE-EDIT!! Just confirmed it worked with my 2016 version two month ago, just before installing 2018.

Same computer that it worked on before.
EDIT!! Windows 7 updates have been added to the computer;

The computer is completely offline.

Dan
Posted By: Noel96 Re: XML not working BIAB 2018 build 507 - 03/17/18 11:06 PM
Dan,

Have you tried ignoring the error?

When I load a BIAB XML file into MuseScore, I sometimes get an error but I just ignore it and the file loads ok.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: madoues Re: XML not working BIAB 2018 build 507 - 03/17/18 11:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, Noel96,

Yes I get this all the time, and it usually works, but this time I just get an empty page. The info must be there from the size of the XML file.

In Musescore, clicking "Show Details" on the error window always give the same result:

"Fatal error: line 6 column 58 Expected "#" or '[a-zA-Z]', but got''.

Dan

EDIT!! BTW, I think many of those errors I normally get come from BIAB not exporting tuplets the way Musescore expects, because I get a lot of measures that are too long, like 4 1/2 beats or 5 beats in a 4/4 measure when there are tuplets present. I have to insert a new measure, re-enter correctly, then delete the bad measure.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: XML not working BIAB 2018 build 507 - 03/17/18 11:17 PM
Dan,

Have you tried opening your MGU file directly into MuseScore.

It's experimental but MuseScore does read BIAB files. (I've had mixed success with this. Sometimes I need to modify half a dozen bars or so and sometimes it works fine.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: madoues Re: XML not working BIAB 2018 build 507 - 03/17/18 11:24 PM
Oooooohhhh, HUGE thanks for that one!!!

It worked, just the melody line and chords.

That is what I am looking for right now, however,
I often like to print leadsheets with two parts:
1) melody line and
2) soloist line with the scales instead of solo.

Can this be achieved somehow opening the MGU directly into Musescore?
I don't suppose, but hoping.... smile

EDIT: I guess it wouldn't be possible because the scales are not in the MGU file, just the melody, style and the chords.

RE-EDIT!! Yes it is possible! I just moved the scales from soloist to melody in BIAB, saved the file under a new name and re-opened in Musescore. Worked like a charm. Only thing, it has to be done in two steps, one for the melody and one for the scales, but it can be done!

Thanks again Noel!

Dan
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: XML not working BIAB 2018 build 507 - 03/18/18 12:19 AM
To my knowledge, it has been possible for several years to open a BIAB SGU file in MuseScore. There was no need to use Music XML.

I have found that, surprisingly, MuseScore is the only notation program that gives a decent error message when importing Music XML. And it’s free.
© PG Music Forums